The Flintstones reboot is dead.

Started by GaryPotter, April 26, 2012, 01:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

You have no idea how happy I am about this news.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Kiddington

Wow, Fox actually canned a MacFarlane project before it got off the ground and before it became shit?

2012, man. It's all starting to make sense now.  :awesome:

GaryPotter

Somebody create a thread on Toon Zone. They ought to know about this.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Did anyone honestly expect this to get off the ground? Even with Seth McFarlane on board, I figured it was dead in water since day 1.

I honestly don't see The Flintstones ever making a full time comeback, maybe a few holiday specials if they feel generous.

Avaitor

Truthfully, I didn't think this was too bad of an idea. Granted, Seth's work on his shows does leave a lot to be desired, but only Family Guy really has the random cutaways that people tend to hate, and who says that he couldn't get a staff talented enough to bring the characters back to life?

Of course, it probably is for the best that nothing comes out of this, because the chances of it sucking is pretty strong. It's probably a mercy kill.

Also, I finally got around to buying season 1 while it's $15 at WalMart today. About time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

American Dad is actually pretty hilarious for the most part. Can't stand FG or what I've seen of the Cleveland Show, though.

I thought this was a bad idea because it'd basically just be another MacFarlane "family comedy" with The Flintstones instead of original characters. It'd be boring as hell.

gunswordfist

The Flintstones needs no revival. What it needs is to be syndicated. I remember when we used to have more cartoons on tv like when Taz's show was on TNT. Those were the days.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Mr. Big

Am I the only one who was indifferent to the whole thing?

I mean, the original show wasn't that great...

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on April 26, 2012, 12:26:18 PM
American Dad is actually pretty hilarious for the most part. Can't stand FG or what I've seen of the Cleveland Show, though.

That I can agree with, although I think MacFarlane's involvement with American Dad is a lot less than it is on Family Guy, though (other than voicing Stan and Roger, obviously). The writing team is totally different, I know that much (and it shows). Cleveland Show is supposed to be the same way apparently, although obviously that isn't helping in that case.

From what I understand about the Flintstones reboot, though, they were making it sound like this was supposed to be Seth's pet project, so I can imagine he'd be working on it a lot more than the others. And we all know how that would go; it'd basically be Family Guy set in the stone age, and who honestly wants that?

Commode

I figured it would've turned out all right, but I guess if the Fox execs weren't impressed with it, it must have been bad.  I mean, it doesn't take a lot to please a Fox exec, after all the crap that they've aired over the years, and since Rupert Murdoch is known to approve of anything that'll make him money.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Goldstar

I was never a huge fan of The Flintstones, but I was at least curious to see how a new prime-time series on FOX would have gone. I mean, the shows' humor couldn't be too "adult" given that now The Flintstones is firmly established as a kid-friendly franchise with the characters schilling children's vitamins and breakfast cereals, and Seth MacFarlane has worked clean in the past (He's directed a few season 1 episodes of Johnny Bravo as well as the What-a-Cartoon! short "Larry & Steve"). However, regardless of how tame that that Seth's take on the series may have been, it would still basically be Family Guy in the Stone Age.

This is probably for the best. My feeling is that The Flintstones is one of those franchises that's best left in the era in which it thrived. Hanna-Barbera has done just about every spinoff, knock-off and variation on the series that can be done successfully over the past 4 decades. The Fruity/Cocoa Pebbles commercials or the occasional short/special are enough for me.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Mr. Big on April 26, 2012, 02:14:15 PM
Am I the only one who was indifferent to the whole thing?

I mean, the original show wasn't that great...
Yeah, pretty much. Can't say I'm disappointed that it's dead.