Super Smash Bros.

Started by Spark Of Spirit, April 28, 2012, 09:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

How about a place to center all comments and opinions on this very cool series?

In latest news, we'll be getting two Smash Bros. games, one for the 3DS and one for the WiiU! How will these turn out? Only time will tell.

Until we end up "Japan Time"-ing it, let's just fill our posts with speculation, opinions, and memories!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Mewtwo, Roy, and Pichu.

I want them back. Yes, even Pichu.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I want the speed of Melee back. That or at least don't make everything feel so floaty. I liked the control of gravity from Melee and its a shame it was removed in Brawl. It made normal attacks feel like they had more weight to them and it helped create this nice little combo system. I will admit Brawl's floatiness gave room for some nice aerial battles but certain characters didn't feel right in the air especially with how many of them would have moves that left them helpless except to fall.

I hope for more Mute City/Delfino Plaza type stages. The ones that float around and take you to different parts with different obstacles. I love those so much and it gives room for more cameos and fanservice in the stages. I could do with less Battlefield clones.

I would be mostly pleased if they go back and fix Classic Mode instead of stripping it down further. Bring back Board the Platforms, Grab the Trophies and Race to the Finish, and make the Break the Targets mini games unique to each character again. Melee's method of having fixed gimmicks with randomized characters works a lot better than Brawl's fixed characters but randomized gimmicks set up.

Foggle

I really liked almost every single stage in Melee... :??:

Spark Of Spirit

I don't want any clones in the next game. Every character needs their own move-set (except Mario & Luigi, of course). Ganondorf has no reason to play like a slow Captain Falcon, and Lucas could have had different B-moves than the same ones as Ness (Flash aside). I'd rather more time went into this than stuffing the game with extras.

Also, take Fludd off of Mario. It made him useless.

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 28, 2012, 09:34:02 PM
I want the speed of Melee back. That or at least don't make everything feel so floaty. I liked the control of gravity from Melee and its a shame it was removed in Brawl. It made normal attacks feel like they had more weight to them and it helped create this nice little combo system. I will admit Brawl's floatiness gave room for some nice aerial battles but certain characters didn't feel right in the air especially with how many of them would have moves that left them helpless except to fall.
My one issue with this in Melee was that it made certain characters horrendously overpowered against others. Sakurai needs to test this game for balance before release. It seems the only game in the series with any semblance or real balance is still the first game where any character can win against anyone.

But I do admit to enjoying aerial battles, but that might purely because my mains excel in aerial attacks

QuoteI hope for more Mute City/Delfino Plaza type stages. The ones that float around and take you to different parts with different obstacles. I love those so much and it gives room for more cameos and fanservice in the stages. I could do with less Battlefield clones.
Delfino Plaza was great, but I'm not a big fan of the F-Zero stages. The cars just hit too hard. I still think the best F-Zero level is Big Blue for being platformer madness. But yeah, more stages that bring you to other areas would be nice. I bet there will be a Galaxy level in the next game that does this.

QuoteI would be mostly pleased if they go back and fix Classic Mode instead of stripping it down further. Bring back Board the Platforms, Grab the Trophies and Race to the Finish, and make the Break the Targets mini games unique to each character again. Melee's method of having fixed gimmicks with randomized characters works a lot better than Brawl's fixed characters but randomized gimmicks set up.
Agreed again. Classic mode is my favorite mode for quick games. I'd like it to have all the features the original one had.

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2012, 09:41:47 PM
I really liked almost every single stage in Melee... :??:
"Almost", huh.  ;)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 09:45:38 PM

I can't agree hard enough on that. Mario was my main and without his tornado he just loses so much of his offense. The A version is just too quick and too weak to be worth anything. FLUDD should really just be an item.

QuoteMy one issue with this in Melee was that it made certain characters horrendously overpowered against others. Sakurai needs to test this game for balance before release. It seems the only game in the series with any semblance or real balance is still the first game where any character can win against anyone.

That's the thing about a small cast. You're bound to have a lot more balance, and it certainly helps that the N64's game had the biggest stages of series. They didn't have Temple or New Pork City but they didn't need it since the stages were big enough and the screen edges were a lot bigger and forgiving too.

QuoteDelfino Plaza was great, but I'm not a big fan of the F-Zero stages. The cars just hit too hard. I still think the best F-Zero level is Big Blue for being platformer madness. But yeah, more stages that bring you to other areas would be nice. I bet there will be a Galaxy level in the next game that does this.

Mute City did it right. The cars were strong but not instant KO's like in Port Town. They were also able to be destroyed, and the areas to fight weren't absolutely huge. On the other hand, it was rather boring since there was barely any platforms to fight on and at times it was just a contest to see who could hog the platform while it moves.

And this goes without saying but fix the online mode. Holy shit sometimes it crawled to an absolute snails pace.

gunswordfist

I love the original and Melee so much. Brawl is going to be it for me though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on April 28, 2012, 09:57:45 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 09:45:38 PM

I can't agree hard enough on that. Mario was my main and without his tornado he just loses so much of his offense. The A version is just too quick and too weak to be worth anything. FLUDD should really just be an item.
Yeah, I had to make Luigi my third (or second) because I simply couldn't live without the spin. Hopefully since the spin is so important in Galaxy and NSMBWii they'll give it back to him and make Fludd an item.

QuoteMy one issue with this in Melee was that it made certain characters horrendously overpowered against others. Sakurai needs to test this game for balance before release. It seems the only game in the series with any semblance or real balance is still the first game where any character can win against anyone.

That's the thing about a small cast. You're bound to have a lot more balance, and it certainly helps that the N64's game had the biggest stages of series. They didn't have Temple or New Pork City but they didn't need it since the stages were big enough and the screen edges were a lot bigger and forgiving too.
Yeah, I like Sector Y (or is it Z? I keep forgetting) in 64 because it never feels all that big when it is pretty large.

QuoteDelfino Plaza was great, but I'm not a big fan of the F-Zero stages. The cars just hit too hard. I still think the best F-Zero level is Big Blue for being platformer madness. But yeah, more stages that bring you to other areas would be nice. I bet there will be a Galaxy level in the next game that does this.

Mute City did it right. The cars were strong but not instant KO's like in Port Town. They were also able to be destroyed, and the areas to fight weren't absolutely huge. On the other hand, it was rather boring since there was barely any platforms to fight on and at times it was just a contest to see who could hog the platform while it moves.
Oh yeah! I forgot you could do that! I guess I was just to caught up in being similar to the stage from Melee.

QuoteAnd this goes without saying but fix the online mode. Holy shit sometimes it crawled to an absolute snails pace.
Without saying indeed. There was no excuse for that. The best match I ever got was still the very first one, Me (Ness) Vs. Ike Vs. Pikachu. It was a pretty solid 2 minutes of back and forth with no slowdown whatsoever.

I never got a match that good again.

Rynnec

My wants for the game(s):

-Mewtwo returning (pretty likely since his data was on Brawl's disk)
-Mario Galaxy stage 
-Bowser's Castle stage (another one long overdue)
- Multiple Final Smashes with a "Super Final Smash" that would launch incredibly over-the-top attacks that look like something out of Super Robot Wars. Team Final Smashes
-"Team Final Smashes", some which are unique to specific teams (a "TFS" with Yoshi and Link, for example, would look something like this
-Character specific endings for Classic mode.
-Bring back as many of Brawl's composers as possible, along with some new to Smash as well (I'd love to hear a Daisuke Ishiwatari-fied remix of the final boss theme from Yoshi's Island). Some non-game composers like (Yuki Kajiura, for example) would be nice too.
-More females and more villains, this goes without saying.
-Color pallette's that would reference various characters from other videogames, and non-videogames (for example, Ike would get several colours that would make him bear superficial resemblences to characters like Guts, Cloud, Dante, etc.)

Character wishlist:

Mario
-Geno
-Kamek
-Fawful

Zelda
-Midna
-Zant
-Ghiram
-Vaati

Donkey Kong
-King K. Rool

Fire Emblem
-Lyn
-Black Knight (either boss-only, or playable)

Kid Icarus
-Magnius(sp?)

Haven't played Uprising yet, so I wouldn't really know any of the new characters except Magnius

Golden Sun
-Isaac/Matthew
-Felix

Star Fox
-Krystal

Advance Wars
-Sammi (she can be a clone of Snake for all I care)

F-Zero
-Black Shadow

Pokemon Trainer
-5th Gen Pokemon Trainer (Preferably Hilda, though Hilber can get in as a reskinned pallete swap)
-Leaf (Reskin of Red)

Metroid
-Rundas
-Sylux
-Ridley if able to scale him down enough (and for the love of Arceus, don't make him look like he did in Melee's intro)

Kirby
-Galacta Knight (if not able to differentiate enough from Meta Knight, then make him boss-only)

Sonic
-Eggman (boss-only. He needs to be in this so he can team up with Bowser,Ridley and Ganondorf ;D)

Third Party
-Bomberman
-Simon or Soma (all of the games he's in, sans Harmony of Despair, have been Nintendo Exclusive)
-Black Mage

I think I may have more ideas, but these are all just off the top of my head.

Kiddington

Rynnec

I knew I was forgetting someone. How could I forget Fawful?

Modified my post to add him in. :)

Spark Of Spirit

Brawl has the best game soundtrack ever. I don't care if it's "cheating" or not, it still does.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMCharacter wishlist:

Mario
-Geno
-Kamek
Good picks, but I agree with Kiddington. Fawful needs to be in.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMZelda
-Midna
-Zant
-Ghiram
-Vaati
That's a lot, but I think Vaati is the most likely. And the most underrated.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMDonkey Kong
-King K. Rool
And Dixie! They fill out my 4 slot thing, too!

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMFire Emblem
-Lyn
-Black Knight (either boss-only, or playable)
I'd like to see an archer, an axe wielder or a mage of some type. Ike is different enough to Marth, but I'd like even more of a difference.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMKid Icarus
-Magnius(sp?)

Haven't played Uprising yet, so I wouldn't really know any of the new characters except Magnius
You're in for a treat. *SPOILERS FOR KI:UPRISING!*

Pretty much any character works as a fighter. Magnus, Palutena, Pyrron, and Hades (if he had a victory taunt against every character, that would be amazing) would all work really well.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMGolden Sun
-Isaac/Matthew
-Felix
I'd say Isaac is a lock if the series gets representation. Felix is an obvious second.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMStar Fox
-Krystal
Would she get a Landmaster, too?  :happytime:

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMAdvance Wars
-Sammi (she can be a clone of Snake for all I care)
Advance Wars is hard to call for characters. They'd probably have to have completely new moves.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMF-Zero
-Black Shadow
He could have taken Ganondorf's moveset easily. The only other clone that would work. But there is quite a large F-Zero cast, it needs more characters. Captain Falcon is in the original 10, for cryin' out loud!!

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMPokemon Trainer
-5th Gen Pokemon Trainer (Preferably Hilda, though Hilber can get in as a reskinned pallete swap)
-Leaf (Reskin of Red)
Pokemon Trainer was the best idea for a character in Brawl. They should have called him Red/Blue, though. It makes adding new characters in the style easier.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMMetroid
-Rundas
-Sylux
-Ridley if able to scale him down enough (and for the love of Arceus, don't make him look like he did in Melee's intro)
Anthony Higgs?  ;)

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMKirby
-Galacta Knight (if not able to differentiate enough from Meta Knight, then make him boss-only)
If RTDL is any indication, Waddle Dee (with Spear) is a lock. I personally want Knuckle Joe.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMSonic
-Eggman (boss-only. He needs to be in this so he can team up with Bowser,Ridley and Ganondorf ;D)
Yep, this I want. If any other Sonic character is in, it should be Tails. Knuckles as an assist trophy is about all else I'd agree with.

Quote from: Rynnec on April 28, 2012, 10:06:47 PMThird Party
-Bomberman
-Simon or Soma (all of the games he's in, sans Harmony of Despair, have been Nintendo Exclusive)
-Black Mage
Bomberman is a good pick. He also has the easiest moveset to think up.

QuoteI think I may have more ideas, but these are all just off the top of my head.
I can add some.

Punch Out!
Little Mac
Mr. Dream (Boss)

StarTropics
Mike Jones
Zoda (Boss)

Starfy
Starfy

Wario
Kat & Ana (Sort of like a ninja Ice Climbers)
Captain Syrup
Mona (Since she's pretty iconic with WarioWare)

Mostly I'd be happy with the assist trophy characters getting the upgrade.

Kiddington

Hey guys, what about Waluigi?  :awesome:

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

If Waluigi has his Mario Kart 7 appearance, sure.

Bowser Jr. is okay if he drives a kart and his partner is Toad. Then I'll destroy you all!  :>