Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

I was surprised by Guardians of the Galaxy. They took a bunch of character that (from what I gather) not many people knew about, and made one of the biggest films of the year.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A lot of people were surprised by it, but personally I don't get why. A lot of people also seem to forget that, just bout 7 years ago, nobody outside of comic book fans knew who Iron Man was, and Marvel made that character a household name, and then proceeded to do the same thing for Thor a few years later. By the time that Guardians rolled around, I was already willing to believe that they could pull it off. Now people are wondering whether Doctor Strange can possibly work as a movie, and to me, as long as Marvel keeps up what they've been doing in terms of quality, then the answer is yes.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 01, 2015, 01:19:55 PM
A lot of people were surprised by it, but personally I don't get why. A lot of people also seem to forget that, just bout 7 years ago, nobody outside of comic book fans knew who Iron Man was, and Marvel made that character a household name, and then proceeded to do the same thing for Thor a few years later. By the time that Guardians rolled around, I was already willing to believe that they could pull it off. Now people are wondering whether Doctor Strange can possibly work as a movie, and to me, as long as Marvel keeps up what they've been doing in terms of quality, then the answer is yes.

I was also surprised by Iron Man. But that was years ago, so I kind of forgot he was ever less than a well known hero. .3.

Robert Downey Jr. helped to make the character into a mainstream name.

gunswordfist

iron man was well known but not super popular. iron man 1 is my favorite marvel movie.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Iron Man was well known to fans of superhero comics. The average mainstream movie viewer who didn't read any comics either mever heard of that character or were unfamiliar with who he was or that he was even part of the Marvel Universe, until the movie trailers came out, of course.

Captain America was more of a character that was well known by the mainstream public, but not in the forefront of relevance until the modern movies came out.

Avaitor

Captain America was really popular during WWII, and while Marvel was able to push him better than Thor or Iron Man during his silver age revival, but until the movies, he wasn't on the level of Spider-Man or the X-Men.

These movies really are doing wonders for the company.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on January 01, 2015, 04:03:44 PM
Captain America was really popular during WWII, and while Marvel was able to push him better than Thor or Iron Man during his silver age revival, but until the movies, he wasn't on the level of Spider-Man or the X-Men.

People such as myself had heard of the character and were familiar with his status as a WWII icon (and in my case as a playable character in the MvC games), but until The First Avenger came out, most only knew  him as that, and nothing about his actual character. I, myself, got properly aquatinted with him in AEMH prior to the release of the first film, which is probably why I enjoyed him so much more whe the film finalky did come out, since he was already one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Spark Of Spirit

The MCU has skyrocketed the popularity of every character that has appeared in them. The Avengers are a big deal now, but they were never highly known outside comic book circles until the movies. Of course, no one needs to mention GOTG and how the movie put them over the top in popularity.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I wanted to pick up a copy of Marvel Premiere Classic copy of the Rocket Raccoon miniseries that my local comic book store had when it was only about $8, but after the movie came out, they started selling it full price.

Can't blame them, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

i seriously doubt iron man was that unpopular. i didn't start reading comics until 2008 but i knew who iron man was since i was kid thanks to the spider-man cartoon. plus he's been in multiple cartoons and games since at least the 90s.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not everyone is you. A lot of people who watch movies aren't also necessarily gamers or comic book fans.

gunswordfist

i also said cartoons. iron man had his own show as well. he wasn't just some obscure character before his movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Unpopular Cartoons that most people never even watched, hence why they were canceled before long.

Avaitor

I also watched Avengers today, and you know, I've seen this in theaters more than once. I've also seen it online in rather shitty quality, but even then, I really enjoyed the film. On Blu-Ray on a decently big screen... yeah, this isn't a deep reflection on the psyche of a veteran and the playboy he casually feuds with, but despite some touch of shallowness, I still enjoy almost everything about the movie.

It really does feel like the big super hero film that I always wanted ever since I started reading comics. It's still got to be in the top 5 comic book films, for sure.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While not my favorite, it is still a damn fun film. It's not a deep or intricately plotted film, but it doesn't need to be. It knows what it is and excels at what it sets out to do. It's among the best in the genre.