Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Quote from: Foggle on November 25, 2015, 11:35:57 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 25, 2015, 11:16:03 PMJohnston himself admitted to not having read any Captain America comic books prior to making this film
This is pretty surprising to me. Honestly, of all the live action superhero films I've seen, I'd say The First Avenger is the one that feels most like the comic book it's based on (though Guardians of the Galaxy comes close, and Deadpool probably will too). It just has the heart and soul of what made classic comics great.

He's not alone. Lots of movie directors don't read comic books.

Tim Burton, for example, had never read Batman, yet he made one of the most iconic films in the franchise (maybe two, depending on what you think of Batman Returns).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, if they do go the route of making Falcon into the next Captain America in the MCU, eventually, then it'd at least be cool if they give The Winter Soldier his own spin-off series like they did in the comics, since he's a great character and could really carry his own movie or TV series, IMO. It also makes sense since Marvel is pretty good about clearing away some of their older solo series to make room for the new ones, so that we don't have a clusterfuck of them all running at one time. The Incredible Hulk was basically considered a failure for them, so that's why it got no sequels, and while RDJ will be happy to reprise his role for an indefinite number of future Marvel films, the Iron Man solo series is also pretty much done at this point. Of course, those open spots are now being used to set up series like Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther. That said, I'm pretty sure that the next Thor film will most likely be the last one, so it probably wouldn't be too hard for an already popular character like The Winter Soldier to get something of his own once there is some room cleared for him.

LumRanmaYasha

Saw the trailer for Civil War with a friend the other day, and we both had the same "aw hell yeah" reaction to it. My friend let out a "fuck yeah" when he saw Black Panther. The fight scene at the end of the trailer and the "So was I" line were probably my favorite moments in it. Needless to say, I'm really excited for this. Captain America has the best films in the MCU, and this looks to be the best yet. Admittedly, I'm still concerned about how many characters are in the movie, but Infinity War is going to be juggling way more, so getting it down with this film will be a necessary step. May's going to be a long wait.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Frankenzod. I was sort of on board with Batman and Superman's ideals conflicting with each other like that, but then Frankenzod appeared.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The first trailer actually surprised me and helped to build up some good faith toward this movie on my part, despite my distaste for Man of Steel. This trailer basically just flushed all of that good faith down the toilet. I'm now pretty wary of whether this movie will be any good or not, and my expectations are leaning more towards "not".

So, Captain America: Civil War it is. I'm also hoping that Doctor Strange turns out to be good.

gunswordfist

I thought the trailer was good. Cera as Lex already seems like it'll be the worst thing about the movie though. When he showed in this one, it almost ruined the trailer, especially with how good the tone was before he came by.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think you meant to say Eisenberg. Michael Cera is not even in a superhero movie, let alone this one. ;)

Avaitor

Eisenberg is a good actor. I know that he can be. But this just looks embarrassing on his part.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

The new BvS trailer is the whole movie crammed into 3 minutes. Good job, WB!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 03, 2015, 04:07:26 PM
I think you meant to say Eisenberg. Michael Cera is not even in a superhero movie, let alone this one. ;)
Is it too late to pretend that I was being sarcastic?...no?  :-[
Quote from: Daikun on December 03, 2015, 06:05:04 PM
The new BvS trailer is the whole movie crammed into 3 minutes. Good job, WB!
Pretty much.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I can't believe they spoiled everything with that trailer. What is wrong with DC's movie division? Not only does everything have to be grimdark, but it's exactly what everyone expected it to be.

Seriously, just make a good movie without Nolan already. I want them to prove me wrong.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I liked the trailer fine until Luthor showed up. Then it took a baffling nosedive. I don't know why they decided to spoil the entire movie, but it sure as hell makes me uninterested in actually seeing it.  :??:

Dr. Insomniac

A part of me wants to play Devil's Advocate and suggest the spoilers are meant to be a ruse to hide a bigger one, but I doubt the producers thought that through. Besides, what could they have left to reveal? We already know that Parademons, Doomsday, and 5/7ths of the Justice League will show up, so what else can you do without overstuffing your movie?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A lot of trailers these days have the problem of spoiling too much in their trailers. Even MCU movie trailers are criminally guilty of this, though not to the same extent as what DC just pulled.

Once again, whether the movie is any good or not, I have to commend the marketing people behind Star Wars for not showing too much. I've seen just enough of that movie in trailers to get excited for it without actually knowing what the plot is going to be and how it will play out, and that's the way that it should be. A trailer should give me and idea of what I'm in for with any given movie. It shouldn't just spell out the entire movie for me. More big studios really need to learn that concept.