The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Spoilers? Really? The game is six years old, man. I thought most people who cared to play it would know about that by now.

Personally, my cutoff point for spoiler tags is six months.

Avaitor

Still better than Skyward Sword.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel on August 25, 2012, 11:50:58 AM
Spoilers? Really? The game is six years old, man. I thought most people who cared to play it would know about that by now.

I'm the same way. It's just that I think there are a number of people here who haven't played TP.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Nel on August 25, 2012, 11:50:58 AM

I love Zelda and I still haven't played the game yet on a count of I don't own either a GC or a Wii. I have personally avoided most spoilers as I still one day plan on playing the game.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 25, 2012, 11:19:57 AM
Be careful with spoilers, Nel. :P

Anyway, I was a big fan of TP. The dungeons blow WW's out of the water (no pun intended), and I really liked the atmosphere and story. Admittedly, some of Zelda's bad habits showed in this game, like too much filler content. But then again, are you guys letting WW get away with that? :P
Other than the Triforce hunt which comes near the tail end, I don't find much filler with it.

TP had filler EVERYWHERE. It's the main reason I lost interest... well that and most of the gadgets being completely useless outside of the dungeon you found them in. It was something I thought they were going to fix in SS, but ended up with other problems instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 25, 2012, 06:28:10 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 25, 2012, 11:19:57 AM
Be careful with spoilers, Nel. :P

Anyway, I was a big fan of TP. The dungeons blow WW's out of the water (no pun intended), and I really liked the atmosphere and story. Admittedly, some of Zelda's bad habits showed in this game, like too much filler content. But then again, are you guys letting WW get away with that? :P
Other than the Triforce hunt which comes near the tail end, I don't find much filler with it.

TP had filler EVERYWHERE. It's the main reason I lost interest... well that and most of the gadgets being completely useless outside of the dungeon you found them in. It was something I thought they were going to fix in SS, but ended up with other problems instead.

TP had filler in the intro, in the repeated Lost Woods portion, and finding those letters before the final dungeon. All of those are quite short. I guess you could make an argument for the wolf parts, but even then, those are a pretty big part of the game's story and atmosphere.

WW had the Triforce hunt which was pretty long, as well as those 2 sections before the Earth and Wind dungeons where you gotta go constantly run back and forth between finding items to reach the dungeon, as well as finding the Sages. That amounts to a larger amount of time.

A game with filler EVERYWHERE, is SS. :P

Spark Of Spirit

The intro to TP was most definitely NOT short. It was one of my biggest pet peeves.

I didn't say WW had no filler, but it was a lot more enjoyable (Hunt aside) than any of the quests in TP in which I also found the wolf parts really dull.

But as I said previously I'm not the biggest 3D Zelda fan so I already know my opinion on it isn't popular.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

So I feel like trying to rank all the Zelda games from worst to best, as well as putting in reasons for them. I'll start at the bottom and work up toward the top. It's spoiler-free, so anyone can read it all if they are curious. Prepare for a lot of writing.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords
Is it a crime that this game is lowest on the list? Certainly not. It's little more than a multiplayer mini-game. They didn't intend for Ocarina of Time quality. What this game set out to do, it does adequately. It's nothing special. But for a single playthrough, it's fun to check out with friends, especially now that it's playable without all the crap that was necessary in its GBA form.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
Again, AAA quality wasn't expected from this game. Four Swords Adventures is essentially a better version of Four Swords, but with more story and a whole lot of A Link to the Past nostalgia. Like its predecessor, this game is fun for a single playthrough. Plus, it's also one of the most visually appealing games in the series, hence why I used such a big image to represent it. Wish I had gotten a waterfall picture...

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Phantom Hourglass is, hands down, the worst traditional Zelda game. This mostly has to do with the infamous Temple of the Ocean King, which is the single worst part of the entire series. It's repetitive (because you're forced to go through it multiple times through the game), and its timed, just to make you do it all over again if you fail right before the end. And that's among the other problems, like the dungeons aren't too inspired, the controls are a bit flimsy, and the music is boring for the most part. But on the other hand, a few puzzles are clever, the story can be interesting, Linebeck is one of the best characters in this whole series, and the humor is also great. In no way is Phantom Hourglass a top tier game, but that's not easy to achieve in this franchise. Weak Zelda game, but good game in its own right. Good fun.

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
I know people on this site tend to lug this in with Phantom Hourglass, but have you guys actually played it? It's far from perfect, but the majority of its issues are things it just couldn't let go of from the last game (such as the mediocre stylus controls). But aside from those, Spirit Tracks is quite an enjoyable game. Plus, it features Princess Zelda in her best role... at least as of the time of this game's release. The dungeons are solid, items pretty fun, the soundtrack is simply awesome, the story's good, and just some great Zelda moments in general can be found in this game. Plus, they replaced the Temple of the Ocean King with one of the more clever dungeons in the series, the Tower of Spirits. Again, it's definitely held back from Phantom Hourglass issues, but Spirit Tracks still fixed many of that game's flaws and created an adventure that's much more enjoyable.

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
The last top-down, 2D Zelda released as of now. The Minish Cap seems to be a favorite here... Why, though? I think it's a noticeable step below the handheld Zelda games that came before it. Truthfully, I was close to giving this spot to Spirit Tracks because I think that game is just as enjoyable, but I ended up giving it to this out of respect (as I far prefer the direction and concepts of this game for the series overall). But I guess that's enough hating on it, because The Minish Cap is still a solid game. A little too easy and short, but its overworld, dungeons, music, and combat were great. It also features Vaati at his best. And I loved the final battle. I also loved the subtle storytelling of this game (sadly though, it seems Nintendo no longer cares about it). Let's hope that Nintendo decides to go through with their plans to make another 2D Zelda.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
A game that was released in a time where sequels were a new thing, and it shows. It should go without saying, but Zelda II is very different from its predecessor, not to mention every other game in the franchise. I can wholly understand why others would dislike this game, but I think that Zelda II was a great game. It introduced some things that are commonplace in Zelda now, such as towns. It also had deeper combat and magic, which is now a thing of the past. And of course, it's by far the hardest game in the series. But you know, with the exception of being thrown back to the very beginning after every Game Over (that was very annoying), I think this game's challenge is pretty fair. It's nowhere near the hardest game on the Nintendo. That challenge might make it harder to pick up and replay than some other games, but I still think Zelda II was a fine game, and beating it is an accomplishment for any gamer.

The Legend of Zelda
The original. The beginning of this legendary franchise, and one of the forefathers of the RPG genre, The Legend of Zelda just barely made my top 10. That's not because it's a weak game, it's just that many games in the series took this game's ideas, and improved on them. The controls are a bit limited, some secrets are too hard to find without a walkthrough, and the overworld map is unreadable. But putting those aside, what's funny is that other games expanded on these ideas so much, that this game is practically unique in the series now. There's more real exploration, the storyline is less scripted, the challenge is higher than any other game in the series (excluding Zelda II), and some of the items in this game were never seen again. It is no longer one of the greatest games ever, but it's definitely one of the most important, for we would've never had Zelda without it.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
This game, as well as its partner, Oracle of Ages, is frequently seen as one of the best titles in the series. And I completely understand why. Because it's excellent. The dungeons are all great, especially later on. Also, the items are seriously awesome, some of the best in the series (but many were never seen again). I'd also like to mention that final boss battle, which is probably one of the hardest fights in the entire series. The ability to play around with seasons adds much variety to the gameplay, and the inclusion of another entire world only adds to that.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The other game in the pair. I can see why anyone would have trouble picking which of these games is better. But to me, it's definitely Oracle of Ages. The level design is just a little more clever (the items aren't quite as good, though). Plus, the story is far more engaging, because of characters like Nayru, who is far more developed than Din, and Veran who is a much better villain than Onox. Also, the soundtrack is fantastic. In addition to those, I preferred the ability to control time. I just think it changed things more than control over seasons did. But I guess comparing these games is pointless, as they are both excellent and essential. And linking them together creates a fantastic Zelda experience.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Don't hate, guys. Skyward Sword is a great game. I can see the problems that most have with it, and they do keep it from the ranks of the very best. It's padded with tedious busywork, Fi is annoying, a lot of the motion controls are simply tacked on, and so on. But you know what? How much bad can all that really be? If you can look past it, Skyward Sword is a very enjoyable adventure. It has some ingenious dungeon design, and that includes some of my favorite Zelda dungeons ever. It has an excellent central town which, in this series, is only beaten by Clock Town from Majora's Mask. Wii Motion Plus' implementation isn't perfect, but it's good enough and offers a fresh way to play Zelda. The music is a mixed bag. Some songs were just beautiful, but others aren't so memorable. The story's execution got a bit heavy-handed in parts, but I really love the connection between Link and Zelda here. It's for that reason that Skyward Sword has one of my favorite openings in the series, because there's just something so... warm, about it. You truly do care that Link wants to protect Zelda. And that's the mark of a good game. Skyward Sword kept me invested.

talonmalon333

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Capcom's Oracle duo was great. But in my opinion, they did not quite top Nintendo's own handheld achievement, Link's Awakening. This is definitely one of the more... quirky games in the series, mainly because the events of this game are a dream (I consider that to be as much of a spoiler as Darth Vader being Luke's father is). The dungeons are all great, and the overworld is more filled than perhaps any other game in the series. And I just love the atmosphere of this game, which is helped by the soundtrack. I should also mention the humor, which is some of the best in the series. And when this game was re-relased on the GBC, the humor and quirkiness was only heightened. I should also mention, Link's Awakening has one of the best Zelda storylines. First of all is the bond between Link and Marin, which I feel is one of the best in the series (probably only beaten by Link and Zelda in Skyward Sword). But on top of that is the idea to make this adventure a dream, which actually makes it much better. Just put yourself in Link's place. You get attached to these people in a tropical paradise, and maybe even finding yourself falling for a cute girl there (who's obviously into you). But you still have a home that you must return to, and the only way to do that is to erase Koholint Island. Forever... You have to admit, that's pretty heavy, particularly for a series that isn't known for grade-A storytelling. And I think the game's story and atmosphere can be felt strongly in its signature musical piece, the Ballad of the Wind Fish. It's just one more way that Link's Awakening stepped out of Zelda's comfort zone. And it was all the better for that.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The definitive 2D Zelda experience. A Link to the Past is a masterfully crafted Zelda adventure from start to finish, with perfect pacing, fantastic dungeons, a complete overworld, a captivating storyline, and more. The Zelda team wisely took the concepts of the original Zelda and built them into something far greater. I love the introduction of two different worlds in this game, as both the light and dark worlds are very thrilling. I loved the action in this game, despite it being limited to very few abilities. The final battle against Ganon is very memorable, and I also love the suspense that's built up to his appearance... And beyond all that, A Link to the Past just means something special to me. It was the very first Zelda game I ever played. I remember how much I loved going to my friend's house back then, to play this game. And I remember how awesome it was to eventually own it for myself. It was my favorite video game. Over the course of time, that friend and I long ago parted ways, but I think we'll always have the memories of this game to look back on and smile at. As I became a fan of the series and played more of these games, A Link to the Past took a few steps back to other games. But even still, it's quality has stood the test of time perfectly, and it is still deserving of a spot in my top 5. Would it be in this spot had I not grown up with it? I would say yes. My decision to place it here had very little to do with nostalgia.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Now we're really getting into top tier Zelda material. The Wind Waker is a beautiful game, in more ways than just the graphics... But since I can't not talk about that, it's definitely worth mentioning that The Wind Waker is one of the most beautiful looking games in the series. So many sites, such as the endless ocean, are just gorgeous to look at. But that's not all this game has to offer. The Wind Waker captures the feeling of adventure perfectly. Was the ocean too big? Maybe, but I don't care. Sailing as the moon rise over those waters, wondering what I would find was so fun, no matter if I came across a submarine housing a great treasure, or the haunting Ghost Ship. Touches like that just aren't found in recent games like Skyward Sword. The Great Sea was filled with mystery. In fact, I still haven't found everything there is to get out there. As for the main quest, this game presents to you one of the best Zelda storylines yet, with an ending that's both emotional and beautiful, as well as the best villain in the series and possibly one of the greatest video game antagonists ever. The dungeon design is also great. It's true that the main temples are a step down from previous games in terms of quality. However, the game more than makes up for that with the side dungeons that you find across the ocean. Some of them are required, such as that labyrinth where you sink deeper and deeper into the earth fighting monsters, or the mysterious basement of a seemingly safe beach house. Others are completely optional, like one where you find an entire nest of ChuChus (just to remind people who forget, ChuChus are monsters made of jelly and appear in different colors). I would also like to talk about the combat. Not only are the controls more smooth than the Nintendo 64 Zelda games, but this game also introduced an amusing "Parry" attack, which is more effective than the regular sword attacks. And then there are the items which are great and plentiful, the best of which being the grappling hook. The music is awesome in this game. Zelda music has never been as versatile as it is here, and this game features some of the most recognized songs in the series. Did I miss anything? I could talk about how good this game is for hours, but you guys probably get it. The Wind Waker is great.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
It seems like hardcore Zelda fans are divided on which GameCube Zelda (unless you consider Twilight Princess to be a Wii title) they prefer. To me, it's a close call. But Twilight Princess edges out over The Wind Waker. It's such a beautiful, atmospheric game with fantastic gameplay. On top of that is a very well written and emotional story, and you've got a masterpiece of game design. Twilight Princess has arguably the greatest dungeons in the entire series, particularly the later ones. It also features Wolf Link, who travels around the Twilight. As for the Twilight itself, it's a key component of the plot, but fans have mixed opinions on it from a gameplay point of view. Admittedly, it's not the hell on earth that they really could've made it into, but I don't think it's bad, nor does it actually detract from the overall experience. Because Twilight Princess really is a great experience. The character named Midna is a big part of it. I won't say much about her or the story itself, because I know there are a few people here who haven't beaten this game yet. But I don't think you'll be disappointed. In the story, there is one plot twist that some people didn't like. Again, I won't spoil, but I'll just say that I think it was great, and leave it at that. Twilight Princess also has one of the biggest inventories in the series. They aren't all used much, but they are very fun to use, and by this point I think we're all used to Zelda items that are ignored after a single dungeon. This also has the best mini-games in the series, with the single best being the fishing pond. That was in previous games, but it's the best by far here. In addition to being much more fun, it also has fantastic atmosphere. And that's something Twilight Princess really excels at, in every single way from beginning to end. The soundtrack greatly contributed to this fact, too. It's not as versatile as The Wind Waker's music. However, I think it's the most emotional Zelda soundtrack, and arguably the best in the entire series. In so many ways, this game is so top notch. In 2004, Twilight Princess was introduced and was given one of the biggest applauds in video game history. And in 2006, they truly delivered.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The big one. Nintendo's signature piece de resistance. A title that's frequently considered to be the greatest video game ever released, Ocarina of Time is a legend in the world of gaming. And that's not all just due to its importance, because Ocarina of Time's quality stands on its own. It is simply a perfect package. While other games in the franchise have their setbacks, like Phantom Hourglass' Temple of the Ocean King or Twilight Princess' wolf segments, Ocarina of Time doesn't have anything of the sort. It's nearly flawless. Its pacing is unbelievably slick, its top quality dungeon design never falters, its side content is quite enjoyable, its music is consistently great, and even the graphics aren't unappealing over a decade after the game's release. And then there's the ability to switch between child and adult Link, a concept that is similar, but superior, to A Link to the Past's two worlds. All of this is held together by a storyline that might not have as much of an emotional punch as later installments. But even still, it keeps you engaged with some of the most memorable plot twists in any video game. Everyone remembers that iconic scene of Link pulling the Master Sword from that pedestal, only to wake up as an adult in a cruel, harsh world unlike the comforting one that he had grown accustomed to. And the only way for him to emerge victorious was to accept this world, to conquer dungeons and grow in strength until you can defeat anything. Once you vanquish Ganon and save Zelda, you look back and remember the experience. And quite an experience it was. Ocarina of Time will live forever in the world of gaming.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time, as stated earlier, was hailed by many as the best game ever. So how on earth could you possibly top that? Well, in the end, I didn't have an easy time picking another game over it. But Majora's Mask still won. This game is a perfect example of how to sequel a perfect game. Ocarina of Time was virtually flawless, so all they had to do was build on that while still giving the game its own spin to become something original. For Miyamoto to have given us two games like this, the Nintendo 64 era was probably the golden age for Zelda. First Ocarina of Time brought us a perfect package. And then Majora's Mask fleshed that out. It might've been smaller, with a more compact world and fewer dungeons. But the dungeons that are there are all genius, ending with what is arguably the best dungeon in the whole series. Majora's Mask's field is also a step in the right direction for Zelda, containing quite a few secrets and easter eggs. In the center of it is Clock Town which is, by far, the greatest town in the entire series. Not only is it a central piece of the story, it is also filled with awesome side quests, including a well known one that takes place over the course of three days. And speaking which, the three-day system was a smart creation, as it allowed far more character development than Zelda has been able to see since. Because of that, Majora's Mask has the best storyline in the series. Instead of being filled with cutscenes, the storyline is told in passing through the environment, a method of storytelling that video games can be the best at. And then there are the regions that you must explore, each being well designed and atmospheric. There are also the masks, with transformation masks that bring much variety to the gameplay, as well as regular masks that can be used either in a sidequest, or to progress in the main storyline. I could go on, but I'll stop here. Majora's Mask is just a great game. It's the most emotional Zelda game, but it also has fantastic gameplay to go with that. It's the greatest Zelda, and one of my favorite video games of all time.

... I think I went on long enough. That sure took a lot of time to write out. But anyway, so those are my opinions on every Zelda game, and how they compare to each other. If you choose to read it, feel free to respond to it or ask me anything you want. I congratulate anyone who can get through all that gibberish. :P

Avaitor

Great list and rankings!

I remember a long time ago, EGM made a "greatest games of all time" list, and had both Ocarina and Majora right outside of the top 10, with MM ranking just one slot higher. It was a controversial opinion they defended, and one that few people have made since, but it's a refreshing change, and quite deserving, at that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Great list!

Wholeheartedly agree with Majora's Mask at #1; playing through it again right now (up to Great Bay, by the way), this is the complete Zelda experience, even moreso than OoT (not, of course, taking anything away from OoT; this just improves upon the formula so much). In particular, the emotion; no Zelda game can match the emotion of Majora's Mask, from the impending sense of doom, to the sense of awakening you give these worlds like Snowhead and the Deku Palace when you take down the monster polluting those respective lands. And the sidequests... you've got to love those sidequests. There's just so much to do beyond saving the world, in a way no other Zelda has yet to match, with all of the shooting galleries, mini-games, and even just little stuff like the Bank and Curiosity Shop. And lest I not forget, the wonderful supporting cast. To this day, no Zelda has given us the kind of cast Majora's Mask has to offer; Anju and Kafei, Romani and Cremia, the Gormon Brothers, the Indigo-Go's... you can't help but appreciate the sense of depth it gives you with how all of these characters are connected and tied together.

I don't want to take anything away from the rest of the list (probably would've ranked the Capcom twins a little higher, and Spirit Tracks/PH lower), but I simply don't have enough nice things to say about Majora's Mask. It is such a great game, and easily one of my all-time favorites (top 10 for sure, probably even top 5).

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 23, 2012, 07:23:01 PM
Great list and rankings!

I remember a long time ago, EGM made a "greatest games of all time" list, and had both Ocarina and Majora right outside of the top 10, with MM ranking just one slot higher. It was a controversial opinion they defended, and one that few people have made since, but it's a refreshing change, and quite deserving, at that.

Think I missed that list. But I can't tell what's more surprising between seeing someone rank MM above OoT, or simply seeing them not put OoT in the top 10 at all. :P

Quote from: Kiddington on October 23, 2012, 07:52:57 PM
Great list!

Wholeheartedly agree with Majora's Mask at #1; playing through it again right now (up to Great Bay, by the way), this is the complete Zelda experience, even moreso than OoT (not, of course, taking anything away from OoT; this just improves upon the formula so much). In particular, the emotion; no Zelda game can match the emotion of Majora's Mask, from the impending sense of doom, to the sense of awakening you give these worlds like Snowhead and the Deku Palace when you take down the monster polluting those respective lands. And the sidequests... you've got to love those sidequests. There's just so much to do beyond saving the world, in a way no other Zelda has yet to match, with all of the shooting galleries, mini-games, and even just little stuff like the Bank and Curiosity Shop. And lest I not forget, the wonderful supporting cast. To this day, no Zelda has given us the kind of cast Majora's Mask has to offer; Anju and Kafei, Romani and Cremia, the Gormon Brothers, the Indigo-Go's... you can't help but appreciate the sense of depth it gives you with how all of these characters are connected and tied together.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here. There's something very real about the story in MM, mainly because of the characters and their emotions. I think a lot of this is thanks to the fact that the developers didn't need to start from scratch when making this game. They were able to recycle the graphics, as well as a lot of character models, from OoT. And that gave them the ability to focus entirely on game content. If Zelda Wii U turns out to be something special, I wouldn't mind them pulling a similar strategy and having a direct sequel out 2 years later.

Quote from: Kiddington on October 23, 2012, 07:52:57 PM
I don't want to take anything away from the rest of the list (probably would've ranked the Capcom twins a little higher, and Spirit Tracks/PH lower), but I simply don't have enough nice things to say about Majora's Mask. It is such a great game, and easily one of my all-time favorites (top 10 for sure, probably even top 5).

I see what you mean. I actually felt bad that the Oracle games were as low as they were, but I just really liked Skyward Sword. I thought from the beginning that I'd probably give the win to Majora's Mask in the end. Probably be in my top 5, too. I can only imagine it getting beaten by the Mario Galaxy games, and maybe a few multiplayers.

And thanks, guys.

Avaitor

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 23, 2012, 11:25:37 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on October 23, 2012, 07:23:01 PM
Great list and rankings!

Think I missed that list. But I can't tell what's more surprising between seeing someone rank MM above OoT, or simply seeing them not put OoT in the top 10 at all. :P
I was wrong- they both made it in the top 10.

Here's the list.

Edit: Oh wow, this list is not as good as I remember. Why would you go with the All-Stars version of SMB over the original?

New blog!

talonmalon333

I'd be interested in seeing if any of you guys can do a list (you don't have to go all pics and details, like I did).

Avaitor

Uh, all I can really think of is that I'd put Four Swords Adventure and ALTTP a little higher. Otherwise, I really like your list.

New blog!