Game of Thrones

Started by Lord Dalek, April 07, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

Funny to remember that ages ago, The Sopranos' ending used to be seen as one of the infamously bad TV show endings, but then fans took a while to digest it and now understand what Chase intended.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Listening to Preston tear apart the show never gets old for me. In this case he was pointing out why D&D's recent defenses of season 8 are utter bull-shit and don't even hold consistent to their own sense of logic: https://youtu.be/O5AE6zHXC5c

Dr. Insomniac

I recall a month ago, there were interviews with the GOT writers where they thought Tywin was "lawful neutral" and they didn't understand why audiences cheered when Dany killed Randyll Tarly. And it's curious where they reached those conclusions. Tywin might believe his cause to be right, but he's ordered so many murders and rapes of innocent people that you can't possibly look at them and think the ends justified the means. Even when demoting the Tysha plot to happenstance in the show, he still commanded his soldiers to gang-rape a prostitute to humiliate Tyrion. What exactly's "lawful neutral" about that? And why should anyone care about Randyll's life? The show spent years reminding us he was such a horrible father to Sam, and he's no better once he shows up in-person. But we're supposed to think Dany's horrifying for murdering a character we're obviously supposed to hate? Dickon's death's a pity, but we never spend enough time with him to think his execution's unforgivable.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For all his railing against the show, Preston will call out GRRM's very own plot-holes as well: https://youtu.be/hiHsV_bTn6w

I find it amusing because admittedly I never put too much thought into the massive leap in logic that this crucial plot point that kicks off the whole main story takes. That said, when you think about it, yeah, it's a really big leap, even for a fantasy series.

Daikun

Daikun

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

They should have cast an actor I don't recognize, because seeing Matt Smith in that wig is annoying. Even if this show turns out to be genuinely good, I won't be able to look past that.

Daikun

You mean GRRM will actually write something? :sly:

Avaitor

Oh, he's done plenty of writing. He just won't work on the books.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

He did release two ASOIAF books after Dance, they were just prequels and history books.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The House of the Dragon Premiere was actually pretty decent, all things considered. Part of this may be far lower expectations after the abysmal last couple of seasons of Game of Thrones, but you can tell the new showrunner has a distinct creative vision that sets this show's style apart from D&D on Game of Thrones.

Not sure how I feel about Matt Smith as Daemon, though. He does a pretty good job of portraying a brash and impulsive dick-head who still has a lot more wit about him than someone like Joffrey, but I also can't help but be reminded of Doctor Who everything I see him. Maybe that will phase out over time.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm more confused that Matt Smith's typecast as villains now. Skynet, Milo Morbius, the guy from Last House in Soho, that rumor he was going to play a young Palpatine in Star Wars. He's good at doing evil, but it's a bit weird that's what casting directors consistently get from him.

He's also the only one of the cast who instantly stood out to me. Everyone else just kinda blended into the background.

EDIT: It didn't occur to me on first viewing, but Preston's video is making me wonder why the jousting tournament here was a lot more bloody than in Robert's reign?