Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love First Blood (check my top 50 films of all time list), have a bit of a soft spot for the first sequel, and don't particularly care for the other two.

And as much as I'd love to see Last Blood, those Creed trailers look surprisingly great, and the film is being directed by the same guy who did Fruitsvale Station, so we may just be in for something special. Based on that, I can wait a bit for that (hopefully) final Rambo movie.

Spark Of Spirit

I definitely want to see what they'll do with Creed, but I sincerely hope Last Blood is his next project. A bookend to First Blood is really exciting to imagine.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I thought you hated Rambo, ek? I actually like the first two movies equally. I don't care for III and I thought 4 was alright.

I need to pay more attention to Creed...starting with actually watching a trailer. I didn't know Michael B. Jordan would be Creed's son in the movie. That and the fact that I liked Rocky Balboa, has me interested in the movie.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Where have I ever stated that I hated Rambo?

First Blood is one of my all-time favorite action movies. The second movie is a guilty pleasure.

I'm not a fan of III, or the fourth film which is actually called Rambo, but I don't recall saying that I outright hated them, either.

gunswordfist

I just said I thought you said you hated the 2nd movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't remember saying that. I did just call it a guilty pleasure, though, so I certainly don't think that it's good, as much as I just enjoy it for nostalgia-reasons.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not the biggest fan of Tarantino, but I kept hearing the rumor that he was planning to direct films of Len Deighton's "Game, Set, Match" trilogy and I would be all for that.

Though I'm sure everyone else would prefer him to keep making originals, I would want to see him do this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Technically, Django Unchained isn't an original. It's clearly a gritty modern update of the original film from the 60's, though at the same time doesn't quite fall under the category of a remake or reboot. Even so, since it shares the same namesake, it's technically "a" Django movie, instead of being "the" Django movie.

Also, a lot of Tarantino's films essentially rip-off a ton of elements from classic films (mostly foreign) which he loves, so it's not like he's the most wildly original director out there. Thus, I don't see why he should have a problem adapting source material if it's something that he himself has some admiration for and would be interested in making into a film.

Avaitor

A lot of people consider Jackie Brown his weakest for the simple reason that he adapted it from a book.

Seriously. That's why.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 12, 2016, 11:08:29 PM
Technically, Django Unchained isn't an original. It's clearly a gritty modern update of the original film from the 60's, though at the same time doesn't quite fall under the category of a remake or reboot. Even so, since it shares the same namesake, it's technically "a" Django movie, instead of being "the" Django movie.

Also, a lot of Tarantino's films essentially rip-off a ton of elements from classic films (mostly foreign) which he loves, so it's not like he's the most wildly original director out there. Thus, I don't see why he should have a problem adapting source material if it's something that he himself has some admiration for and would be interested in making into a film.
Which reminds me,I still need to see City Of Fire.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Relevant: https://youtu.be/lVCpXYBFvuo

Another unpopular opinion that I have:

As far as remakes of classic Westerns go, 3:10 To Yuma is a superior film to the Coen Brothers' True Grit. Everyone talks about the latter because of who made it, but most people I know didn't even bother to see the former. Now, even putting my personal distaste for the Coen Brothers' films aside (I don't hate them by any means, but I'm just not a fan), and acknowledging that True Grit is probably one of their more accessible movies even for non-fans, I still find it to be kind of a mixed bag at best. The performances are great, as is the cinematography, but the pacing is way too slow and several portions of the film honestly kind of bore me. It has its moments, but as far as darker Westerns with a more somber tone go, Unforgiven does that style much better, IMO. Meanwhile, 3:10 To Yuma also has great acting and cinematography, but also boasts terrific pacing, memorable dialogue (I'd put it on par with Django Unchained, myself), a really intense final shoot-out scene (on top of generally having great action), and a much more engaging protagonist (not to mention an awesome set of villains with characters like Ben Wade and Charlie Prince).

But, since that movie doesn't have the Coen Brothers' name attached to it (or Tarantino, for that matter), nobody seems to give a shit.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw 3:10 to Yuma in theaters. It was pretty great. I saw True Grit on DVD. It was okay.

Might be because Coen films are just so sluggish. Not just with action or drama, but when waiting for the story to finally start moving.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also saw it in theaters. It was a pleasant surprise for my dad and I, as we went in with fairly low expectations and came out really impressed.

True Grit had a great set-up, but ultimately felt way too slow for its own good. Like I said, I don't mind a slow Western when it's kept interesting like in Unforgiven, Bone Tomahawk, or the last two-thirds of The Hateful Eight, but True Grit honestly had my interest waver quite a bit over the course of the movie.

GregX

Zack Snyder managed to prove himself to be worse than Michael Bay. It's amazing. It's tremendous. There are not enough adjectives in the world. Allow me to explain: Michael Bay is a juvenile sleaze that has no idea how to construct a story, flesh out characters, or direct action sequences that cohere. Michael Bay's audience consists of angry, young, horny white teenage boys looking for something to masturbate to. That's Bay's audience. Bay admits it. Bay wears it on his sleeve. Bay doesn't care. Zack Snyder, on the other hand, makes his movies for the exact same audience, but insists he is some artistic genius. Zack Snyder is a pretentious asshole, he's Michael Bay if Bay deluded himself into thinking he's Stanley Kubrick. But he's not. He's just some schmo. A deeply stupid schmo.

So yeah, Snyder makes Bay look like Scorsese. That's my unpopular opinion, and you know how much I hate Bay.

Avaitor

I'm not sure what the consensus on this is, but as A New Hope knock-off, Guardians of the Galaxy>The Force Awakens
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/