What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 10, 2013, 04:49:51 PM
Shonan takes place during GTO actually. My biggest problem is that it's basically GTO just with a smaller cast of characters and is basically a throwaway sidestory in the end since none of these characters ever show up again in GTO. I think that's my biggest disappointment with it.

Hmm, I see. I've never seen the original manga or anime, so I didn't know that. Although, looking it up, Shonan was written years after the end of the original manga series, so that's probably why the characters never show up in the original manga.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My problem with it is that its clearly just there because GTO was popular. It has little of the wit and charm that made Shounan Junai Gumi and the original GTO such fun series, in the first place, IMO. I don't necessarily think its bad, though, but I did lose interest in it after about 50 or so chapters. Those other kids just aren't as interesting as the ones from the original series, anyways (which is probably why the author had to bring in some older characters about half-way through).

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 10, 2013, 06:35:48 PM
My problem with it is that its clearly just there because GTO was popular. It has little of the wit and charm that made Shounan Junai Gumi and the original GTO such fun series, in the first place, IMO. I don't necessarily think its bad, though, but I did lose interest in it after about 50 or so chapters. Those other kids just aren't as interesting as the ones from the original series, anyways (which is probably why the author had to bring in some older characters about half-way through).

Hmm, I've really enjoyed what I've read of it so far. I've never read the other GTO mangas or watched the anime, though, so I'd probably have a different opinion once I get around to reading/watching those.

gunswordfist

Over the last few days I've read:

Deadpool Headtrip - Decent adventure but it seemed to go on for two long. For some reason I imagined Betty's and the head's voice to be in a British accent.

Rurouni Kenshin Volume 20 - The events in Rememberance are giving some context on what's happening in the present day of the Rurouni world including grudges two of the comrades have. One more volume and that backstory will be complete.

Deadpool Classic Volume 6 - Too repetitive. Thom Cruz, Shaddup, Regis, Albuerquerque and DP whining about how everyone is going to betray him was said too much.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Quote from: Avaitor on March 10, 2013, 03:26:56 PM
So on Marvel's digital distribution site and app, basically all of their first issues are available to stream for free.

Gogogo.
Well, I got a few of the comics I attempted to download, but I still can't download the rest on my phone. I'm annoyed because I can't get the one I want the most, the first issue of the recent Hawkeye series, to DL.

Ah well, I have a couple of goodies to read anyway, including some choice Deadpool titles.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Volume 21 of Rurouni Kenshin last night

Rememberance storyline got finished. How Tomoe died wasn't stupid like in the movie. I believe Tomoe caught the ninja guy's arm in Trust & Betrayal iirc which is dumb since if she could do that then Kenshin would have had no problem slicing him up. It made sense in the manga because they probably had tunnel vision while trying to kill each other and Tomoe could get in the way (without the stupid arm catching) like that. And I finally paid attention to how Kenshin got the cross shaped scar.

I still think it's weird that Shishio had flame attacks back then but how badly he owned that traitor was fucking hilariously.

I liked how battle with the comrades started in this book and there was a decent amount of action.

gunswordfist

Read Rurouni Kenshin volume 22 a few days ago. I'm liking this arc but really wondering how it's going to last a few more books. It seems like things could wrap up real soon but I'll just have to see how a delivery of something will effect things.

I finished Deadpool Classic 7 yesterday. Funny how serious things began and how it got sillier and sillier. It started out with an issue that was a straight up noir story for crying out loud then it goes all the way to a tale about DP getting a sidekick.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 10, 2013, 04:28:37 PM
Urusei Yatsura is fun, but sometimes the abuse on Ataru gets to be too much for my tastes, and none of the characters are nearly as funny or well-developed as the cast in Ranma 1/2. Both are good reads, and make me want to check out Maison Ikkou soon.

I'd like to kindly rescind this earlier comment. I've now found the characters in Urusei Yatsura to be quite enjoyable in their own right, and some of them on par with my favorite Ranma 1/2 characters (Mendo and Ryoko's relationship reminds me a lot of the Kuno siblings' relationship in Ranma 1/2, actually). However, I do find Jariten and Onsen-Mark annoying, though, and do not enjoy chapters that feature them prominently. Hopefully they dont appear as much as I continue to read on...

Avaitor

Mehhhh

So I decided to catalogue all the Avengers comics I own, and I'm going by what they've released so far in the Essentials books. There are only 8 volumes so far, but they add in the crossovers that matter and cut out the issues that are just reprints, so these are good to go by.

In the eight-volumes worth of comics from these collections, I have 9 of these issues- 8 from the main Avengers comic line, and one Giant-Size book. I need to work up on my collection fast.

But yeah, if you're curious, they tend to put out these books every two years now, and the last one just came out last year. So I'll have to wait another year for the next one to come out to check up on. But we might get another one the year after, thanks to the second movie.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Read American Vampire Volume 4 this weekend. More backstory on Skinner Sweet. He's turning into my favorite new villain.

gunswordfist

I read:

Samurai Executioner v 6- This series is truly timeless. Asaemon goes through a few 'family/status changes'

Saga v. 1 - Not impressed. Didn't care for the by edginess or all the drawn sucks. I will probably continue this series due to one character though.

The Last Days Of American Crime v. 1 - I is impressed. Rick Remender, who also write the Bulletstorm video game, did a good job here. Very interesting concept with a good plot.

RacattackForce

Currently on the hunt for W.I.T.C.H. as part of a foreign animation/comics article series I'm doing for a blog I'm putting together with some guys on Twitter. The show was pretty great, even before Greg Weisman came on for the second season, so I'm hoping the source material is just as much fun.

Avaitor

Welp, I just got my first Avengers issue from back in the double-digits. #61, for only $10.

I'm building my collection!

New blog!

gunswordfist

Over the last two days I've read:

Criminal V. 3 - Damn that was sad. Nice intro by John Singleton.

Rurouni Kenshin v. 23 - Man, Saito's fights are always short. Enishi/Himura finally starts

RK v. 24- ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish they went through with it. I was kind of hoping they would plot twist it away and then when they did, I saw it from a mile away and wish they didn't.

RK v. 25- And things ate starting to come together.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its true that the part in RK where a certain character turns out to be alive is pretty predictable and a total cop-out, but I still enjoyed the rest of the story past that point, so its one of those things that I can look past in favor of what I did like. Its the same with Genkai's "death" in YYH. I feel like bringing her back was sort of a cop-out, but she had some important moments in the following arc, and it turned out that it was a fucking awesome arc, with her parts included, so it was something in which I felt the good outweighed the bad.

I will say that the final set of fights in RK are all pretty lame and anticlimactic, EXCEPT for Kenshin's last fight, which is awesome in a ridiculously over-the-top sort of way, IMO.