What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLordGTZ

I finally finished Maison Ikkoku.  It's definitely one of my favorite anime now. 

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: VLordGTZ on October 28, 2013, 06:17:50 PM
I finally finished Maison Ikkoku.  It's definitely one of my favorite anime now. 

:swoon: :e_hail: :el_hail:

Awesome! Watch Urusei Yatsura next! (start from season 2 with episode 28, though, since you won't be able to find season 1 subbed very conveniently).

gunswordfist

I watched episode 5 of Fate/Zero, last night, I believe. I am really starting to like this show. I wish more series had more than two sides in it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

gunswordfist

I watched episode 7 of Fate/Zero for dinner. Time powers, you say?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 31, 2013, 12:48:34 AM
This review is for you, E-K: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/gto/great-teacher-onizuka/dvd-complete-collection

It's a well written review from one of the better ANN editors. That said, I disagree with the author that GTO only works as a nostalgia piece. I only first watched it when I was in college, and it never felt dated at all, to me, outside of the animation.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 102 of HXH. I had a feeling Melereon's power was based off of DBZ's Guldo when he first explained it. When demonstrated its 2nd use, that confirmed it.

LumRanmaYasha

Just came back from seeing The Wind Rises.

Twas a good story for Miyazaki to end on, especially considering his love for aviation and aircraft. A very touching, human story, but with plenty of the wonder that his films always seem to capture so amazingly. I can't say I thought it was a perfect film, since it more chronicles a life than tells a story with a clear direction and goal, but it was definitely a good movie, maybe my favorite film I've seen this year. And it was nice seeing it in a theater in it's original language, especially seeing how that's a first for me, and it was nice to do that with Miyazaki's last film. He's ended on a high note, in my opinion, and that makes me happy. I'll probably see this movie again when Disney dubs it, so I'll hold off on more elaborate thoughts on the film for now until I've seen it twice, but I definitely recommend checking it out as soon as you guys are able to.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't see how stories that chronicle a life can't be as good as films with a clear, direct story (I'm referring to how you used that to follow-up the statement that the film wasn't perfect; though, IMO, no film is perfect). Some of my favorite films ever are like that, and if anything it's just that the story is about someone's life. Sometimes that's pretty refreshing when there are so many movies about some crisis or issue that has to get resolved in a relatively short amount of time.

Wolf Children: Ame & Yumi is essentially just about a mother raising her kids from infancy into the late parts of their childhood, and I like it just about as much as something as action-packed as Redline. It doesn't have the flash or fancy animation of the latter, but it makes up for that with a lot of insight into family values and issues, and has characters that you just like to see grow up, and it's just as interesting to watch for that very reason.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of Miyazaki films, but I do respect the guy as a creator/animator, and it's always a shame to see such a talented figure leave the world of animation behind. Of course his work will still be around for a long time, so I doubt that he'll ever be forgotten.

LumRanmaYasha

Well, first I meant "perfect" as far as films can be "perfect," not in a total masterpiece-gauging sense. My favorite films, after all, are hardly perfect themselves.  :D

What I really meant was, the movie never really built up to anything. It was more of a collection of particular moments in Jiro Horikoshi's life, detailing his inspiration for becoming an engineer for planes, his struggles and successes in building his dream plane, and the story how he met, courted, and married his wife. There wasn't really a goal or main plot consistently worked toward and payed off in the film, and I myself didn't find that to be a bad thing (in fact I loved it), but for other people I could imagine them wondering "what was the point?" This may be my favorite Miyazaki film, actually (though I must give it a re-watch before I decide that for sure), so I definitely never meant to imply that stories that chronicle a life can't be as enjoyable as films with direct stories, just that for a lot of people it might not work for them as an experience.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 15 of Fate/Zero for breakfast, episode 103 or 4 {I forget) of HXH for lunch and episode 16 of FZ for dinner(a few minutes ago)

For FZ, that was a nice ending to the Caster fight, episode 16 was intense, sad and unexpected. I thought it was a cooldown episode but they continued their duel. As for the end of the episode, I actually wondered if a Command Spell could make a Heroic Spirit do that...

As for HXH, how clever the end of "the game of Tag" impressed the hell out of me. I also liked how he called him an idiot. :D

Daxdiv

Pokemon Origins first episode was dubbed and the cast was pretty good in this.  Wasn't your typical NY voice actors, but rather LA. Red was voiced by Kirito, Oak by Adult Gohan, Brock was Ichigo Kurosaki. I was not expecting this in the slightest. They also reduced Charmander's blood curling scream by giving them new voice actor as well.

gunswordfist

Finished Fate/Zero yesterday morning.... :shit:

Watched episode 105 (I think), of HXH. I knew she would say "My life." but didnt expect the heartfelt explanation.

LumRanmaYasha

Episode 817: Spooky Shelter! Espurr Watches You!! (January 30th 2014)

Holy shit, even the anime writers know that Espurr is a creepy bastard!  :o

didn't know where else to put this ^^,

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been watching the FUNi dub of Level E. They've really done a good job with this series. I actually find Togashi's cynical sense of humor to shine through with the dub more than ever. I also have to say that while it's just a short anthology series, this show is proof that Togashi is a damn clever writer. I struggle to think of any series besides his own that are consistently as unique and unpredictable while still being backed by actual good writing and some semblance of interesting characters.

I know that Level E and Hunter X Hunter are a bit too out there and won't appeal to everyone, but if you go into them with the right mindset then they can be tremendously fun series. I'd recommend at least checking both out if you haven't already tried them.