Popular Opinions On Gaming

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 22, 2013, 01:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 02, 2013, 10:31:01 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 02, 2013, 10:24:45 PM
It's favorable.

So the general opinion is that DKCR > all of the classic DKC games?
The most common opinion from what I've seen is:

DKC2
DKCR = DKC1
DKC3

Basically it ranks well with them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

You know, it can be easy to complain about the state that gaming is in, at least when it comes to AAA titles. And really, we have gamers to thank for that. However, when it comes to quality franchises, I think we should give credit where credit's due. People are generally good at picking a best in franchises. In fact, I'll go through a number of video game franchises and pick the fan favorites.

Mario (2D): SMB3
Mario (3D) SMG2

Sonic: Sonic 2

Donkey Kong: DKC2

Zelda: OoT, ALttP

Metroid: Super Metroid

Metal Gear: MGS3

Silent Hill: Silent Hill 2

Resident Evil: REmake, RE2, RE4

Mega Man: Mega Man 2

Castlevania: SotN

Final Fantasy: FFVI

Twisted Metal: TM2

Monkey Island: Curse of Monkey Island

Those are just the franchises I thought up in a minute or two.

gunswordfist

thank God i am not the only one here who thinks sonic 2 is the greatest sonic game.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 08, 2015, 12:41:57 AM
thank God i am not the only one here who thinks sonic 2 is the greatest sonic game.

I'm not saying I think that. I actually don't. However, I recognize it as a solid choice by the fanbase as the overall favorite.

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll add some more to that list:

Devil May Cry- Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

Ninja Gaiden (2D)- Ninja Gaiden (NES)

Ninja Gaiden (3D)- Ninja Gaiden Black

Dead or Alive- Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate

Marvel vs. Capcom- Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Street Fighter- Street Fighter IV (including re-releases)

Soul Calibur- Soul Calibur II

Mega Man X- Mega Man X

Sparkster- Rocket Knight Adventures

Streets of Rage- Streets of Rage 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Star Wars- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Halo- Halo 2

Half--Life- Half-Life 2

F.E.A.R.- F.E.A.R.

The only one of those that I strongly disagree with is Halo 2, which I consider to be the weakest one made by Bungie. With NG (NES), while I love it, I consider the sequel to be superior. Interestingly enough, I found a pretty hefty split in the fan-base between DMC3 and the original in terms of which is best, though, overall, DMC3 seems to still remain a bit more popular.

gunswordfist

i think halo ce and sonic 3 & knuckles are the fan favorites in their respective series.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 08, 2015, 01:20:25 PMsonic 3 & knuckles are the fan favorites in their respective series.

Could be. But I've seen a lot of favoritism toward Sonic 2. It also seems to show up more often in "Best of" lists. Though it could be because the method of playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles kept some from playing it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There was a link posted on another thread where a bunch of people voted on their favorite Halo game, and Halo 2 hadthe most votes by far. It's more popular because of the multiplayer.

As for Sonic 2, the reason why it's more popular is simple: more peopke have played it. I believe that it's still officially the highest selling Sonic game of all time, and a lot of that has to do with it being bundled with the Genesis back when Sega was reaching the height of its popularity.

gunswordfist

i remember seeing it at the top of a lot of fans sonic lists over the last 10 to 11 years.

as for halo, ce seems to be the clear no. 1. i believe that's why it got a remake over the other 2 remakes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

You are aware that it was a 10th anniversary remake, and that Halo 2 literally just got its own 10th anniversary remake last year, right?

gunswordfist

i thought they said they weren't making one?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

gunswordfist

Speedy

That's cool that they remastered Halo 2, but it's apparently an XBox One exclusive, a console which I don't have and don't intend to buy.  Luckily, Halo 2 runs fine on the 360 in emulation mode and, unlike the first Halo on 360, is actually outputted in anamorphic widescreen.