Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Pretty sure the Avengers two parter is also going to include the Guardians and maybe even other non-Avengers Marvel heroes too, so it makes sense for it be multiple films I suppose.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMThe rest of Phase 3 was announced today. And yes, Captain American 3 is Civil War. :whuh

:srs:

Well, at least we got 2 awesome movies out of the character.

QuoteNovember 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange

Admittedly I don't know anything about the character outside of that one Spider-Man annual that I read, but I have faith that Marvel knows how to make a property as outlandish as this one work. I mean, they made Thor work, which you might call a freak thing, but then they made Guardians, a movie with a talking raccoon and tree, into one of the most popular things of the entire year. They definitely deserve the benefit of the doubt on being able to adapt just about anything, by now.

QuoteMay 5, 2017 – Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 (new date)

Easily my most anticipated Marvel film outside of Avengers. Normally that honor would to to Captain America, but then Civil War happened and....yeah.

QuoteJuly 28, 2017 – Thor: Ragnarok

The Thor films have always been solid, IMO, so I'll probably enjoy this.

QuoteNovember 3, 2017 – Black Panther

Yes! It's about time that we finally got this movie! I love the character in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and he's my second favorite Avenger (right next to Cap) on that show.

QuoteMay 4, 2018 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part I

I love the Infinity Gauntlet comic, and I'm glad that this movie will be split into 2 parts in order to allow more time for good character development, rather than trying to cram so much into just one movie.

QuoteJuly 6, 2018 – Captain Marvel

My only experience with the character is from the show, but this could be a good movie if handled right.

QuoteNovember 2, 2018 – The Inhumans

I know nothing about this comic, so I'm not sure what to expect.

QuoteMay 3, 2019 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part II

I'm wondering if this will indeed continue with the MCU movie releases of happening in real-time, in which case a year would have passed since part 1, which is just kind of weird, or if it'll go against that tradition and pick up right where the first part left off.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMMay 6, 2016 – Captain America: Civil War
The only, and I mean ONLY, hope for this is if it bears no resemblance to the comic at all. But taking the focus off of Hydra and the Winter Soldier is already a big strike against it. Might as well make Thor 3 about The Hulk while you're at it.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMNovember 4, 2016 – Doctor Strange
This has a good chance to be a lot of fun.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMMay 5, 2017 – Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 (new date)
Not surprising that they moved this up given the massive success of the original, but I'm still excited for this.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMJuly 28, 2017 – Thor: Ragnarok
Oh look, it actually has something to do with the first two films. What a novelty.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMNovember 3, 2017 – Black Panther
I thought Marvel was racist? Why are they doing this? In all seriousness, this should be interesting.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMMay 4, 2018 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part I
Oh wow, they're splitting the third movie into two films? Definitely more interested now.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMJuly 6, 2018 – Captain Marvel
I'm not the most knowledgeable on the character, but glad they're doing this nonetheless.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMNovember 2, 2018 – The Inhumans
Unexpected. Highly welcome.

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 01:53:12 PMMay 3, 2019 – Avengers: Infinity War – Part II
Hope this doesn't get bloated, but this still looks like a good idea to me. How else do you make a film bigger than the first film and (potentially) the second.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Spoiler
[close]

I can't believe how big superhero movies are these days.

Spark Of Spirit

So I guess a third X-Men movie set in the past is a no-go now, huh? Shame. I was hoping the cast would have one more go at it.

Also, I'm sure I'm alone, but I'd actually be interested in a Gambit movie. He was one of the few things I liked about the first Wolverine movie. Though since the movie is no longer canon, I have no idea what they'll do with him.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Thinking about it, the thing I'd most like to see from the Captain Marvel film is heart. While I'm far from an expert on the character, many of the recent books I've read featuring her had this sort of ethos you rarely ever see from cape comics or summer blockbusters; like, genuinely touching moments. A big part of what elevated Guardians of the Galaxy above all other comic book movies for me were the emotional scenes where the characters showed signs of vulnerability and humanity. I hope to see this kind of writing in future MCU productions, as it really makes for a breath of fresh air in contrast to the suffocating darkness and humorous flippancy we've almost solely seen from the genre for decades.

Avaitor

I just don't want to see what happened to her in Avengers #200 to make its way into the movies.

Oh, and word is that Ant-Man will be the end of Phase 2 now, rather than the start of Phase 3. Fair enough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 28, 2014, 10:24:48 PM
Thinking about it, the thing I'd most like to see from the Captain Marvel film is heart. While I'm far from an expert on the character, many of the recent books I've read featuring her had this sort of ethos you rarely ever see from cape comics or summer blockbusters; like, genuinely touching moments. A big part of what elevated Guardians of the Galaxy above all other comic book movies for me were the emotional scenes where the characters showed signs of vulnerability and humanity. I hope to see this kind of writing in future MCU productions, as it really makes for a breath of fresh air in contrast to the suffocating darkness and humorous flippancy we've almost solely seen from the genre for decades.
Out of curiosity, have you seen Days of Future Past? Paired with First Class and the original X-Men movies, it packs a good punch for the characters.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on October 28, 2014, 10:30:19 PM
I just don't want to see what happened to her in Avengers #200 to make its way into the movies.
What happened there? :o

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 28, 2014, 10:30:41 PM
Out of curiosity, have you seen Days of Future Past? Paired with First Class and the original X-Men movies, it packs a good punch for the characters.
I loved Days of Future Past and the first two X-Men movies! I still need to see First Class, though.

gunswordfist

i have no clue why everyone is adamant about wanting strange to be non-white. i am excited about black panther. avengers being a 2 parter worries me. edit: whoops, fixed that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for lots of heart and genuinely emotional moments, I'd say that the first Captain America has more of it than any other MCU film that I've seen. It was directed by the same guy who did The Rocketeer, an underrated classic, and just like that movie, you could see he put a lot of passion into the work. That's why I just don't get it when people say that Captain America is the weakest Avenger and has the most boring movies. On the contrary, whereas the other MCU movies can be entertaining, there is a bit of a coolness and disconnect with many of the other characters, especially Tony Stark, which is why, while a great character, has never been a personal favorite of mine. With Cap, I always got a sense of genuine hear and emotion. I'd say that as a character, he's both more likable and more interesting than the other Avengers, personally.

In terms of not being dark, I don't really think that such a tone has ever been a problem for Marvel movies so far. They've all been generally pretty lighthearted and in the spirit of fun, with just the right touch of seriousness to them. I've say that as far as the tone goes, they've had that nailed down pretty well for years, which is why I don't mind that the Age of Ultron trailer was really dark, because I know that's just for the sake of building him up as a villain, and that the actual movie won't just be exclusively dark and gloomy and devoid of any fun or humor.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, have you seen Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Foggle? That show is the epitome of heart and fun and character, while still delving into really interesting stories that have some good dramatic merit to them as well. It's also where I got introduced to Black Panther and Ms. Marvel, among other unique characters (including the Guardians of the Galaxy, even if it was just one episode), and those interpretations of the characters are what got me interested in them in the first place.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 28, 2014, 11:06:20 PMhttp://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/42795-avengers-200

Damnit! You beat me to it. I was just about to link him to that review. :D

gunswordfist

oh yeah, i like the inhumans thanks to war of kings. i hope that turns out well.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 28, 2014, 11:09:55 PM
As for lots of heart and genuinely emotional moments, I'd say that the first Captain America has more of it than any other MCU film that I've seen. It was directed by the same guy who did The Rocketeer, and underrated classic, and just like that movie, you could see he put a lot of passion into the work. That's why I just don't get it when people say that Captain America is the weakest Avenger and has the most boring movies. On the contrary, whereas the other MCU movies can be entertaining, there is a bit of a coolness and disconnect with many of the other characters, especially Tony Stark, which is why, while a great character, has never been a personal favorite of mine. With Cap, I always got a sense of genuine hear and emotion. I'd say that as a character, he's both more likable and more interesting than the other Avengers, personally.
I was actually going to mention Captain America as well, but GOTG is my favorite (and actually made me cry a little) so I simplified by just sticking to that one. The first half and the ending of Cap 1 have some great emotional resonance, for sure. Winter Soldier also had some good human moments sprinkled throughout, as did the first act of Iron Man.

QuoteIn terms of not being dark, I don't really think that such a tone has ever been a problem for Marvel movies so far. They've all been generally pretty lighthearted and in the spirit of fun, with just the right touch of seriousness to them. I've say that as far as the tone goes, they've had that nailed down pretty well for years, which is why I don't mind that the Age of Ultron trailer was really dark, because I know that's just for the sake of building him up as a villain, and that the actual movie won't just be exclusively dark and gloomy and devoid of any fun or humor.
Yeah, I don't think the MCU has any tonal problems; I was speaking more of what everyone else was/is doing there. But I do want to see more emotional scenes in my movies about buff dudes beating up aliens. .3.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 28, 2014, 11:10:44 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on October 28, 2014, 11:06:20 PMhttp://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/42795-avengers-200

Damnit! You beat me to it. I was just about to link him to that review. :D
Watching now...