Unpopular Opinions You Hold About TV Shows

Started by Kiddington, February 04, 2013, 01:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregX

Quote from: Foggle on May 14, 2013, 05:43:57 AM
Quote from: GregX on May 14, 2013, 12:11:24 AM
That wasn't a Gene Roddenberry quote. That was a piece of comedy from a blogger.
You don't say. ;D

Just wondering why you felt the need to do that. I don't mind the quote, but why attribute it to Roddenberry at all?

Foggle

Quote from: GregX on May 14, 2013, 07:00:17 PM
Just wondering why you felt the need to do that. I don't mind the quote, but why attribute it to Roddenberry at all?
As a joke. I like Babylon 5, and certainly more than Star Trek.

GregX

Quote from: Foggle on May 14, 2013, 07:03:13 PM
Quote from: GregX on May 14, 2013, 07:00:17 PM
As a joke. I like Babylon 5, and certainly more than Star Trek.

Ha ha ha! Okay, cool.

Okay... more unpopular opinions....

X-Files sucked. It was cool at first, but the novelty factor wore off really quick.

Avaitor

I've only seen a handful of X-Files episodes, but I do like what I've seen. Mostly stuff from the first few seasons.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

X-Files seems like that "used to be really popular, but is now obscure as the boombox" show alongside others like Murphy Brown and Ally McBeal. Can't even remember the last time somebody praised that show.

Avaitor

I think it's a little higher regarded than those in recent years, but that isn't too far off of a comparison.

I also have a feeling that you can lump Lost in with that category in the near future.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

You know, I've been talking to a friend about it, and we both seem to agree that Two and a Half Men would have been a better show if Alan wasn't a part of it. At least not in the way he's become in later years.

Charlie Sheen's material actually did have its moments overall, but Jon Cryer isn't on that same level at all, at least not as anything more than a straight man.

And I'm putting it in this thread since it seems to be an unpopular opinion that Men could be anything close to resembling a good show. It's far from perfect, but I do honestly think that the sheen-era episodes had their moments. It's still better than Lorre's other shows at least, unless you count Roseanne.

New blog!

Kiddington

What are you talking about?

Roseanne sucks.

Avaitor

It's hella better than Big Bang Theory.

ps- Amy is just Sheldon with a vagina. I don't see the appeal of this character at all.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Chuck Lorre wasn't really in charge of Roseanne, though. He was one of many people behind that show.

Quote from: Avaitor on June 01, 2013, 12:32:19 PM
ps- Amy is just Sheldon with a vagina. I don't see the appeal of this character at all.
Your first sentence is the appeal.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

That's why they're so perfect for each other.  :blush:

Goldstar

Originally, Amy Farrah Fowler was basically Sheldon with 2 x chromosomes. The only other way that Amy was different from Sheldon was that she didn't share Sheldon's love for science fiction, so I can understand why the producers felt it necessary to alter Amy's character somewhat when she became a regular. The only thing that I don't particularly like about Amy is how she's now continually trying to force Sheldon into having a physical relationship with her. I like that Sheldon has zero desire to pursue a physical relationship with anyone. Asexual characters on TV shows are very rare. I'm an aromantic asexual, so it's a nice change of pace to see someone on TV who shares my own view on physical intimacy. I don't want to see Amy written off of the show, and it would be pretty cold hearted to just "leave her hanging" as it were, but at the same time, I'd hate to see Sheldon become a "regular guy" in a regular relationship, as that would ruin the character for me.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Commode

It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

Quote from: Comeau on June 04, 2013, 12:24:31 PMHell no, Roseanne is great.
^ This.

Don't make me give the same speeches as I used to on Ultimate-Disney, Roseanne is in my opinion easily one of the greatest television shows ever broadcast. And is, in fact, a superb television series. It did suffer from inconsistency throughout the first 3 and final 4 seasons, which didn't even cripple the show- it merely trivialized chunks of a given episode, but was always (except for season 9) a far smarter, funnier, better executed family sitcom than anything else. Not only were characters intelligently written and it remains an iconic, progressive work for the representation of gays, blue collar black families, and modern day feminism when their competition thought the definition of harmony between the sexes was for its "Tool Man" to apologize on national TV for doing the same stupid things to his wife day after day, showing he never learned a damn thing (which shows he had about as much respect for his wife as he did for her friends- all of whom I seem to remember he hated and mocked for really bad jokes). It excelled in often stunningly even-handed and solid debates between parents and children, and spot-on rendering of stupid socio-political points of view.

It also knew how to tap into what it feels like to be an abused, neglected employee, mother, father, teenager, minority, etc. It clearly drew real life inspiration from victims of domestic abuse because I see serious parallels between Roseanne's family (the family she was the daughter in, the Harris's) and my own. I can tell you for a fact this is THE ONLY show I've seen where it got exactly what it feels like and then shot it like it was giving people a moment to honestly express their true thoughts and feelings. People forget this all the time but almost no sitcoms really take the time to let a character speak from a place of vulnerability or pain. This show did it every 3-5 or so episodes, given the season. Every episode gave someone the time to at least speak their mind clearly. And even then, it was a point of view real people have. That's why the show was so important. There are endless moments I could refer to that prove why the show is as good as it is. Even just reactions or phrasings or pauses that characters/actors had with/to a line that put the show SO FAR above average. The show also had a real knack for covering topics no other show would cover. I'm actually referring to stuff like gross-out comic books and riot grrrl bands. Imagine my surprise when Daisy Chainsaw (the band Darlene and Molly went to see in Season 5's "Good Girls, Bad Girls") actually turned out to be a real band.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...