Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Avaitor

It's doing better on RT than Winter Soldier is, so Im not surprised.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't really like to use RT as a measuring stick for anything, especially not the quality of a film, but it is hard to ignore how positive most of the ratings for this movie are.

It also brings up the interesting comparison of how this movie stacks up to Captain America 2, and honestly, it could go either way. Since I'm more of a fan of Cap as a character, my bias leads me to slightly prefer The Winter Soldier over this film, but if someone were to say otherwise, I wouldn't argue with them because honestly this film is on the same level of quality, and I don't say that lightly at all. Both of these movies are top-tier superhero films, IMO.

Man, even a Marvel movie NOT made by Marvel Studios is this great. I feel really bad for DC right now.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw it on Saturday.

I gotta say, it probably had the best ending I've ever seen in a superhero movie. Not to mention a specific character turn that made the whole story work (who had absolutely no knowledge of the future) and how just about every X-Man was in this movie (sans Nightcrawler and Gambit) which really ratcheted up the stakes and made the ending even better.

Also, I'm glad they got Bishop in the movie and am surprised that Blink was used, but as an Exiles fan was quite excited, for the future segments. The Exiles fan in me was hoping for Morph or Mimic to show up, but I guess that would have been a bit too greedy.

So what can I say? Bryan Singer shows once again why he is the perfect director for the X-Men. If X1 and X2 didn't show it, this proves it. Everything from the action sequences to the character moments to the general themes were so well done. About the only thing missing was that... no, actually that'll probably happen in the next movie. This works both as an excellent follow-up to First Class and a sequel to X3 while bettering the first while re-writing all the horrible mistakes of the latter.

Spoiler
When Jean appeared I was happy, but seeing Scott made me ecstatic. Now give him a chance to shine, Singer!
[close]

About the only questions I have left concern the post-credits scene.

Spoiler
Who will the horsemen be? There are so many choices they could use. Angel? Wolverine? Holocaust? Gambit? Mr. Sinister? All were horsemen in different versions of the comics
[close]

As for whether it beats Winter Soldier, it doesn't. They might both be superhero movies but that's where the similarity ends. Different ideas, themes, and plots. Personally, I'm just happy that within a few months. we got not only one but TWO excellent superhero movies that can claim to be among the best. I was getting burned out on the genre a bit, but these last two films certainly showed me how much juice they still have.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, it's really hard to compare this to Winter Soldier since both films are so different, but as superhero films, I honestly feel that they are practically equal in quality, which is saying a lot since I already LOVED Winter Soldier as it was. The fact that we got another Marvel superhero film on that level of quality just over a month later is amazing.

Speaking of "Amazing," TASM2 just got trounced by being sandwiched in between the releases of these 2 gems, didn't it? I even enjoyed that film, despite its faults, but it really does look all the weaker when you see how much better the efforts of Marvel Studios and FOX's outings were. Of course, even with TASM2, this has easily been a far better year for Marvel superhero flicks than last year was with the decent but not great IM3 and Thor 2, and the incredibly disappointing AOS spin-off TV series. If Guardians of the Galaxy turns out to be great (which is entirely possible based on the tone of the trailers), then this could even arguably be Marvel's best year for movies.

Spark Of Spirit

One thing I like is Marvel's usage of different genres to keep things fresh. Like Iron Man was Sci-Fi, Thor was Fantasy, and Captain America was old school adventure. Now we have Winter Soldier which is like a Bourne style flick, Guardians of the Galaxy which is comedy/sci-fi and Ant-Man which is supposed to be a heist style movie. They tend to mix it up.

As for AOS, the way they seemingly tried to go back on Winter Soldier's excellent ending only makes me want to have less to do with it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Let's try a top 10:

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Captain America: Winter Soldier
4. X-Men: Days Of Future Past
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Avengers
7. X2: X-Men United
8. X-Men: First Class
9. Iron Man
10. Superman: The Movie

I realize two of them are extremely new, and I have no idea where they will eventually fall, but they are too good to leave off entirely.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For me, it would be:

1. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Dark Knight
5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
6. X-Men: Days of Future Past
7. X2: X-Men United
8. The Avengers
9. Iron Man
10. X-Men: First Class
11. Wonder Woman (2009 animated film)
12. The Dark a Knight Returns Parts I & II
13. X-Men
14. Superman (1978)
15. Batman (1989)

I couldn't stop at just 10, so I extended it to 15.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on March 15, 2014, 09:00:13 PM
I don't really see why Captain America is great (just good to me) and I actually like Avengers more. For me it's:

Iron Man
Avengers
Captain America
Thor
The Incredible Hulk (I need to rewatch Hulk hence this ranking)/Thor 2
Iron Man 2

I've yet to see Iron Man 3 and the first Iron Man movie is what I might consider great, idk, it's been awhile with that one too.
I'll just do a live action list for now:

The Dark Knight
Sin City
Batman Begins
Iron Man
Blade (need to rewatch, been awhile)
X-Men 1 and First Class (I have to rewatch both to separate them)
Avengers
Captain America
Thor
Amazing Spider-Man
X-Men The Last Stand
The Dark Knight Rises
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man 1
V For Vendetta
Wolverine: X-Men Origins
The Incredible Hulk/Thor 2
X2
Spider-Man 3
Iron Man 2
Blade 2
Blade 3

Honestly, I need to rewatch every pre-2012 movie on this list for a proper ranking. I haven't seen the Batman films and Superman films since I was a kid so they won't be listed until I've seen them as an adult. I also have never seen Superman Returns, Man Of Steel, Iron Man 3, Winter Soldier or Days Of The Future Past.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I watched Man Of Steel and Iron Man 3 at a birthday party last week. I halfway watched them, especially Man Of Steel, so I don't have too much to say about them.

Favorite animated movies:
1. Batman Mask Of The Phantasm
2. The Return Of The Joker
3. Wonder Woman/Crisis On Two Earths
4. Justice League New Frontier - I wonder if CN censored this. It wasn't a blatant censor job like Doomsday and it was pretty hardcore. I might like it more if there was cut footage that I could see in an uncut version
5. Hulk Vs. Wolverine
6. Hellboy 1 and 2 (need to rewatch, especially since I think I missed some parts from both. I remember them both rocking though)
7. Ultimate Avengers 1 and 2 (I forget which one I liked more. They were both about average though so no rush to rewatch)
8. Green Lantern First Flight (Probably got censored to death on CN. Need to rewatch either way)
9. Superman/Doomsday
10. Hulk Vs Thor
11. Planet Hulk
12. Batman Batwoman
13. Invincible Iron Man

The only movie here that I don't like here is Invincible Iron Man. That movie was fucking shit. Batwoman and Planet Hulk are slightly below average/good. I might be hard on Planet Hulk for not being half as good as its source material though. Also, Doomsday might actually be even more than below average, once I think about it but even after I stopped really liking it, it was pretty entertaining to me. Lastly, while the field is mostly not bad, its also mostly about 7 out of 10 material with only the first two being exceptional, imo.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Early reviews for GOTG are very favorable. Wow! There have been a lot of critical hits this summer, and this may just be the 3rd exceptionally great Marvel film this year (and the 2nd made by Marvel Studios). It's definitely a huge step up from last year. Anyone who thought that Marvel was losing their momentum and becoming lackluster just may have been proven wrong.

Avaitor

This is going to be the first MCU movie I miss opening weekend, since I'll be out of town, and the family I'll be with aren't much for super heroes. I'll probably get to see it later in the week.

But it's great that critics are liking it! I was really hoping that GOTG would catch on, and it seems like it will.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

It's been a pretty good year for comic book movies, hasn't it? And they just seem to be getting better and better.

So, what's up next? What are you most eager to see?