Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
Thirdly is that as far as the DCCU goes, you literally only have one movie to go on so far. I didn't like MOS, but I'm not going to be pessimistic based on one bad movie (and to be fair, there are a lot of people who like that movie, so it's not even universally hated).
I know they decided to remove it from the canon after bad reviews, but let's not forget that Green Lantern was supposed to be the first DCCU movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Fun fact about Green Lantern:

That movie involved many of the same people behind Arrow and The Flash. However the movie is ass and the shows are actually good.

So what happened? The executives at WB raping whatever plans that they originally had for the film is what happened.

Spark Of Spirit

In an interview with Greg Berlanti, he said that the movie studio changed almost everything from the original script. He didn't have any creative control over it. If I could remember where I originally read the interview, that would sure be awesome.

Which is a shame, because Supergirl looks like the most authentic live action portrayal of Superman's universe I've seen in a long time. It's clear these guys should have more creative control.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I read that same (or maybe a similar) interview. It's well known by fans, though, that they basically butchered the original screenplay.

And when you look at how good Arrow and The Flash turned out, it really showcases how incompetent some movie producers can be.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, so RT aside (though, do note that the average review score is actually going up rather than down as the movie comes closer to release), it appears that the people outright slamming on Ant-Man are mostly the same people who are just tired of Marvel in general.

Meanwhile, 4/5 of the YouTube reviewers that I regularly follow gave the movie very positive reviews, even stating that it's one of the stronger solo MCU films as well as one of the genuinely funniest. The one other reviewer that I follow hasn't gotten to see an advanced screening of the film, so he hasn't posted a review up yet.

I wasn't expecting too much from this movie, TBH, but I'm really glad to hear that it's actually quite good from people who's opinions I generally trust based on several of their other reviews.

Spark Of Spirit

I found the interview with Berlanti, it's on the second to last page of the DC thread. They didn't even use his script at all. Amazing.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2015, 09:40:57 PM
Alright, so RT aside (though, do note that the average review score is actually going up rather than down as the movie comes closer to release), it appears that the people outright slamming on Ant-Man are mostly the same people who are just tired of Marvel in general.
Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to narrow looking over opinions for future superhero films. People who are sick of a genre and want it to end are not my concern when looking for a review of the actual film. It was tough dealing with AoU over that (while still trying to keep legit criticism) and it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I feel like no matter what, when anything gets too popular, you'll inevitably get people hating on it unfairly. The annoying part is sorting out the haters from the actual legitimate criticisms from people trying to view the movie from a less biased POV.

AAOU was hardly a perfect movie by any means, but neither was the first film, yet people hold that up to a pedestal while being way too ridiculously hard on the second film, IMO. Most of its problems are far more minor than a lot of negative reviewers let on, and the few actual noteworthy problems are obscured behind BS like people whining about Black Widow having a romantic interest in Bruce Banner.

I feel like we're entering into a phase of Marvel where people are now scrutinizing the films for anything they get wrong, whether it's a big issue or a minor one, rather than enjoying the movies for what they are. And there's nothing wrong with having high expectations, but I'm referring specifically to the people who go into these movies with the sole intention of hating on them.

gunswordfist

On the internet, people think it's "cool" to be sick of Marvel movies now. You'd think 5 or more came out each year and that Ant-Man wasn't the first true B-lister to get a MCU movie going by what they're saying.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Ant-Man seems like one of those movies that's going to be what you want it to be. If you're bitter about Edgar Wright leaving or that we got an Ant-Man movie before a solo Black Widow, then you're probably going to go out of your way to dislike it. If you think that this looks like a fun change of pace for the MCU or just want more material from it, it should be good.

I'm all up for it, myself.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I'm just about to see Ant-Man!

I'll make a talkback when I come back. I'm pretty excited, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The reviews have been fairly good for it. Putting the naysayers aside, the five YouTube critics that I regularly follow all gave it pretty favorable reviews, with two of them even stating that it was now their favorite Phase Two movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, in other news, we should probably all be grateful that TASM series is done.

Had TASM2 been a success, this is supposedly the even more ludicrous third movie that we would've got: http://io9.com/the-bonkers-plan-for-amazing-spider-man-3-bring-back-e-1718146107

Spark Of Spirit

I'm fairly certain those movies aren't going to be remembered for very long. Had they come out a decade or so ago they'd probably have more of a shot, but they just don't stack up to the other movies the genre is putting out now. I don't think this would have helped much.