RPGs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Yeah, I'm looking him up right now and am recognizing a lot of things he's been in that I'm familiar with. :P

gunswordfist

Wait, THE Leonardo? Jesus...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I keep on forgetting that PS2 had more than one Final Fantasy. What's everyone's opinion on XII?

Foggle

I haven't played it, but I don't think I'd like it, since it apparently has the same battle system as Xenoblade Chronicles, which puts me to sleep.

gunswordfist

I've never played that either. :sweat:

On another note, I've barely played any Action RPGs. My favorite type of RPG is still JRPG, cliches and all.

talonmalon333

So, having still been pushing my way through FFVIII, I must ask... did anyone else who played this game find it incredibly easy to just spam GF monsters on any enemy that's remotely tough?

gunswordfist

I think I did that. Probably that, spammed my best magic and spammed Limit Breaks.

Spark Of Spirit

FFVIII is probably the easiest modern Final Fantasy game because the junction system is so broken. Contrast that with the dull as dirt characters and boring story and I've never bothered to beat it. I just couldn't muster the energy to do it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2015, 06:26:56 PM
I think I did that. Probably that, spammed my best magic and spammed Limit Breaks.

The magic spells are also easy to exploit because you can just been drawing them from enemies. But the GF's are so powerful and so risk free to use. So whenever I'm in a boss fight, I just find myself constantly using them, and since they have their own HP, they also make for good shields thus allowing my teams to get out of big fights without getting hurt much. I know Limit Breaks are activated when you take enough damage, but I haven't yet used a single one because I keep dominating fights.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 27, 2015, 06:32:24 PM
FFVIII is probably the easiest modern Final Fantasy game because the junction system is so broken. Contrast that with the dull as dirt characters and boring story and I've never bothered to beat it. I just couldn't muster the energy to do it.

I feel ya. I'm really trying to give this game a chance, but I feel like it doesn't want me to. I always feel like I need to force myself to turn it on and play it, whereas I should be wanting to play it. But as easy as the gameplay is, I do think the characters and story are the main issues. There are, at most, maybe two characters in the whole game that I almost like.

FFVIII should be more recognized as one of the biggest video game disappointments of all time, than it currently is.

Spark Of Spirit

I can say it was a disappointment for me, but FFIX more than made up for any disappointment I had. It's not that it was a bad game, I just don't think it stacked up to VII at all and wasn't even close to the greatness of VI or the other SNES RPGs Square was known for.

I should have caught it earlier when I got the demo disc for it when I bought Brave Fencer Musashi and didn't really care for it then, but I guess I just hoped Square would have really tried to top themselves after trying so hard for VII. The final game didn't really do much more for me, unfortunately.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I do think VIII feels like a game that tried hard to top VII, so it honed in on a few of VII's greatest strengths while forgetting everything else. At the very least, VIII's soundtrack is solid and the graphics are a clear step up from VII. The character models don't look at all bad, as dated as they are now.

gunswordfist

I thought I was the only one here who liked FF VIII's character models.

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 27, 2015, 10:32:45 PM
I thought I was the only one here who liked FF VIII's character models.

I prefer the style of I-VII's characters, but to say that VIII's aren't technically superior to VII's would be foolish.

gunswordfist

I prefer VII's style as well and I've only played the demo for the game.

talonmalon333

GSF willingly played FFVIII but has only played the demo for VII. The jokes write themselves.