Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 07, 2019, 05:56:15 PM
whenever Marvel gets around to their MCU X-Men movie.
That's another thing. What should their interpretation of X-Men be? Because they'll want to avoid stuff the Fox movies touched (for a while at least) for fear of unfavorable comparisons, but those films touched upon a lot. And even before the buyout, they were digging for scraps to use for the main X-Men movies. How can Marvel deliver a fresh approach to X-Men as a film series? Everybody's been talking about how they can be introduced, but what about which story arcs they would adapt? What the initial roster would be? How do they handle Wolverine?

Daikun

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on March 07, 2019, 09:49:28 PMThat's another thing. What should their interpretation of X-Men be? Because they'll want to avoid stuff the Fox movies touched (for a while at least) for fear of unfavorable comparisons, but those films touched upon a lot. And even before the buyout, they were digging for scraps to use for the main X-Men movies. How can Marvel deliver a fresh approach to X-Men as a film series? Everybody's been talking about how they can be introduced, but what about which story arcs they would adapt? What the initial roster would be? How do they handle Wolverine?

A lot of the Fox X-Men movies are really just the same recycled story: Wolverine learns to become an X-Man.
Marvel's approach should be simple: Don't do that. Literally do anything else and you have a fresh take.
Also, bring some bright colors to the movies. Fox's drab color scheme doesn't really fit with the MCU.

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Daikun on March 07, 2019, 11:50:22 PM
A lot of the Fox X-Men movies are really just the same recycled story: Wolverine learns to become an X-Man.
Marvel's approach should be simple: Don't do that. Literally do anything else and you have a fresh take.
Also, bring some bright colors to the movies. Fox's drab color scheme doesn't really fit with the MCU.
But the McAvoy/Fassbender movies did do that (even if they couldn't help but use Wolverine as a major player in DOFP). So not only do you have to avoid Wolverine for a while, you also have to avoid Charles and Erik's friendship as those movies thoroughly detailed, hammered, and repeated that aspect.

Foggle

Captain Marvel looks like a Phase 1 MCU movie they forgot to release until now. It doesn't help that they thoroughly destroyed Carol's character in the last half-decade of the comics by turning her into a cruel fascist with few redeeming qualities. How is anyone who read Civil War 2 supposed to root for this character? Seriously, they should have done a movie about Kamala instead.

I have no idea how Disney will handle the X-Men but I think it would be wise for them to do TV shows or cartoons about them instead of films. The theatrical MCU is sprawling enough as it is and a lot of the best X-Men stories are more suited for serialized television IMO. Plus, I think it'll be hard for the general public to accept anyone but Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, and even further confusion will be created since they aren't going to reboot Deadpool.

Avaitor

I do also wonder if they're going to make the X-Men movies another period piece like the Fassbender and McAvoy movies, since a big part of Magneto's character comes from his history as a Holocaust survivor, but we're getting increasingly further away from that period to have an active Erik in today's timeline.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

I wonder if they'll include Captain America in such a film, since they both hail from WWII.

Avaitor

Quote from: Daikun on March 08, 2019, 03:31:09 PM
I wonder if they'll include Captain America in such a film, since they both hail from WWII.
Now I kind of want to see a Cap and Wolverine film as well, since apparently they used to fight together back in WWII.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Carol!: The Movie was mediocre. Main problem is that while they certainly had to take away the alcoholic sociopath aspects of Carol's comic personality, they don't replace it with anything else. She's stuck as this stoic amnesiac who only shows shades of humanity when she finds out the real story about the Kree-Skrull conflict.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pretty much this.

If it wasn't being wholeheartedly innofensively generic, it was doing a poor job of trying to ape Guardians of the Galaxy's style of tone and humor. I also cringed at that reveal of how Fury came up with the name of The Avengers. That was a real "Solo" moment right there. Nobody asked for it, and what we got was just stupid.

Also, this movie blatantly contradicts some later MCU films (timeline-wise), in particular making one of Fury's memorable lines from The Winter Soldier a complete lie that feels so out of character for him.

I liked Ben Mendelsohn's character, though. Wouldn't mind seeing him come back in another MCU movie. He and the Skrulls could play a big part in the MCU's eventual Fantastic Four movie. Perhaps they could set up a character like Kl'rt.

Dr. Insomniac

The problem with Carol is that there's so little from the comics to mine from if you want a good movie. The most memorable Carol moments are her failures. When her son from the future raped and impregnated her with himself. When she committed violent acts on innocent people in both Civil Wars. When Rogue absorbed her powers so severely that she was left in a coma. And her triumphant moments are pretty generic and things you could apply to any other superhero. I guess the movie could have played up her depressing aspects, a Sandor Clegane-like character who's suffered through and committed evil but slowly chooses to fight for good, but that would have been a weird choice for someone meant to be the cavalry for the Avengers next movie. Especially when Nebula is already in that role.

Though I did find a more forgiving video that analyzes who this Carol is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thinking about it some more, a lot of this movie's retcons make no sense. Like, how did a Kree scientist just happen to have the Tesseract when it was established to be in SHIELD's possession the whole time after Howard Stark found it? Also, Carol gives Nick Fury that modified beeper to use to reach her in case of emergencies. How exactly did the Battle for New York, a literal alien invasion, not count as one, or even a major terrestrial threat like Ultron? And also, in the first Avengers film Nick Fury claims that SHIELD had just started using the Tesseract to develop advanced weapons because of Thor's appearance on Earth showing them that there were superpowered beings from advanced alien races, yet wouldn't SHIELD have already known that after the Skrull were witnessed on Earth (not to mention that they had an actual body to dissect and study)? Why didn't they just start developing that kind of technology back then, ESPECIALLY when it's made clear that they did regain possession of the Tesseract by the end of the events of this movie?

Honestly, this movie just creates more plot-holes while answering questions that nobody needed to know about.

Avaitor

I liked the movie a little bit more than you guys, but I agree that it's pretty middle of the road MCU. I thought that Larson did well with her material as Carol, especially when she was with Fury, but I agree that a lot of the timeline elements don't really make sense.

Also, this breaks the streak of better-than-usual villains that the MCU was having since Ego.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on March 10, 2019, 10:43:46 PMAlso, this breaks the streak of better-than-usual villains that the MCU was having since Ego.
It's weird how Marvel's been pushing Carol from a C-lister to an A-lister these past years, but they haven't given her an interesting rogues gallery for her movie to mine villains from. I'm looking at this list of her enemies, and all of them are either nobodies, villains from other rogues galleries, and other superheroes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Insomniac

Good.

Funny thing, a couple weeks ago, some news site made up the rumor that Bryan Singer would direct GOTG 3. And after Disney firing Gunn for so little as a rumor about child molestation, it was ridiculous to suggest they would replace him with someone who's actually being convicted of it. Not to mention his X-Men movies are the exact opposite of the GOTG movies in style and tone.