Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I was a bit weirded about Captain America under Origins, personally.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 29, 2013, 09:21:22 PM
You know, I've probably seen Men In Black like 20 something times since it came but I've never seen the sequel even once. So weird.

As for as the 2nd movie goes....you're not missing much. Trust me on this one?

I haven't even bothered to watch the 3rd film, myself.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As far as the Marvel movies go, for me, the ones that I like are:

1. Captain America: The First Avenger
2. The Avengers
3. X2: X-Men United
4. Iron Man
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Thor
7. X-Men
8. Spider-Man
9. The Incredible Hulk
10. The Amazing Spider-Man
11. Spider-Man 3
12. Spider-Man 2

Those are all what I consider to be the best Marvel movies that I have seen (and aside from the Blade movies which I have not see any of, I think I've seen mostly every other Marvel movie out there that was released within the past 15 years or so), granted that not all of them are necessarily great movies, but I consider each of them to be genuinely good to some degree. Stuff like The Hulk, Dare Devil, and Iron Man 2 qualify as movies that I don't necessarily hate, but certainly don't care for, either. Stuff like X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer are what I consider to be guilty pleasures of mine, even though they are terrible movies. And stuff like X-Men 3, the first Fantastic Four movie, and both of the Ghost Rider movies are ones which I consider to be just plain shit.

Spark Of Spirit

I could get behind that list. Despite the intense vitriol behind Spider-Man 3 I've never actually hated it. It just really should not have shoved Venom into it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 29, 2013, 10:51:11 PM

2. The Avengers
4. Iron Man
6. Thor
7. X-Men
8. Spider-Man
9. The Incredible Hulk
11. Spider-Man 3
12. Spider-Man 2
I like this list. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thanks! :thumbup:

The bottom half of those movies all have their flaws, but I still did really enjoy them a lot, nonetheless.

Also, while I love The Avengers, I just find that Captain America seems to be the Marvel movie that appeals to me the most, so far. It has likable characters, a good story, and I can re-watch it numerous times without getting tired of it. This also cemented Captain America as my favorite Avenger out of the Marvel movie-verse.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Foggle on March 30, 2013, 08:12:59 AM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 29, 2013, 10:51:11 PM

2. The Avengers
4. Iron Man
6. Thor
7. X-Men
8. Spider-Man
9. The Incredible Hulk
11. Spider-Man 3
12. Spider-Man 2
I like this list. :)
As do I.  :)

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 30, 2013, 01:17:03 PM
Also, while I love The Avengers, I just find that Captain America seems to be the Marvel movie that appeals to me the most, so far. It has likable characters, a good story, and I can re-watch it numerous times without getting tired of it. This also cemented Captain America as my favorite Avenger out of the Marvel movie-verse.
Pretty much this. I really need to get the rest of my family to watch it. I have a feeling they'll love it too.

gunswordfist

Lmao at Spider-Man 2 being below 3.

In other need, yay at GSP being a villain in Captain America 2.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I'm calling it. The character Ben Kingsley plays in IM3 will actually be a decoy Mandarin.

Avaitor

The press release for Captain America 2 has been announced. Besides the basics, such as Bucky returning, here is what we now know about it:

-Fury (duh, Black Widow and Maria Hill are showing up in this one
-Peggy will play a part in this one as well
-The Falcon indeed will appear
-Robert Redford will play a senior executive of S.H.I.E.L.D.
-This is the movie's bad guy:

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on April 08, 2013, 06:39:44 PM
-Fury (duh, Black Widow and Maria Hill are showing up in this one

I'm just praying that the use of SHIELD in this movie is nothing like how it was in Iron Man 2, where it was clear that Nicky Fury and Black Widow were just shoehorned into the plot after the initial story was written. Really, the movie could have worked just fine without their inclusion, and the plot would have barely changed, if at all. If SHIELD is going to be in this movie, then I'n hoping that they have been properly integrated into the main plot from the get-go. Also I hope this movie is actually....you know, good. That always helps, too. :thumbup:

Quote-Peggy will play a part in this one as well

I pretty much expected this after seeing that deleted scene from The Avengers.

Avaitor

They should just make a movie for Black Widow and/or Hawkeye so we can see more of them before Avengers 2, instead of just shoehorning them into the other hero's movies. Thy aren't as big of a deal in the comics as Cap, Iron Man or Thor, but I think movieverse fans are interested enough in the characters to see their own movies.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm really eager for Cap 2. I totally hope they nail it as well as they did the original.

Iron Man 3 I'm a bit iffy on. I liked 2 when it came out, but man it didn't last on repeat viewings.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah. To be fair, though, after having done some research on it (though, I could've just read up on crappy sources), I don't really think it was Jon Favreau's fault (or at least not all his fault). From what I have come to understand, the script initially didn't have so many tie-in scenes with SHIELD, but then Marvel kind of had them shoehorned into the movie to create more build-up for The Avengers, and I feel that it needlessly dragged down the pacing of the film and made the whole experience feel rather confusing and disorienting. There just wasn't enough time given to the actual characters we cared about, like Tony Stark....the main fucking character of the movie. And don't even get me started on how incredibly underdeveloped the villain was. I feel like if the story had just focused on the revenge plot and maybe kept in the sub-plot of Tony slowly dying, it would have worked fine. But there were a lot of needless SHIELD bits that threw the movie off-track, and it forced in yet another sub-plot involving Black Widow helping out Tony....even though she did stuff that could have easily been written for some other character that had nothing to do with SHIELD. Overall, it just felt like one big mess.

Avaitor

Really, you didn't need any of the SHIELD stuff, since so little of what happened in Iron Man 2 shows up in Avengers, just passing references to Fury initially nixing the initiative. You could've just introduced Black Widow in with the scene where she and Happy took care of shit, and that would have been enough. She'd still have more screentime than Hawkeye did in Thor.

Iron Man 2 just comes out as prep for Avengers that doesn't actually prep you at all.

New blog!