The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 23, 2013, 08:27:32 PMAlso interesting is that I think Hyrule Historia mentions that by the first Legend Of Zelda, Ganon's become such a mindless beast that he doesn't even remember ever being Ganondorf.

I think that idea is just something that lends itself well to such an early game with little dialogue, that just so happens to fall near the end of the timeline. It's a feeling I personally had gotten from Zelda I Ganon for years.

As a whole though, I think the mythos are kind of a mess. :P

RacattackForce

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 23, 2013, 08:36:28 PM
Quote from: Nel_Annette on April 23, 2013, 08:27:32 PMAlso interesting is that I think Hyrule Historia mentions that by the first Legend Of Zelda, Ganon's become such a mindless beast that he doesn't even remember ever being Ganondorf.

I think that idea is just something that lends itself well to such an early game with little dialogue, that just so happens to fall near the end of the timeline. It's a feeling I personally had gotten from Zelda I Ganon for years.

Well, Nintendo has always had a Stephen King-style when it comes to the Zelda series: they focus on gameplay first, then try to jam a story in there and hope it makes sense and can fit in somewhere in the overall universe of the franchise. Not that I have a problem with that. If I was a huge story > gameplay dude, then Other M wouldn't be anywhere near my list of favourite games.

talonmalon333

Quote from: RacattackForce on April 24, 2013, 10:59:33 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 23, 2013, 08:36:28 PM

Well, Nintendo has always had a Stephen King-style when it comes to the Zelda series: they focus on gameplay first, then try to jam a story in there and hope it makes sense and can fit in somewhere in the overall universe of the franchise. 

Stephen King is a video game developer? :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: RacattackForce on April 24, 2013, 10:59:33 AM
Well, Nintendo has always had a Stephen King-style when it comes to the Zelda series: they focus on gameplay first, then try to jam a story in there and hope it makes sense and can fit in somewhere in the overall universe of the franchise. Not that I have a problem with that. If I was a huge story > gameplay dude, then Other M wouldn't be anywhere near my list of favourite games.

Personally, that's the way I like it. That's not to say that I don't respect a great story and expert narrative, because I totally do. Its just that, I'm a dude who's into gaming for the sake of....well, gaming. Most of my favorite games of all-time have mediocre to downright non-existent stories, but the one thing that they have in common is excellent gameplay, through and through. That's probably why I find that in this day and age, most Nintendo games appeal to me way more than most modern games on the XBOX360 and PS3, since a lot of those games don't seem to put quite as much focus as I'd like in the aspects of gaming that I particularly care about.

talonmalon333

Since we're on the topic of story, I think the reason Majora's Mask has my favorite Zelda story is because I feel as if there's more to it than just the main quest. Because in order to save everyone, you need to do more than just prevent the world from being destroyed. Since everyone's lives in that game are just screwed up, and the story means so little if you just ignore the sidequests. But when you do, you see how good some of the game's NPCs are.

That said, I really like the stories of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, too. I like the themes of Wind Waker and how it connects back to Ocarina of Time (and it's done in a meaningful way to enhance the experience), with the ending being perhaps my favorite in the series. Twilight Princess' story is really strong for reasons I won't go into, being that a number of people here still haven't played it. :P

I'd also like to add that I really like Skyward Sword's storyline, if only because of Link and Princess Zelda's arc. That game was her best appearance yet. And of course there's Ocarina of Time, which has a good story for the reasons stated in this thread recently.

GaryPotter

Majora's Mask's problem is that you NEED a strategy guide or else you are totally lost. Literally so much of the game is extremely hard to figure out by yourself.

Beyond that, it's by far my favorite Zelda game. It's amazing how much they were able to accomplish on the little old N64.

Spark Of Spirit

ScrewAttack's 10 Worst Zelda Bosses

Anyone agree?

I actually think the final boss in Oracle of Seasons is frustrating and not very fun.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The final boss in Oracle of Seasons is probably one of the weaker boss fights in the game, but its not really all that hard, to be honest, so I was never really frustrated with it, myself. I mean, the pattern is pretty easy to get down, and I even managed to beat the boss with the Wooden Sword, which takes twice as many hits to kill the final boss with than the Noble Sword.

Spark Of Spirit

On the flip side, here was their best boss list they did before.

I have to agree that the spinner boss was the highlight of Twilight Princess. It was such a shame at how wasted it was after that dungeon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2013, 06:09:24 PM
I have to agree that the spinner boss was the highlight of Twilight Princess.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2013, 06:09:24 PM
the highlight of Twilight Princess.

:thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

I don't see how that's a controversial opinion.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

I started a new game in ALttP last night. It's a game I can keep going back to. And I always forget enough to make it a fun experience, like forgetting to get the Ice Rod before the Lanmola fight and getting my ass handed to me.

And making the golden Master Sword. Still easily one of the most satisfying things to do.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2013, 06:15:30 PM

Makes the rest of the game seem not good enough if the highlight of it all is just an item. :P

But, I kid.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 30, 2013, 06:33:48 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2013, 06:15:30 PM

Makes the rest of the game seem not good enough if the highlight of it all is just an item. :P

But, I kid.
I was mainly referring to the boss battle, but yes the spinner was a really cool item that was way underused.