The Legend of Zelda Series

Started by talonmalon333, May 27, 2011, 03:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

SSX? Well at least out of the first 3 anyway, not that I understand how anyone could think 3 is better than Tricky.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Believe it or not, I've actually seen people who like MC or SS the most, too.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 22, 2015, 02:15:24 PM
Even with Mario, one of the most legendary series of all time, you'd have a difficult time arguing for anything beyond SMB3, SMW, SMG, or SMG2.
I think you can successfully argue for SMB2 (US), SM64, and SM3DW as well. Hell, I might even argue for NSMBW, myself, and if we're including Yoshi's Island and the RPGs in the mix... Still a smaller ratio than Zelda, though.

It might also be possible to argue for 7/12 of the Ratchet & Clank games as best in the series, and I'm torn on which Fatal Frame is my favorite. But Zelda almost certainly has the best overall track record of any video game franchise.

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man Zero is 4/4. I've heard every game proclaimed the best a fairly large number of times. Not too many series have that kind of track record. Zelda would be the best one there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
Mega Man Zero is 4/4. I've heard every game proclaimed the best a fairly large number of times. Not too many series have that kind of track record. Zelda would be the best one there.
I think the thing that makes Zelda so impressive is, as a whole, it hasn't gotten any worse despite existing for almost 3 decades, having multiple development team shifts, and being outsourced quite a few times. Regardless of what you (and I) may think of SS, ALBW proves that they still have plenty of classics left in them.

That said, a 4/4 series like MMZ (and IMO Fatal Frame) is also extremely impressive, just not on the same scale as LoZ.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on April 22, 2015, 03:52:37 PM
I think the thing that makes Zelda so impressive is, as a whole, it hasn't gotten any worse despite existing for almost 3 decades, having multiple development team shifts, and being outsourced quite a few times. Regardless of what you (and I) may think of SS, ALBW proves that they still have plenty of classics left in them.

That's what I think. Nowadays you have classic franchises like Resident Evil which are just dying. Then you have modern franchises like Assassin's Creed which are being milked for all they are worth. Then you have Zelda. At worst, it has had a few missteps, and when it does, it picks itself right back up. The franchise deserves its recognition as one of, if not the, greatest in gaming.

I also say that SS, despite being a low tier Zelda game, is still a solid video game in its own right. It's too padded and lacking in exploration. But in the times when the game is good, it's really good. The final 2-3 hours of the game in particularly rank up there with some of the best moments in Zelda history.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2015, 03:40:49 PM

When there's only four games to compare, it's not that impressive. :thinkin:

gunswordfist

I personally think the last 3 Street Fighter games are just as good as each other.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2015, 08:33:30 PM
I personally think the last 3 Street Fighter games are just as good as each other.
Ultra, Super, and vanilla SFIV?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2015, 08:55:01 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2015, 08:33:30 PM
Ultra, Super, and vanilla SFIV?
Clearly he means Ultra, X Tekken, and X Mega Man!

gunswordfist

Kiddington

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks probably wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the ghastly control scheme. That's always been one of my biggest gripes about the DS era; Nintendo had their thing (touch-screen controls), and absolutely milked the hell out of it, shoehorning it into situations it had no business being in.

.....well, Spirit Tracks maybe. Phantom Hourglass was sooooo booooorrrrriiiiinnnnng.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on April 22, 2015, 10:53:37 PM
Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks probably wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the ghastly control scheme. That's always been one of my biggest gripes about the DS era; Nintendo had their thing (touch-screen controls), and absolutely milked the hell out of it, shoehorning it into situations it had no business being in.
I agree. I could never enjoy them because of the control scheme.

Nel_Annette

I was so miffed when I bought Phantom Hourglass and realized that there was no option to use the buttons. I slogged through that fucking game. I like having the second screen for stuff like map and stat info, games that rely heavily on touch controls like that are never my cup of tea. I had been waiting since Minish Cap for a new top-down Zelda and what I got was that and Phantom Hourglass. Along with Skyward Sword, that was like a triple whammy conga line of disappointment. Thank goodness for ALBW.

Spark Of Spirit

Because of PH, Spirit Tracks is one of the worst selling Zelda games.

It's no mystery as to why they went back to classic Zelda with ALBW. I just hope they continue the uprising with Zelda Wii U.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2015, 11:02:50 PM
Because of PH, Spirit Tracks is one of the worst selling Zelda games.

It's no mystery as to why they went back to classic Zelda with ALBW. I just hope they continue the uprising with Zelda Wii U.
The MGS2 curse strikes again.

talonmalon333

I agree that ST could have been solid if it were made for the GameCube or Wii, but PH couldn't be saved. Even putting aside the control style, that game was just dull.