What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 19, 2016, 11:51:51 PM
I finally got around to watching Dredd. I really liked it. It felt like an 80s action movie with modern production values.
I hope Netflix gives us a sequel.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I did it. I somehow ended up watching Suicide Squad.

Ummm....on a positive note, it's the best DC movie of the year!

....Of course, considering that those two other DC films were BVS and TKJ, that's actually incredibly sad....

Well, Will Smith and Margot Robbie were surprisingly good in their respective roles, as was Viola Davis. But Jared Leto's Joker was awful, IMO, and most of the other performances were forgettable. But good god that editing....some of the worst that I've ever seen from a big-budget production. I can't believe that this is from the same David Ayres who made Training Day. This film is one big heaping mess.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, I also saw it. The editing is a huge mess, the first 40 minutes are literally introductions (sometimes multiple introductions for the same character), and as a result, the pacing and tone are all over the place. The Joker subplot was completely pointless to the plot and should have been completely cut out. Not to mention, his relationship with Harley is WAY off. I don't think anyone actually watched Mad Love. Other than that, there were good points to the film, like Diablo, Harley, and Deadshot/Flag's chemistry.

I think there's a solid B movie in here, but it desperately needs a better, consistent cut.

On the other hand, even like this, it's better than Zack Snyder's superhero efforts so far.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

On a side note, I find it absolutely hilarious that these villains are unintentionally better heroes than Batman and Superman in this Universe. Even combined they somehow have less civilian casualties than those two, and unlike those two, they are actually supposed to kill people for a living.

Seriously, WTF, DC?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 19, 2016, 09:43:17 AM
On a side note, I find it absolutely hilarious that these villains are unintentionally better heroes than Batman and Superman in this Universe. Even combined they somehow have less civilian casualties than those two, and unlike those two, they are actually supposed to kill people for a living.

Seriously, WTF, DC?
Ayers clearly knows more about superheroes than Snyder does.

I hope this Frankenstein cut is obliterated in the future. I want to see what Ayers original cut looked like before WB sliced it apart.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That's what bums me out the most. Others have said it, but this movie feels like three or four different movies in one. And the thing is, I know first hand that David Ayres can direct legitimately good films, so I don't believe this mess of editing and tonal dissonance were his fault. This movie absolutely reeks of too much studio meddling. And I say this because in this clusterfuck, there were some scenes which I legitimately liked but also felt like they were happening woefully out of their intended context. Those scenes probably exist somewhere stored on some hard drive in some editing room. I'm curious to see THAT cut of the film, personally.

Spark Of Spirit

There were three different cuts of the final film. The first one was the original cut, the second was the "lighter" cut to match the tone of the later trailers, and the third was a Frankenstein cut of the first two. What ended up in theaters was the third because WB had no faith in the director and were gun-shy about the "dark" tone people didn't like from the first two movies. Though if you asked me, the serious parts in this film were actually pretty good and well beyond those in the other two. I don't think people would have complained.

Now that it's well known that everyone's #1 issue is the horrendous editing, I do hope WB is smart and simply puts out the original cut when it's released for DVD. Both Man of Steel and BvS got one, so I'm hoping this does as well. It won't make it a masterpiece or anything, but it will improve its greatest flaw tremendously simply by being consistent.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got back from watching Kubo and the Two Strings. I love all of Laika's works (well, Box Trolls had issues, but was still a thoroughly enjoyable experience), and I don't say it lightly when I claim that this is their best work to date, IMO. I really hope that it manages to do somewhat decently at the box office. Laika films tend to make minimal money compared to other big-budget animated productions, and they really deserve so much more support than their works typically receive.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm planning to see it tomorrow. I've been excited for it ever since the first trailers, and hearing claims that it's Laika's best film to date is really energizing.

Avaitor

I need to go to the movies again. The last time I went to the theater was for a dollar theater showing of Zootopia (my third time seeing it), and the last new movie I saw was The Lobster.

So I'm thinking of checking if Ghostbusters, Finding Dory, or Civil War are at the dollar theater. I have marginal interest in seeing the first 2, and some interest in rewatching the latter. I'm also considering waiting for a cheaper movie day to see Pete's Dragon, but I'd be more than willing to spend full price for Kubo and the Two Strings. Laika's track record is pretty strong thus far.

Also, I recently watched The Assassin. If you like nice, clean, easy to follow plots, this isn't for you. But I fucking loved it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Nope, it's a Taiwanese marital arts flick from last year.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched Hell or High Water. Personally, this is my favorite movie of the year so far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, overall it was a pretty disappointing summer movie season in terms of blockbusters. Civil War was really good. Kubo and the Two Strings was excellent. X-Men: Apocalypse and Suicide Squad were both messes, even though I did enjoy the former for what it was (still a disappointment, though, after the really strong DOFP). Jason Bourne was mediocre. Sausage Party is just so not my cup of tea. Star Trek Beyond did absolutely nothing for me. And I skipped Ghostbusters. I don't really have any interest in watching that one. The rest of the big-budget stuff just looked awful, and viewer reception seems to support that.

On the flip side, some of the lower-end films were surprisingly great. I really liked The Conjuring 2; one of the rare horror sequels that's legitimately good, IMO, though not as good as the first. And Hell or High Water was a big surprise, and my favorite film of the year so far. I really wanted to see Sing Street, but couldn't find it playing anywhere near me. And I feel bad about missing The Lobster, but I'll be sure to catch it on DVD at some point in time.

Overall, it was a pretty weak summer, though, all things considered.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the best thing I saw this summer was Stranger Things. Civil War was great, but it was the only great thing I saw in the theaters.