Full Metal Panic!

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 28, 2010, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember that they used to have TSR on Netflix for us, but I'm pretty sure that they removed it. I'll have to double check that to be sure. All of the episodes are uploaded by FUNimation on Youtube, but only the first 2 of those are dubbed, and I think it's worth seeing the English dub for TSR, since the voice talent is nothing short of excellent for that series, thanks in part to all of the already great voice actors getting plenty of experience with their characters in the 1st season and Fumoffu.

Also, for those of you who want to get into the later parts of the story that have not been animated, but don't want to read fan-translated novels, then you can always check out the manga adaptation of those novels, in Full Metal Panic Sigma (it's not licensed in the U.S., so you'll just have to read online scans). It is as faithful of an adaptation to the original source material as you can get. Once again, this is something that the original author had involvement with, and you can tell that he heavily supervised the project, which is why it takes so long for each new volume to come out. The only downside to doing that is merely that you can't currently read to the end of the story. It has adapted everything pretty close to the end, but it still has just one more volume to go before it finishes the story, so at worst you'd have to wait until next year for that to come out.

Foggle

Think you mixed up CMMD and ANOT. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, you're right, I mixed up the titles.

My thoughts on those story arcs arcs were in the correct respective chronological order, through. ;)

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 22, 2013, 12:14:00 AM
Yeah, you're right, I mixed up the titles.

My thoughts on those story arcs arcs were in the correct respective chronological order, through. ;)
Yes, and they were pretty much spot on with my own. ;) I can't wait until we go more in-depth together for the blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

After getting some schoolwork out of the way, I finally finished The Second Raid. Not a personal favorite of mine, but a fantastic show none the less.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it's one of my personal favorite anime, but I'm glad to see that you liked it, all the same. Personally I think the best material from the series comes from the later novels, though, but as far as the anime goes, The Second Raid is easily the best anime that I've seen out of the giant robot genre, with Gundam 0080 being a close second for me (and another anime that you should watch).

And for the record, The Big O and Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force are tied for my 3rd place, and after that I don't really think there are any giant robot anime that I care for all too much.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that I've finished re-watching season 1 of the anime, its time for me to move onto re-watching Fumoffu! That should go by pretty quickly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

OK, so a somewhat random thought occurred to me.

The holidays are coming up by next month. Christmas is the ultimate holiday, and it's HUGE in Japan. And what is a big part of Christmas? Why, Christmas specials, of course! And Japan could certainly use more Christmas specials.

So, what does any of this have to do with FMP? Well, you guys know how we are never going to get the rest of this series animated. I mean, it's just flat out never going to happen. Well, what if we could at least get one more novel animated? And which one would be better than the next main story novel that takes place right after the last one to be animated?

That's right. Kyoto Animation should make an OVA based on Dancing Very Merry Christmas, and advertise it as a FMP Christmas Special (which it basically is), and then just remind people that it's from the author of Amagi Brilliant Park since that's popular right now, and in case people have forgotten that FMP is even a thing (which they basically have).

BOOM! New FMP anime material. It's basically the most that we can possibly get at this point.

Foggle

That would be swell. And if it sold well, we could finally get the best novels animated...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Also, some may claim that it's not really a Christmas Special, to which my response is: It's totally a Christmas Special in the same way that Die Hard is. It takes place on Christmas, and that's all that really matters. Killing terrorists in a corporate skyscraper or on a cruise ship; same thing. It's still on fucking Christmas.

Lord Dalek

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Lord Dalek

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Let me translate what it'll be about for you:

QuoteIn order to save the world from the side effects of Amalgam's latest experiments, Sousuke Sagara goes undercover as a teacher. He is immediately swept up in a conflict between the student council and the science club, who each have a member that is key to Sousuke's mission.

Here are the student's character descriptions:

Momo Kawanagare, the school's student council president. She is straight-forward and honest and has a strong sense of justice.

Beni Kinojyou, the bodyguard of the school science club. She's taciturn, brave, and confident. She has superhuman strength like an ogre.

Hachiko, the student council's enforcer. She's chivalrous, spirited, and fundamentally brave. She loves Momo and anyone who gets close to Momo is an enemy.

Hana Saryu, the student council's accountant. Contrary to her outward flirtatiousness, she's an aikido master. She has a broad outlook and is good at reading the atmosphere.

Touri Fueyama, the student council's clerk. She's brilliant and keeps her calm no matter what the situation is. Her grades are number one in the school.

Yuki Fuka, the club president of the science club. She's quick-tempered and unyielding. She searches for treasure around the school. Her science club has a rivalry with the student council.

Rui Aoi, a shy and weak member of the science club. She's big and eats more than most people. She and Fuka are childhood friends and are therefore, unfortunately for Aoi, often together.

Ukan Kurihara, Sousuke's senpai as a teacher, who offers him guidance. She uses the rod when guiding the students.

The lone screenshot:

Spoiler
[close]
Exactly what we've been waiting for!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton