Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Season 3 of Foster's...mmm, that one was pretty hit and miss, and has a few of of what I feel are the "worst" episodes in the series in it. I do still actually like the show as a whole reasonably well, but I don't think I'll pick this up, especially since I don't even have the first two seasons in the first place.

Avaitor

The second is CRAZY hard to find, at least at a reasonable price.

And to be fair, I don't remember seeing it anywhere when that came out. Even with the Billy & Mandy set, which is also hard to find, I remember seeing a few copies at my Best Buy when I bought it. Foster's was MIA when I checked.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

I recall seeing the second set around in a Barnes & Noble before, myself. Same with the B&M and the EEnE sets. In fact, I don't think I've ever actually seen those in another store besides B&N.  :sweat:

Avaitor

I remember seeing some of the CN releases for $5 at Wal-Greens years ago. That's how I got season 2 of EEnE and Big Boogie Adventure.

I regret not getting the PPG Movie from there when it was around, because I can't find the DVD anymore.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Five years ago I would've bought this for sure. Now? Eh.

Quote from: Avaitor on October 28, 2014, 01:41:39 AM
The second is CRAZY hard to find, at least at a reasonable price.

Yeah it's like $50 on Amazon.....although that's actually down from what I remember, it was around $70-80 a couple years ago back when I was actually looking for a copy.

Given this news, they could definitely stand to re-release it.

Avaitor

Lately, I've been watching Sheep in the Big City again. It really is a great show, one I wish was able to last longer and grow a bigger following, but it probably was too weird for your average kids. Still, it's the closest we have to the best of Jay Ward's talents after his passing.

I've also seen a little bit of Time Squad recently as well, and my opinion hasn't really changed on it since I was a kid. The show has some genuinely funny moments, when I can remember them. It's ultimately kind of forgettable.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Bumped into this on youtube and the nostalgia was way strong. :shakeshakeshake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-etRy0dg8 Still my favorite LT spinoff. And it almost makes me want to do a Greatest Cartoon Opening Tournament.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

God, I love this thing. Tom Jones nailed it.

New blog!

Foggle

One of the best show openings ever!

LumRanmaYasha

Damn straight!  :thumbup:

You know, a Greatest Cartoon Opening Tournament might not be a bad idea, actually....

gunswordfist

He really did. Makes me proud that I liked both Fresh Prince and Duck dodgers so much. :D

Yeah, I didn't think a Cartoon version of OPs could stand up well but there are a decent amount of legit standouts. Your call... :thinkin:

Avaitor

I was checking out Cartoon Network's online shop, and noticed that they have a new label of sorts. This is mostly geared towards their recent stuff, with Adventure Time, Regular Show, and a great-looking Steven Universe shirt, all designed by guest artists.

The reason I post this here is because there are also KND and Johnny Bravo shirts, actually designed by Tom Warburton and Van Partible. If you want to support the shows and the creators themselves, this seems like a pretty cool way. Plus, I really like the sketch of Johnny on his tee.

New blog!

Daikun

Today on his YouTube channel, Maxwell Atoms released his student short film pilot for Billy & Mandy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVTyJ3Yecx0

EDIT: He provides a bit more insight on his Tumblr.

Spark Of Spirit

This might be a controversial post but I'm gonna put it out there anyway.

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is not a good show.

I've been catching some episodes on Boomerang, and I've been trying to enjoy it but can't. It comes down to the fact that there's no central purpose for the show. It's about a home for imaginary friends, okay. But then what? What is it supposed to do? Is it supposed to be a slice of life comedy? It doesn't really do that. Is it supposed to be a fantasy show where the characters get involved in crazy plots? No. Is it supposed to be about a boy and his friend and how they learn and grow together? If that was their goal it failed miserably. No, the show has no focus at all. The plots are mundane, tired, and don't form a coherent style at all. The pilot is actually nothing like what the show became.

And the humor is aggressively mean. You could point out things like the Bendy episode (which is crap), but that one is not out of joint with anything else the show does. Every episode features a character getting pointlessly dumped on, while everybody else is oblivious to it, and features an ending where said character is kicked when they're down. I'm not even exaggerating: if you can tell me one episode besides the pilot which isn't essentially centered on a character beatdown then I'll be utterly surprised. Foster's is about characters hating each other, and that's it. It's also not very funny.

What is strange about it is that if you look at the credits there is a lot of talent behind this show. Yet they wasted a great premise, interesting art style, and good voice actors, on Racist Dawg: The Series. Foster's only gets worse with age.

In conclusion, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends is the definition of a miss. It's sloppy, unfocused, hateful, and offers nothing original outside its premise. It's going to go down as Craig McCracken's worst series, no question.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I used to hate in Foster back in the day. I found it very boring. I was willing to give it a try after seeing an episode I liked years later though.