Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.

Big Star. If they get in and cut Chris Bell out, then the place is a total farce.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Nirvana's going to get in before a lot of people. As soon as they're eligible, you know they'll be in.

That's just a sad, inevitable truth.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Mk III of Purple is sooo much better than Mk II. Even Mk IV has some really cool stuff.

It's a shame that Ritchie doesn't agree, though. But I will give him credit in that the first 3 Rainbow albums are perfect.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 06:45:49 PM
This is the album they should have hit it big with.

If only it had a Stevie Wonder cover.
They should have hit it with Freaky Styley IMO. But yeah, Uplift Mofo is their best.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2012, 07:11:49 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 06:45:49 PM
This is the album they should have hit it big with.

If only it had a Stevie Wonder cover.
They should have hit it with Freaky Styley IMO. But yeah, Uplift Mofo is their best.
UMPP has pretty much everything. Rock n roll, funk, punk, hard rock, and even a touch of psychedelia. While FS is a better funk album, and BSSM is better on a songwriting basis, I just think it has the best representation of what the band has to offer.

It kills me that they hit it big with Mother's Milk when this was just so much better in every way. And on top of it, it's the only album with the original line up.

Avaitor

You know what, back to my earlier post, I think that if Ritchie didn't want to go commercial, Rainbow might have just been one of the greatest bands of all time, period. His guitar playing was leaps and bounds beyond his Deep Purple work. Ronnie's vocals, oh man, he could belt it out. Do you need me to get into detail on just how? Then there's Cozy Powell's drum work, which was just orgasmic. And the bass and keyboard work was also out of sight.

If Ronnie stuck around for a little while longer, who knows what could've happened. But we wouldn't have got Heaven and Hell, so I guess it was for the best.

And back to Mk III of Purple, just listen to this. There was nothing like this voice.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 07:22:41 PM
UMPP has pretty much everything. Rock n roll, funk, punk, hard rock, and even a touch of psychedelia. While FS is a better funk album, and BSSM is better on a songwriting basis, I just think it has the best representation of what the band has to offer.

It kills me that they hit it big with Mother's Milk when this was just so much better in every way. And on top of it, it's the only album with the original line up.
Mother's Milk is fine, but it's easily the weakest of their good albums (everything from RHCP-OHM). As a side note, Fire from MM actually features the original line-up.

Can't believe tracks like Funky Crime and Backwoods weren't huge hits.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2012, 07:27:56 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 07:22:41 PM

Mother's Milk is fine, but it's easily the weakest of their good albums (everything from RHCP-OHM). As a side note, Fire from MM actually features the original line-up.
Mother's Milk is okay, it's just that it felt like a very generic hard rock album from an era where there were a ton of them.

Honestly, I think Californication is probably better than the debut or MM- but FS, UMPP, and BSSM are easily the best ones. Everything since Californication sounds exactly like that album, so it's hard to judge, though I heard SA is decent.

QuoteCan't believe tracks like Funky Crime and Backwoods weren't huge hits.
Or Fight Like A Brave, or Me & My Friends, or Behind The Sun, or Walkin' On Down The Road... A lot of potential hits there. The rest probably wouldn't be hits, but they're all really good and interesting pieces.

Foggle

Californication is pretty decent (Purple Stain and Right On Time are awesome), but that was really where they started going downhill. I loathe By The Way and kinda' like some parts of Stadium and IWY, but they were never the same after BSSM. However, One Hot Minute, while different, is really underrated; Walkabout and Transcending are the best songs RHCP ever recorded, IMO.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
Mother's Milk is okay, it's just that it felt like a very generic hard rock album from an era where there were a ton of them.
I do agree with you here, but I really love Subway To Venus, Taste The Pain, and Knock Me Down.

QuoteHonestly, I think Californication is probably better than the debut or MM- but FS, UMPP, and BSSM are easily the best ones.
Eh, maybe, but none of its tracks even come close to touching Buckle Down or Taste The Pain, I'd say.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm kind of surprised they hate OHM so much, it really does feel like a transition between BSSM and Californication. Though I don't think it's great, it's an average album in all honestly, I don't think it's their worst. Not worth gutting it out of their greatest hits, anyway.

I think the singles on Californication are some of their best as well as a few of their album tracks, but yeah some of MM is particularly great. Johnny Kick A Hole In The Sky, Good Time Boys, and Subway To Venus being my favorites. I'd probably put Californication higher simply because I find the album tracks (other than Get On Top which doesn't really belong on the album) better than the filler on MM. But the highs are pretty comparable. I guess it just depends on your tastes.

I liked the singles on By The Way, but the album was a carbon copy of Californication. There were a few interesting songs, but as a whole it felt like the same album again. And now without Frusciante I'm simply not interested anymore. Without that line up, there's just no chance of them being anywhere near as good again.

Foggle

Yeah, as a whole OHM is pretty average, but Aeroplane, Deep Kick, Coffee Shop, Walkabout, Transcending, and a few others are simply amazing.

I wouldn't really call By The Way a carbon copy of Californication. BTW is basically a soft rock album, while Cali has a lot more style to it. I fucking love On Mercury, though.

Stadium Arcadium is a good album, but not a good double album. IMO, it would have been great if this was the track list:

Rolling Sly Stone (this was cut from SA before release; not sure why, it's really good)
Dani California
Snow (Hey Oh)
Charlie
Hump De Bump
Strip My Mind
Wet Sand
Tell Me Baby
21st Century
Make You Feel Better
Animal Bar
So Much I
Storm In A Teacup
Turn It Again

The rest is some of the most boring filler they've ever produced.

Foggle

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2012, 07:58:41 PM
Yeah, as a whole OHM is pretty average, but Aeroplane, Deep Kick, Coffee Shop, Walkabout, Transcending, and a few others are simply amazing.
Actually, I just listened to the whole thing again, and I think OHM might honestly be one of their best albums. The only song I don't like is Pea. Other amazing ones besides the five aforementioned are My Friends, One Big Mob (though a bit overlong), Falling Into Grace, and Shallow Be Thy Game. The only tracks I find to be average are Warped, Tearjerker, and One Hot Minute.

I really can't see why RHCP hate this record, unless they just have a personal vendetta against Dave Navarro or something. It's awesome.

Nel_Annette

...Californication is one of my favorite albums... ever. Almost every song on there is catchy as hell to me. But I suppose a lot of that can be attributed to the bass playing, which is almost always top notch. I like Stadium Arcadium, but I agree that you could make a better album by taking all the good songs on it and putting that on a single disc, rather than keep all the filler. I'm With You is... eh. I really like four of the songs on it, but at this point, Rain Dance Maggie has been overplayed to shit on the radio and the rest of the songs just feel like they were trying to fill up a whole album to me.

Sadly, i don't own anything else by the band, so I can't really comment much.

Foggle

Quote from: Nel on May 12, 2012, 03:45:50 PM
...Californication is one of my favorite albums... ever. Almost every song on there is catchy as hell to me. But I suppose a lot of that can be attributed to the bass playing, which is almost always top notch. I like Stadium Arcadium, but I agree that you could make a better album by taking all the good songs on it and putting that on a single disc, rather than keep all the filler. I'm With You is... eh. I really like four of the songs on it, but at this point, Rain Dance Maggie has been overplayed to shit on the radio and the rest of the songs just feel like they were trying to fill up a whole album to me.
Californication is a great album, I'm just hard on it because funk is my favorite genre and it isn't very funky compared to their previous releases.  I've only listened to I'm With You once, thought it was okay. Didn't really make an impression on me. Will need to go through it again eventually...

Quote from: Nel on May 12, 2012, 03:45:50 PM
Sadly, i don't own anything else by the band, so I can't really comment much.
You should pick up BSSM and UMPP sometime. Most people agree that those are among their best. How do you feel about BTW?