Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Good list. I pretty much agree with all of it, though DOFP is my new personal favorite, but it and 2 are pretty close in quality for me, so I could see it go either way, really.

Avaitor

I just saw DOFP last night, and I REALLY liked it. I'd say that Marvel is 4 1/2 for 5 this year, or possibly a complete 5 if I want to be generous to ASM 2.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That reminds me that I still need to see Big Hero 6, but even with TASM 2, this was still Marvel's best year by far, IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here we go, my rankings for all of the Batman movies (that I've seen):

Great Batman Movies:
1. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (yes, this is my personal favorite)
2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
3. The Dark Knight
4. The Dark Knight Returns Part II
5. Batman (1989)

Good Batman Movies:
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. The Dark Knight Returns Part I
8. Batman Begins
9. Batman Returns (OK, it's not good, but it's a guilty pleasure)

Mediocre Batman Movies:
10. Under the Red Hood (a lot of people love it, but I thought it was just OK, personally)
11 Sub-Zero
12. Mystery of the Batwoman

Entertainingly Bad Batman Movies:
13. Batman Forever
14. Batman and Robin

Horrendously Bad Batman Movie:
15. Son of Batman

And no, I haven't actually seen the Adam West or black-and-white Batman films, so I didn't count those within this ranking.

Also, I don't count Year One as a feature-length film, hence why I didn't rank it, but if I did, it'd be a top 5 for sure.

talonmalon333

I think it's fair to call Batman Returns a legitimately good movie. It's certainly nothing special, but Tim Burton's art direction and Danny Elfman's score are still great. And I do like Catwoman and the Penguin (Penguin a little less so, admittedly). My main problem is that it feels a bit too much like typical Tim Burton, and neither villain is as likable as Jack Nicholson in the first movie.

Foggle

talonmalon333

Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 21, 2014, 10:50:22 PM
I think it's fair to call Batman Returns a legitimately good movie.

Read the first sentence before the second. :sly:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like Batman Returns in the same way that I like Spider-Man 3, in that it's better to view the former like it's a Tim Burton movie rather than a Batman movie, and the latter is of course a better Sam Raimi film than it is a Spider-Man film. The one great thing about both of them is that they each use Danny Elfman music.

Lord Il

Quote from: talonmalon333 on November 23, 2014, 12:03:45 PM
I think it's fair to call Batman Returns a legitimately good movie.

Read the first sentence before the second. :sly:
Doesn't matter. You still made Foggle upset. geeeze... You should be ashamed of yourself. :il_hahaha: Go sit in the corner and think about what you did. :sly:

My main problem is that it feels a bit too much like typical Tim Burton, and neither villain is as likable as Jack Nicholson in the first movie.
I remember Tim Burton saying that he wanted to eliminate the "funny little man" image he had of The Penguin from the 60's Batman TV show and turn him into something truly vile and sinister. I like how he handled it. It's definitely Tim Burton's Penguin to be sure. And Danny DeVito... my god... so brilliant!

I understand what you mean, though. Jack Nicholson as The Joker was fun and upbeat. The Penguin was quite dark and foreboding. It was Catwoman who tended to liven things up for the better in that movie. She created a certain balance.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on November 23, 2014, 01:05:46 PM
Doesn't matter. You still made Foggle upset. geeeze... You should be ashamed of yourself. :il_hahaha: Go sit in the corner and think about what you did. :sly:
:il_hahaha:

QuoteI remember Tim Burton saying that he wanted to eliminate the "funny little man" image he had of The Penguin from the 60's Batman TV show and turn him into something truly vile and sinister. I like how he handled it. It's definitely Tim Burton's Penguin to be sure. And Danny DeVito... my god... so brilliant!
:thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You know what the TV show Gotham is missing, or rather, NOT missing? Noses. There are too many noses left in-tact on people's faces, and a certain someone seriously needs to bite them off. Perhaps he can do it to Jim Gordon's actor and get him replaced with someone more interesting.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Does this mean that not every movie in the DC live action canon will be directed by Snyder?

Avaitor

That doesn't sound like it would be remotely feasible to attempt, even if DC really wanted it.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on November 25, 2014, 02:57:59 PM
That doesn't sound like it would be remotely feasible to attempt, even if DC really wanted it.

I knew that the next few were his, so I just kind of figured we were stuck with him for these movies.