Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I thought Luthor ruined it as well but I still want to check it out. I've always been cautious about this movie so my expectations aren't that high anyway.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on December 04, 2015, 09:39:34 AM
I liked the trailer fine until Luthor showed up. Then it took a baffling nosedive. I don't know why they decided to spoil the entire movie, but it sure as hell makes me uninterested in actually seeing it.  :??:
I agree completely. It actually looked like a good movie for the first 45 seconds, but Eisenberg ruined it single-handedly. That, and Ben Affleck's Bat-voice somehow managed to be even worse than Bale's IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on December 04, 2015, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: Cartoon X on December 04, 2015, 09:39:34 AM
I liked the trailer fine until Luthor showed up. Then it took a baffling nosedive. I don't know why they decided to spoil the entire movie, but it sure as hell makes me uninterested in actually seeing it.  :??:
I agree completely. It actually looked like a good movie for the first 45 seconds, but Eisenberg ruined it single-handedly. That, and Ben Affleck's Bat-voice somehow managed to be even worse than Bale's IMO.

I wouldn't go that far. I recently re-watched The Dark Knight trilogy, and aside from Batman Begins where his voice was fine (I have no idea why they changed it), it's actually pretty laughably bad in the other two films. I kind of can't believe how I used to put up with it. I would go so far as to say that it almost ruins the movies, which only hold up thanks a ton to all of the other performances being so good. But trust me, Bale's Batman voice is worse by far, and I'm still not even a fan of Ben Affleck playing Batman (I'm still not over Daredevil, even though I know that movie wasn't really his fault).

Foggle

I'll take your word for it. I haven't seen the Dark Knight trilogy in about two years, so I might have forgotten the true badness of Bale's Bat-voice. :il_hahaha: Personally, I have no problem with Affleck playing Batman, never have, but I don't like his Bat-voice much either. Maybe they should just get Kevin Conroy to dub over the live action actors while they're suited up.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, the trailer voice might not be what his voice finally ends up sounding like in the movie. It's possible to play around a lot with audio through editing these days, and if you remember, he used a synthetic voice mask in the first teaser for this movie that wasn't present in this trailer for whatever reason.

Avaitor

I'm indifferent on Affleck so far, myself.

As for Bale, I recently watched The Dark Knight for class, and honestly, it sounds like Bale needs some Milk of Magnesia or something. He might be the worst thing about the movie (give or take Rachel), but even then, his Bruce Wayne is great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Bale's Batman voice was actually perfectly fine in Batman Begins. I have no idea why they decided to make him sound like he was taking a massive dump whenever he spoke as Batman in the sequels.

By the way, I recently re-watched Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. That movie came out in 2008, the same year as Iron Man and The Dark Knight, and was doomed to be overshadowed. As someone who loves both of those films despite some faults, I can honestly say that HB2 is on part with both of them. I never appreciated the HB movies enough when they came out, but they really are great.

Also, voicing Dr. Kraus is literally the best thing that Seth Macfarlane has ever done in his entire career. I love that character. It's a shame that we'll never get a third movie.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 05, 2015, 10:04:29 AM
Bale's Batman voice was actually perfectly fine in Batman Begins. I have no idea why they decided to make him sound like he was taking a massive dump whenever he spoke as Batman in the sequels.
Yeah, this has always confused me. He was still growly in BB, but he didn't sound anywhere near as bad. They really shouldn't have had him change it.

QuoteBy the way, I recently re-watched Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. That movie came out in 2008, the same year as Iron Man and The Dark Knight, and was doomed to be overshadowed. As someone who loves both of those films despite some faults, I can honestly say that HB2 is on part with both of them. I never appreciated the HB movies enough when they came out, but they really are great.

Also, voicing Dr. Kraus is literally the best thing that Seth Macfarlane has ever done in his entire career. I love that character. It's a shame that we'll never get a third movie.
Ron Perlman really wants to make a third one, so we might actually see another Hellboy film someday...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The problem is that Hellboy 2 massively under-performed at the box office. Meanwhile, both Iron Man and The Dark Knight were big hits financially. While all three films garnered overall praise from critics, only Hellboy 2 lacked the actual returns to show for it. I feel like studios saw that and decided that nobody wants a movie like Hellboy, but rather more (relatively) realistic and straightforward superhero movies.

Granted, the Hellboy movies just could have been a tad ahead of their time. I mean, these are movies where the main character is a demonic being that was meant to bring about the destruction of the world but turned good from birth, and he works with a fish man, has a romantic relationship with a lady who can light herself on fire like the female version of The Human Torch (who is by far the most down-to-earth and normal character of the main cast), and takes orders from a scientist that is made up of pure gas and lives in a containment suit (and who is by far my favorite character in the second film, BTW). And the villains aren't any less strange. I LOVE that sort of set-up for a movie, but maybe it was too much for audiences back then. But, after movies like Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy have proven to be hits despite having similarly out-there worlds and mythology, I don't see why a Hellboy movie can't resonate a lot more with people now than it did before.

The only problem is that I doubt that Guillermo Del Toro would have anytime to make a third film with how many other projects that he's juggling, and I kind of don't want one unless both him AND Ron Perlman are returning. I just don't think anyone can do these sorts of films as well as Del Toro, and right now he's still trying to get a Pacific Rim sequel off the ground, while (supposedly) still shopping around a live action Monster TV series to different networks (which I also really want to see). So, the likelihood of a third Hellboy film is far too slim right now, given all of those things working against it.

gunswordfist

This makes me want to rewatch the films. I was a mild fan of them. I wonder if I'll also like them more now. Plus, if I do, I'll watch the 2 or 3 animated movies. The ones I saw parts of were a sold PG-13 and had great character design (like the comics), animation and voice acting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The X-Men: Apocalypse trailer just dropped: http://youtu.be/COvnHv42T-A

I'll admit, I know next to nothing about Apocalypse, and the most exposure that I've ever had with the character was the final boss fight from X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, but I'm pretty pumped for this movie all the same.

Also, it's a bit weird to hear Sophie Turner using an American accent.

gunswordfist

I hope Apocalypse doesn't look as stupid as he did in that promo poster.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Foggle

Daikun