Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, Nick has no respect whatsoever for its legacy shows. They have such bad tunnel-vision that they don't even realize that they're sinking in the ratings because they haven't tried to build any new shows since Spongebob, whenever they get something (like Avatar or Zim) with potential, they bury it and dump it ASAP. Once Spongebob ends and kids get sick of Dan Schneider's stuff, they have nothing to fill the void.

While CN has its issues, at least it does remember its roots and sometimes even plays older shows.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 19, 2012, 09:32:14 PM
Yeah, Nick has no respect whatsoever for its legacy shows. They have such bad tunnel-vision that they don't even realize that they're sinking in the ratings because they haven't tried to build any new shows since Spongebob, whenever they get something (like Avatar or Zim) with potential, they bury it and dump it ASAP. Once Spongebob ends and kids get sick of Dan Schneider's stuff, they have nothing to fill the void.

While CN has its issues, at least it does remember its roots and sometimes even plays older shows.

I agree. As silly as it may be for Cartoon Network to have live-action (Level Up really isn't that bad though from the episodes I sat through), I'm really happy they're finally starting to catch up to Nick and Disney's ratings because they're the one that has the best variety. I don't hate SpongeBob. but fact is it's been overexposed for too long. Tuff Puppy is actually decent, and I love the Kung Fu Panda series, but while the Panda still gets plenty of encores Tuff Puppy is practically isolated on Saturdays. And while I like iCarly and Victorious, they aren't going to last that much longer (iCarly has gotten to the point that Gibby is more grown now).

As for Disney, their lack of animation is sad considering how good their lineup used to be. Too many of their sitcoms are fame-seeking Hannah Montanna clones. The only watchable shows they have to me are Fish Hooks and Phineas and Ferb. And the former is pretty average. Judging by how their ratings are slipping too, I think it's obvious that Miley Cyrus was just Disney's SpongeBob. Now that she's older and retired from the show, the house of cards they built is slowly starting to topple. At least the Mouse House is supposed to have several new cartoons later on (or so I hear).

Avaitor

Nick does occasionally acknowledge their roots, like in the 90's Are All That block and recent DVDs, but they take for granted how much the teenage/young adult audience will eat it up if they let us. It's a shame, too.

These bumps are great, btw.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I agree that Nick notices the audience now, but I still don't think they quite get it. Letting shout get DVD rights and allowing Joe Murray to at least contribute something to the Rocko sets is a step in the right direction.

Disney is just banking on Hannah Montana lightning to strike twice. It hasn't and it probably won't. While doing that, they could at least try to expand their animated offerings. It is, after all, why they even exist.

CN had a rough period a few years ago, but they seem to be recovering. Playing Looney Tunes again is a massive coup (may it never leave again) and acknowledging the material that got them to where they are is nice, and the effort they put into their originals (subjective opinions aside) has been pretty good. We're far from the bland era and the live action period.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

My biggest problem with the Nick DVD sets is how little overall effort is being put into them (other than Rocko). You've got nothing in the way of special features for any of the others sets, and then there's the "breaking them up into Parts 1 and 2" thing for the same cost as a full set, which is still complete crap... although from what Shout says, that whole deal is more on the major retailers like Walmart than it is on them or Nick, who claim they don't want to carry 4-Disc DVD sets of animated shows for whatever reason, so I don't know who to really believe on this.

They're getting better about these things no doubt (we've come a long way just in 2-3 years), but it still leaves much to be desired. Theoretically, The 90's Are All That should have solved the DVD problem anyway, since having these shows on TV again is pretty much the next best thing, but with so little variety in the lineup (seriously, AIR LEGENDS AGAIN, IT'S BEEN MONTHS), it's hard to call that any kind of real solution.

Avaitor

You'd think that Disney Channel would put more effort into their animation side considering how much of a cross-generational hit P&F is, but they really aren't. I mean, Disney XD does have a lot of shows, but nothing, Marvel aside, has any appeal for anyone over the age of 8.

Hiring Craig McCracken to be in charge of their animation department and having Tom Ruegger work on that Dwarves show for Disney Junior are steps in the right direction, but considering what happened to Fish Hooks, the chances are very likely that nothing good will come out of this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

A large portion of Disney XD isn't even in-house, though, which really speaks to the state of Disney animation that they're so called "animation channel" is roughly 70% Canadian imports.

Sigh... remember Toon Disney (aka Disney Afternoon, the channel)? Now that was a Disney animation channel done right. Where did it all go so wrong?  :shit:

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Kiddington on April 20, 2012, 04:40:27 PM
A large portion of Disney XD isn't even in-house, though, which really speaks to the state of Disney animation that they're so called "animation channel" is roughly 70% Canadian imports.

Sigh... remember Toon Disney (aka Disney Afternoon, the channel)? Now that was a Disney animation channel done right. Where did it all go so wrong?  :shit:
Jetix and those darn Power Rangers! >:(

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on April 20, 2012, 04:27:24 PMHiring Craig McCracken to be in charge of their animation department and having Tom Ruegger work on that Dwarves show for Disney Junior are steps in the right direction, but considering what happened to Fish Hooks, the chances are very likely that nothing good will come out of this.
Really.

Back in the 80s, Disney realized they needed a push and created Gummi Bears, DuckTales, and the rest, and put everything they had into it.

Now they simply copy Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon and call it a day.

If they would at least try, instead of wasting all that talent, they could be a real force again.

Avaitor

I mean, you gotta admit, whatever you think of the show now, the animation and artwork from this can easily fit into Disney's canon.

But when you watch this, would you guess that it came from the Mouse House?

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on April 20, 2012, 05:07:10 PM
But when you watch this, would you guess that it came from the Mouse House?

I'll admit, I actually kinda like the art style this show has to offer (even though to answer your question, no, it doesn't look like something that came from Disney).

What kills it for me is just about everything else. When you have Kyle Massey providing voice overs for your animated series, and that isn't the worst thing about it, you know you've got problems.

Spark Of Spirit

I think we should take this to the Disney forum here. But yeah, I agree with you, Avaitor.

Avaitor

Back to Cartoon Network nostalgia, here is my rankings for this week's Cartoon Planet.

Johnny Bravo
Cow & Chicken
Flapjack
Billy & Mandy
Dial M for Monkey

Not one of the best, I feel. I don't care for season 1 of Billy & Mandy or Monkey, so these eps didn't do much for me. I also thought that the Flapjack wasn't too funny, although the ending was cute. The highlight by far was seeing the best episode of Johnny Bravo air. And if you don't know which one I'm talking about, you don't know me very well, do you?

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Kiddington

Haha, looks I missed it again. I was actually out of town this past weekend though, so at least I had an excuse this time.  :humhumhum:

Doesn't look like I missed too much again, though. Dial M For Monkey always was a real weak link to Dexter for me. The shorts just aren't very funny or entertaining at all. Now, the Justice Friends, on the other hand...