The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

One of these games, I'll restart it as well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

To my sadness, I'm finding that I dislike it even more than I did originally. I'm going to try and get to at least the second temple before calling it quits, but I'm trying to give SS an honest chance here. I really am.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And I still have yet to play Twilight Princess. As you can all clearly see, I'm WAY behind on my Zelda gaming. That said, I'm still going to play Skyward Sword some day, despite all of the negative reception it has got from you guys. As one of the main-series Zelda games, I just can't completely resist playing it if I have the means to (which so far, I currently don't).

Foggle

A lot of people really like Skyward Sword, so you might. Personally, the only reason I don't is because my Wii Motion Plus doesn't seem to work properly, rendering the game almost unplayable.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 08, 2013, 07:07:02 PM
A lot of people really like Skyward Sword, so you might. Personally, the only reason I don't is because my Wii Motion Plus doesn't seem to work properly, rendering the game almost unplayable.
Grab a cheap copy of Red Steel 2 with the motion plus and give it another try.

I honestly didn't enjoy it because it had way too many corridors. I might give it another go one day but it sort of showed that I'm not the biggest fan of 3D Zelda outside of certain games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 08, 2013, 05:25:31 PM

I also think the GameCube version of Wind Waker looks better than the new one (at the moment) because the HD version's bloom is awful and the character outlines look worse.

I hope they re-release the original Wind Waker on the Wii U Virtual Console. I might just get that instead of the remake, unless they modify the character models by release date.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 08, 2013, 06:30:24 PM
To my sadness, I'm finding that I dislike it even more than I did originally. I'm going to try and get to at least the second temple before calling it quits, but I'm trying to give SS an honest chance here. I really am.

If you can power through, it does get better. The dungeons later in the game rank among the best in the series, in my opinion. The story's also enjoyable, if you're interested in that.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 08, 2013, 06:50:18 PM
And I still have yet to play Twilight Princess. As you can all clearly see, I'm WAY behind on my Zelda gaming. That said, I'm still going to play Skyward Sword some day, despite all of the negative reception it has got from you guys. As one of the main-series Zelda games, I just can't completely resist playing it if I have the means to (which so far, I currently don't).

To use a somewhat overused phrase in the Zelda fanbase, I think Skyward Sword is a good game, but a bad Zelda game. That means you'll likely enjoy it more than the majority of modern games.

Quote from: Foggle on April 08, 2013, 07:07:02 PM

Is your WMP broken or something? There's a small lag for me, but it's very much playable. To me the game's main problem is the repetition. If you're someone who doesn't like that, this game can be torture. :P

Nel_Annette

Right now, it's a combination of three things.

-The controls are awful. I don't know if my Wii Motion Plus is fucked up too, but sword-fighting is awful and Link won't balance on ropes for shit.

-Fi is annoying. I don't need to be told what to do every two minutes by the most boring side character in the series. Dowsing is useless. The game kept telling me to use dowsing to find the missing Kiwi's or whatever they're called. Guess what? I found all of them without using the dowsing system at all. Telling me to use it in the next area to find Zelda? Could she be in that giant ass temple on the other side of the map? Sure enough, I used the dowsing here and it did pinpoint at the giant temple. It seems like such an unnecessary feature.

-This game is ugly. I'm not trying to sound like a graphics whore here, I still love the Wind Waker's grapics, I still liked Twilight Princess', I like Sonic Colors, all standard definition games. Skyward Sword is ass-ugly. I don't know if they were trying to use an art style to give everything a pastel painting look, but faraway objects are incredibly blurry and it just looks terrible.

I will power through, Talon. I didn't spend $50 to not play this game.  :lol: But the further I play this game, the more I'm remembering why I put it down in the first place.  Which is disheartening. I was super excited for this back in 2011.

Music's still baller, though.  :thinkin:

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 08, 2013, 07:10:44 PM
Grab a cheap copy of Red Steel 2 with the motion plus and give it another try.
Yeah, I know, I've been meaning to for a while. :sweat:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 08, 2013, 07:14:19 PM
Is your WMP broken or something?
Yes. It only reads my movements correctly about 20% of the time.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 08, 2013, 07:22:52 PM
-The controls are awful. I don't know if my Wii Motion Plus is fucked up two, but sword-fighting is awful and Link won't balance on ropes for shit.
This is exactly my problem with the game as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually agree about the graphics. I'm not one to put much stock in graphics, but I didn't really like SS's art-style all too much. It was really blurry (and I was playing on an standard def TV) and muddy looking as a whole.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

-The controls are awful. I don't know if my Wii Motion Plus is fucked up too, but sword-fighting is awful and Link won't balance on ropes for shit.

I didn't have too much of a problem with them. I don't think they were better than traditional controls. But I thought it was a nice unique way to play Zelda for one game.

-Fi is annoying. I don't need to be told what to do every two minutes by the most boring side character in the series. Dowsing is useless. The game kept telling me to use dowsing to find the missing Kiwi's or whatever they're called. Guess what? I found all of them without using the dowsing system at all. Telling me to use it in the next area to find Zelda? Could she be in that giant ass temple on the other side of the map? Sure enough, I used the dowsing here and it did pinpoint at the giant temple. It seems like such an unnecessary feature.

>Navi is infamous as one of the most hated video game partners ever.
>Nintendo responds by making Fi even worse, far worse.

-This game is ugly. I'm not trying to sound like a graphics whore here, I still love the Wind Waker's grapics, I still liked Twilight Princess', I like Sonic Colors, all standard definition games. Skyward Sword is ass-ugly. I don't know if they were trying to use an art style to give everything a pastel painting look, but faraway objects are incredibly blurry and it just looks terrible.

I actually thought it looked nice. Though most of my examples would be spoilers.

I will power through, Talon. I didn't spend $50 to not play this game.  :lol: But the further I play this game, the more I'm remembering why I put it down in the first place.  Which is disheartening. I was super excited for this back in 2011.

That's fair. I understand how it can be a bit underwhelming. :P

Music's still baller, though.  :thinkin:

I loved the soundtrack. But the other 3D game's soundtracks were better.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly didn't enjoy it because it had way too many corridors. I might give it another go one day but it sort of showed that I'm not the biggest fan of 3D Zelda outside of certain games.

Having too many corridors certainly doesn't sound like an archetype of 3D Zelda games to me. Hell, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker are full of wide and open environments that are very cleverly designed. It may just be that game that's at fault.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 08, 2013, 07:36:04 PM

Having too many corridors certainly doesn't sound like an archetype of 3D Zelda games to me. Hell, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and The Wind Waker are full of wide and open environments that are very cleverly designed. It may just be that game that's at fault.
Well, it was basically the OoT formula with more tutorials and in corridors. The corridors just made it worse because there was less to do.

Honestly, I might have actually enjoyed it if I hadn't already played so many better Zelda games that had less restrictions.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 08, 2013, 07:36:04 PM
Wind Waker's ocean is ginormous!

talonmalon333

I wouldn't really call them corridors. The levels were pretty big. The main problem was that you could NEVER go off the beaten path unless you were in the sky. There was absolutely no exploration.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually like the art-style of Skyward Sword, but admittedly I haven't actually played the game in front of me on a TV. I've really only been limited to seeing brief gameplay videos of it on Youtube (mostly in high quality, though). So, I can't really comment on how blurry it looks or anything like that until I actually get a Wii and play the game for myself. In terms of the actual style of art, though, I think it looks fine. If I were to be honest, while I love The Wind Waker's art-style as well, I still prefer the tone and style of games like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess to it.