The Flintstones reboot is dead.

Started by GaryPotter, April 26, 2012, 01:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Kiddington on April 26, 2012, 05:55:36 PM
What's Tom Ruegger up to these days?

He'd be perfect for this.
Making a Seven Dwarfs show for Disney Jr.

And I haven't been keeping up with the ratings, but TLTS seems to be doing too well to be shitcanned, or at least was.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, it was up until it was pushed to 8:30 by Level Up. And since nobody watches Level Up...

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 26, 2012, 06:09:46 PM
Yeah, it was up until it was pushed to 8:30 by Level Up. And since nobody watches Level Up...

It's hard to fathom all the wasted advertising dollars that are actually going into this.

I have never, never seen CN promote something as much as they do Level Up. Not even CN Real (starring Andrew WK!) got this kind of personal attention from them. It's just... it's so wasteful.

Avaitor

I see.

Oh well, they couldn't keep the momentum for Mysterys Incorporated going either, so it's not surprising that they let another entity like TLTS go to the side due to poor management.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

I just never see it anymore.  It used to be on after the shorts in the mornings, but all I ever see now is Ben 10(I leave before 7, so maybe it's on then).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rynnec

According to my Cox Cable guide, TLTS is on every weekday at 9:00am and/or 1 or 2:00pm.

Kiddington

Speaking of, did it (TLTS) ever end up getting any better as it went along, for those that were keeping track? Honestly, I just completely lost interest in it after about 10 episodes or so.

I tried to support it, but it just got too boring and sterile for me after a while. The show is way too dialogue driven for a Looney Tunes production (hardly any slapstick to speak of), and the writing just wasn't very good to make up for it, at least from what I remember.

Should I make an effort to give it another chance, or not?

Dr. Insomniac

It got better later on. And to be honest, my taste for slapstick kind of got killed by parody movies, so I'm all the more grateful for dialogue-driven humour.

Spark Of Spirit

IMO, the best material has been holdovers from Laff Riot.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 26, 2012, 06:24:51 PM
It got better later on. And to be honest, my taste for slapstick kind of got killed by parody movies, so I'm all the more grateful for dialogue-driven humour.

I wouldn't it mind it be dialogue-driven if the actual dialogue was, you know, funny. That's really my main problem with it, more than the lack of slapstick. It just felt like really boring and safe humor, from what I remember.

...of course, again, all I have to go off of are the first 10 episodes or so, and those just did nothing for me. I guess I'll have to see if I like any of the later Season 1 stuff better.

GaryPotter

I'm of the opinion that the original Flintstones should not have been kept alive as long as it was. The original show was great, although it became less good with the introduction of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm. However, all the crappy spin-offs and specials they made throughout the 70s, 80s, and early 90s just ruined what was otherwise a decent cast of characters.

Avaitor

You all probably know that I'm the biggest Flintstones fan on here, but yeah, the last season or two became too silly and family-oriented for its own good, and most of the spin-offs and specials aren't worth remembering or discovering.

New blog!

GaryPotter

The final season wasn't horrible. Gazoo was stupid, but it had it's moments.

The specials, on the other hand, were terrible in every single way. The character designs were awful, the animations were full of errors and abuse of stock footage, and the stories are just Fred making an ass of himself and learning a lesson at the end. Also, why did Hanna-Barbera decide to make Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm adolescents occasionally?

But the worst by far were those two movies they made in 1993 where the kids get married and Pebbles has twins. They were, by far, the lowest point of the franchise for me.

Avaitor

You know, while watching some of season 1 again, I think like how Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man run has already dated itself more than Stan Lee's original Spidey stories, the pre-cancellation run of Family Guy has failed the test of time compared to the original Flintstones.

Some of the dialogue on the show can be corny, yes, and the lack of continuity is grating, but there really are some great character bits and some jokes just never get old. Meanwhile, when I watch the original Family Guy episodes, it just feels like what it always was- just a cheaper, slightly more crass Simpsons substitute that thinks it's more clever than it actually is. Even now with FG's over reliance on cutaways and casual talk has more of an identity than it used to.

Something random I just noticed.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on April 26, 2012, 06:02:58 PM
There are only two shows in the history of CN (not counting CN Real crap that was cancelled within days of debut) that haven't gotten to, at least, a second season: Sym-Bionic Titan, and Robotomy.

Unless I'm missing something, TLTS is giant-robot free, so they should be in the clear.
UGH! Painful fact of the week. UGH!
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody