The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

It seems that on this site, I'm the only one with a "that's cool" attitude about this upcoming game.

To me, the coolest part about it is the fact that top down Zelda is back (which is of course a great thing). But the game itself hasn't left me really excited so far.

Spark Of Spirit

All they showed is a demo dungeon and some random map gameplay in an announcement trailer.

Being that the traditional Zelda games Nintendo made themselves are The Legend Of Zelda (NES), A Link to The Past, and Link's Awakening, I don't have much reason to not be excited. Unless you aren't a fan of top down Zelda I'm not sure why you wouldn't be excited. Especially since we haven't gotten one of these since the Game Boy Advance two generations ago.

I'm just going off the fact that it's traditional Zelda being made by Nintendo's Zelda team which hasn't happened in almost 20 years. It might help the next 3D Zelda to revisit pre-OoT elements, as well. It can only help, really.

So personally I'm not seeing a downside.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2013, 04:30:48 PM
I'm just going off the fact that it's traditional Zelda being made by Nintendo's Zelda team which hasn't happened in almost 20 years.
Well, uh, exactly. They haven't made one in 20 years. Maybe he's worried they might have lost their touch or the team has completely changed for the worse?

Not that I feel that way, myself.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 22, 2013, 04:39:14 PM
I'm just going off the fact that it's traditional Zelda being made by Nintendo's Zelda team which hasn't happened in almost 20 years.
Well, uh, exactly. They haven't made one in 20 years. Maybe he's worried they might have lost their touch or the team has completely changed for the worse?

Not that I feel that way, myself.
I dunno, of all the things to complain about with Nintendo worrying that they can't make a good game is pretty low on my worry list. It's being directed by Eiji Aonuma who is fairly well acquainted with the style of gameplay so I'm not really concerned.

I would have been more worried about Capcom making the Oracle games back in the day, but look how that turned out!  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

All they showed is a demo dungeon and some random map gameplay in an announcement trailer.

Being that the traditional Zelda games Nintendo made themselves are The Legend Of Zelda (NES), A Link to The Past, and Link's Awakening, I don't have much reason to not be excited. Unless you aren't a fan of top down Zelda I'm not sure why you wouldn't be excited. Especially since we haven't gotten one of these since the Game Boy Advance two generations ago.

I'm just going off the fact that it's traditional Zelda being made by Nintendo's Zelda team which hasn't happened in almost 20 years. It might help the next 3D Zelda to revisit pre-OoT elements, as well. It can only help, really.

I'm not saying it won't be great, and I'm not saying I find there to be a downside. I just haven't seen enough to get as excited as many other people. Having top down classic Zelda back is a great thing, though (the PH and ST touch screen style can burn in hell for the rest of eternity and beyond). The actual content just hasn't "wowed" me though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair though....its a top-down Zelda game. They are marvelously fun to play, but not exactly the most exciting games to watch (they aren't exactly about flash or anything like that). And besides, we've only seen 10+ minutes worth of footage. That's hardly enough to conclude whether there is or isn't enough to a game to get excited about it or not. To put things into perspective, if I were to show up a sample of gameplay from A Link to the Past to someone who never played it before, it probably wouldn't look like anything special until they actually played the game themselves in full. Zelda games lend themselves well to proper play-throughs and are fun when you play them from start to finish. They don't try to do anything too flashy or gimmicky, though, so its not like watching 10+ minutes worth of gameplay can fairly be expected to do anything for anyone other than to let them know what the core mechanics will be like.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2013, 05:10:11 PM

I'm not saying it won't be great, and I'm not saying I find there to be a downside. I just haven't seen enough to get as excited as many other people. Having top down classic Zelda back is a great thing, though (the PH and ST touch screen style can burn in hell for the rest of eternity and beyond). The actual content just hasn't "wowed" me though.
Oh, well that's understandable. The teaser was enough for me, but then again it's what I wanted so that's expected. Sort of like the Wind Waker HD release, we might as well wait for more footage.

talonmalon333

Maybe Skyward Sword had caused me to worry about whatever Zelda was going to be announced next, regardless of the style. :sweat:

Nel_Annette

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2013, 06:14:44 PM
Maybe Skyward Sword had caused me to worry about whatever Zelda was going to be announced next, regardless of the style. :sweat:

"Announcing The Legend Of Zelda: Jar Of Voices. Take Link off into an adventure in the ancient tunnels of Hyrule and use a microphone peripheral to tell him what to do! No buttons at all!"

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 22, 2013, 06:28:55 PM

"Announcing The Legend Of Zelda: Jar Of Voices. Take Link off into an adventure in the ancient tunnels of Hyrule and use a microphone peripheral to tell him what to do! No buttons at all!"
See, this would have worried me.

Spoiler
I was expecting this on the DS after Spirit Tracks
[close]

Nel_Annette

Well, we had trains and boats, so I was expecting planes next.  :P

Though I suppose the Loftwing counts.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 22, 2013, 06:28:55 PM

I'm not sure if that's gimmicky enough. >_<

talonmalon333

Speaking of style, what graphical style do you guys think Zelda Wii U should, and will, have?

Spark Of Spirit

It will look like OoT in HD. That's my guess.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2013, 07:57:31 PM
It will look like OoT in HD. That's my guess.

And that's the way it should be, because OoT is the best Zelda game ever and has the best Zelda art-style ever. This is of course complete fact, and anyone who disagrees with it is automatically wrong because opinions are for losers. :>