The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 22, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2013, 07:57:31 PM
It will look like OoT in HD. That's my guess.

And that's the way it should be, because OoT is the best Zelda game ever and has the best Zelda art-style ever. This is of course complete fact, and anyone who disagrees with it is automatically wrong because opinions are for losers. :>
I was just saying it because that was what the Wii-U demo looked like.  :??:

But seriously, they need to hook a lot of people this time so they can't afford to go with a Wind Waker-style surprise or a strange Skyward Sword-style 'why bother' that might scare people off before they even look at it. For a 3D Zelda, OoT-style art is the safest bet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

And that's the way it should be, because OoT is the best Zelda game ever and has the best Zelda art-style ever. This is of course complete fact, and anyone who disagrees with it is automatically wrong because opinions are for losers. :>

... I actually kind of agree with that opinion. >_<

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2013, 08:47:07 PM

I was just saying it because that was what the Wii-U demo looked like.  :??:

But seriously, they need to hook a lot of people this time so they can't afford to go with a Wind Waker-style surprise or a strange Skyward Sword-style 'why bother' that might scare people off before they even look at it. For a 3D Zelda, OoT-style art is the safest bet.

Or the TP look. The Zelda Wii U tech demo, which was an upgraded version of its visuals, was beautiful. And it drew a lot of attention. I'm sure it would help bring in more people in a full game. In fact, I think it was more talked about than Skyward Sword at that E3 (this was before it was released)

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, that. I think that will be the art style they use.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

My prediction is that, first of all, and being that they are already making a remake of Wind Waker, they won't use that game's art style. I can see them doing the TP look, or the SS look (I know they loved that art style). Course, they might also decide to do something new.

Foggle

After revisiting a lot of the games, I think I prefer the "weirder" entries for the most part. Like, I enjoy Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, but I vastly prefer Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, the Oracles, etc.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 22, 2013, 09:49:51 PM
After revisiting a lot of the games, I think I prefer the "weirder" entries for the most part. Like, I enjoy Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past, but I vastly prefer Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, the Oracles, etc.

How are the Oracle games the least bit weird? They are straight up classic-style 2D Zelda games, rather than being a bit too linear like Link's Awakening, or having the strange sailing gimmick of The Wind Waker, or the time-limit of Majora's Mask.

And I think it's just become popular opinion to undersell Ocarina of Time these days just because it was so popular in its day and for several years thereafter. As someone who loves The Wind Waker (its also one of my favorite games of all-time), I can say that I still find Ocarina of Time to have vastly superior level design to it (and I mean in regard to the dungeons, not taking the sailing bits into account). Majora's Mask has equally great level design to OoT, IMO, but what holds it back for me is the 3-day time-limit gimmick, which I personally hate. If it weren't for the fact that I was constantly under a time-limit to complete each dungeon, I could have honestly seen MM as my favorite, but that one gimmick really just goes against a fundamental aspect of what I like in gaming, and that's being able to take my time with things (and yes, I know how to slow-down time, but I still hate the concept of constantly being on a time-limit).

Foggle

Maybe "weird" isn't the right word. Whatever.

Also, while I like OoT, I just don't enjoy it as much as other people do. Same with LttP. If I was underselling them, I'd say they were overrated, but I'm not. They just don't really do it for me like the others I listed do.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's fine. Its still a fact that OoT is the best Zelda game ever, though. :sly:

talonmalon333

I do probably think Ocarina of Time is the best in the series. Everything, just, fell into place perfectly with the gameplay, level design, story, and pacing. Wind Waker, for example, is a great game but I think it doesn't feel as well put together, if that makes sense. The pacing doesn't feel as right.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love the Wind Waker, but if I had to say its one weakness for me, its definitely the pacing. At times its fine, but there are parts of the game that drag (ironically, though, I didn't mind the Triforce hunt, of all things). Also, the level design felt like it was a bit more simplistic than in OoT and MM. The puzzles in general just felt a bit too easy for a Zelda game, perhaps to cater to the more casual gamers of the time. That said, the game was still a ton of fun on the whole and it always kept me interested enough to want to come back for more.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 22, 2013, 10:43:58 PM
I love the Wind Waker, but if I had to say its one weakness for me, its definitely the pacing. At times its fine, but there are parts of the game that drag (ironically, though, I didn't mind the Triforce hunt, of all things). Also, the level design felt like it was a bit more simplistic than in OoT and MM. The puzzles in general just felt a bit too easy for a Zelda game, perhaps to cater to the more casual gamers of the time. That said, the game was still a ton of fun on the whole and it always kept me interested enough to want to come back for more.

I agree with all that. Wind Waker does drag a little bit at points. With OoT, on the other hand, there was never a dull moment. I really can't think of any flaws in that game, honestly. Same with MM, at least to me.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2013, 11:00:23 PM

I agree with all that. Wind Waker does drag a little bit at points. With OoT, on the other hand, there was never a dull moment. I really can't think of any flaws in that game, honestly. Same with MM, at least to me.
Jabu Jabu's Belly.

Spoiler
I bet you were expecting me to say the Water Temple! But I actually like that one.
[close]

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2013, 11:02:37 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2013, 11:00:23 PM

Jabu Jabu's Belly.

Spoiler
I bet you were expecting me to say the Water Temple! But I actually like that one.
[close]

I like Jabu Jabu's Belly as well.

:humhumhum:

Kiddington

Avaitor

Ya'll probably know this, but I was the odd kid who preferred Majora to Ocarina back in the day.

I haven't played either one in ages, but based on my memory, that opinion might stay the same.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/