The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Just found out that Ultimate MvC 3 is really a thing. Seriously, Capcom? SERIOUSLY? WHY? :shit:

Also, this.

Spark Of Spirit

Inafune is probably really upset. It WAS his most wanted game that he wanted to make. He finally gets the ball rolling and Capcom stomps all over it. Shitty fucking company.

Quote from: Foggle on July 20, 2011, 06:16:46 PM
Just found out that Ultimate MvC 3 is really a thing. Seriously, Capcom? SERIOUSLY? WHY? :shit:
It also doesn't have Mega Man in it, and they put in Phoenix Wright despite refusing to localize the latest game. Brilliant company.

(BTW, all of those characters should have been in the first version)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

Best thing I can say about UMVC3 is that it looks good enough to warrant a rental. (provided it doesn't give Capcom money that is)

Still pissed it doesn't have Megaman. Someone like Bass.exe would have at least been a consolation capcom.

Spark Of Spirit

Best comment on this whole situation:

"This means they'll cancel DMC due to the overwhelmingly negative fan reaction, right?"

AHAHAHA!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Rynnec on July 20, 2011, 07:35:54 PM
Best thing I can say about UMVC3 is that it looks good enough to warrant a rental. (provided it doesn't give Capcom money that is)

Still pissed it doesn't have Megaman. Someone like Bass.exe would have at least been a consolation capcom.
I'd end up just waiting to buy it used, through a second-hand source. That'd probably be the safest bet in ensuring that you're not helping them turn a profit.

It looks OK to me so far, but I'm not blown away. Of course, there could be a hint of negative bias from my standpoint, in regards to anything and everything Capcom does from now on.  :frown:

Daxdiv

I still can't believe that message was posted on a twitter account that belonged to Capcom. Really, this is just rage inducing enough that I took a screen cap for the future generations to look at.

Spark Of Spirit

You know who my 5 favorite game companies used to be?

Nintendo
Sega
Capcom
Konami
Square

So you can guess how much I'm loving this gen.

Foggle

Nintendo is fine aside from not bringing a few fan-requested games (Xenoblade, Fatal Frame 4, etc.) to the west. They've made a few dick moves overall, but they've managed to maintain a constant stream of quality games regardless and their retro revivals have all been great.

Aside from their stupid decision not to localize any more PSP games (and, by extension, presumably Valkyria Chronicles 3) and the downright cruel action taken against the developers of Streets Of Rage Remake, Sega has been awesome this gen. They're finally listening to the Sonic fanbase and making improvements; Colors was good, Generations looks great. All of their non-Sonic in-house games have been awesome. They took major risks by releasing both Yakuza 3 and 4 in the west (with the latter being a complete and proper translation due to fan demand), as well as with some other games like Valkyria Chronicles and Phantasy Star. Their partnership with Platinum is strong and really helped get great games like MadWorld and Vanquish (which may not have seen the light of day otherwise) off the ground.

Crapcom has been terrible since last gen and continues to get shittier with each passing month.

Ignoring the occasional Metal Gear, Contra, or Castlevania release, Konami hasn't been relevant since the 90's.

Square turned to shit once they became Square Enix, but they have Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman, and Just Cause now, so they can't be all bad.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't disagree with you at all. What I'm more disappointed in other than their games (Which Capcom, Konami and Square-Enix are failing on horribly) is more on the policy side, dumb decisions, and the inability to please fans AND the general public when it is pretty easy to gauge what both want.

Nintendo has made some downright boneheaded decisions, especially in localizing, but their games are the best they've been since probably the SNES.

Sega started out the gen on shaky footing, but with the turnaround regarding the Sonic franchise and their willingness to take chances (which NONE of the others listed do anymore), do put them a lot higher in standing with me. Of the five, they're easily the best one. But seriously, give me VC3. They also need to expand their IP roster and/or revive more older IPs.

Capcom... Well, they already said that I'm a terrible fan for not wanting their games hard enough, so fuck them. I enjoyed some scattershot games, but this gen was a hard downhill ride for them.

Konami is dead. How WayForward got Contra 4 must have involved witchcraft, because other than the Contra IP getting two fantastic games, they've done literally nothing above mediocre.

Also, I still consider the Eidos and Taito side of Square Enix as separate entities since they seem to operate independently. Square Enix released two new games I like this gen, both for the DS, both bombed and weren't marketed at all. I have given up on them.

The problem is that even though I do prefer this gen to last as a whole, there are a lot of dumb things that shouldn't be happening that are, and the sudden hard shift to multiplayer deathmatch gaming and subscription fees for content given for free in the past is clouding up all those great decisions. All those great games bombing and companies going out of business is a real drag, too.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on July 20, 2011, 11:16:32 PM

Nintendo
Sega
Capcom
Konami
Square

Shit, put Rare in there and we have the same list. I need to make a nostalgia thread
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on July 21, 2011, 12:37:04 AM
Nintendo is fine aside from not bringing a few fan-requested games (Xenoblade, Fatal Frame 4, etc.) to the west. They've made a few dick moves overall, but they've managed to maintain a constant stream of quality games regardless and their retro revivals have all been great.

Aside from their stupid decision not to localize any more PSP games (and, by extension, presumably Valkyria Chronicles 3) and the downright cruel action taken against the developers of Streets Of Rage Remake, Sega has been awesome this gen. They're finally listening to the Sonic fanbase and making improvements; Colors was good, Generations looks great. All of their non-Sonic in-house games have been awesome. They took major risks by releasing both Yakuza 3 and 4 in the west (with the latter being a complete and proper translation due to fan demand), as well as with some other games like Valkyria Chronicles and Phantasy Star. Their partnership with Platinum is strong and really helped get great games like MadWorld and Vanquish (which may not have seen the light of day otherwise) off the ground.

Crapcom has been terrible since last gen and continues to get shittier with each passing month.

Ignoring the occasional Metal Gear, Contra, or Castlevania release, Konami hasn't been relevant since the 90's.

Square turned to shit once they became Square Enix, but they have Deus Ex, Thief, Hitman, and Just Cause now, so they can't be all bad.
Is this new Phantasy Star good?

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 21, 2011, 11:56:32 AM

Haven't played it myself, but my friend loves it.

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 21, 2011, 11:54:09 AM
Quote from: Desensitized on July 20, 2011, 11:16:32 PM

Nintendo
Sega
Capcom
Konami
Square

Shit, put Rare in there and we have the same list. I need to make a nostalgia thread
I actually did a while ago.

It's not specifically video game related, but I talk about games for a little, and you're more than welcome to bring up stuff like Rare there.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on July 21, 2011, 12:54:17 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on July 21, 2011, 11:56:32 AM

Haven't played it myself, but my friend loves it.
Hallelujah

Foggle