Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, didn't they name the album that since their manager was a big Beatles fan?

I also know that Tim was going to be named Let It Bleed, but that changed. It would have been a nice follow-up.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I don't know why Born Again has become known as a misunderstood gem over the past handful of years when it's so fucking awful. Gillan does not mesh with Sabbath's sound and sorry guys, but it does sound like Iommi and crew are playing it from home here.

When it comes to underappreciated Sabbath albums, give me Dehumanizer and the Tony Martin stuff any day.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Foggle on November 11, 2011, 11:26:28 PM
- Funk and jazz are better than rock and hip hop.
- Dubstep and pop-punk are the worst genres of all time outside of crunkcore (but everyone with an IQ above 70 hates that last one).
- Glee is an affront to the concept of music in general and should be cancelled post-haste.
These, plus:
-Dylan is a poser and has a terrible singing voice.
-Lennon is overrated. McCartney, Harrison and producer George Martin are the main reason the Beatles were so good.
-I like cheerful, happy pop songs.
-The sixties were about pop and jazz, not rock.
-Actually, I'm no longer interested in rock all that much anyway.

QuoteThe Monkees were actually a really good band when they were allowed to be a band. Seriously.
The sad thing is despite all being accomplished musicians, they weren't even allowed to play on most of their early songs.

Avaitor

The best band of the 60's were the Mothers of Invention.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Graywulf on January 22, 2013, 02:02:04 PM
- Dubstep and pop-punk are the worst genres of all time outside of crunkcore (but everyone with an IQ above 70 hates that last one).
- Glee is an affront to the concept of music in general and should be cancelled post-haste.
These, plus:
ohmygawd I love you. :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

That said, I would probably reword my post to be a bit less... abrasive nowadays. Also, to clarify, I still love both rock and hip hop, I just think funk and jazz are better. ;)

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Foggle on January 22, 2013, 02:27:03 PM
Quote from: Graywulf on January 22, 2013, 02:02:04 PM
These, plus:
ohmygawd I love you. :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

That said, I would probably reword my post to be a bit less... abrasive nowadays. Also, to clarify, I still love both rock and hip hop, I just think funk and jazz are better. ;)

I still like rock, just not as much as I used too.

Another one:
I consider the Beatles pop, not rock.

Avaitor

While I'm at it, I'd say the best band of the 70's were Mahavishnu Orchestra.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Hey Foggle, could you send me some funk recommendations?

Foggle

Okay! I assume you already know all about the legends like Parliament, James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, and the like, so we'll go a bit more obscure. I'm mostly going to recommend groups that combine funk with other genres of music, since that's what I mostly listen to. However, if you're just looking for straight up funk, check your private messages. ;)

You've probably heard of them, but one of the best current funk/jazz fusion groups is Galactic. Their earlier work and live albums are mostly instrumental (sometimes with great old-school vocals), and their newer stuff is more hip hop-based. However, they still bring the groove throughout their entire discography! Church, Cineramascope, Witch Doctor, and Doublewide are essential listening for all music fans.

Alcohol Jazz is an excellent funk/jazz group from Spain. They're still releasing albums, I think, but I haven't heard anything newer than their third release, which I'm most partial to. Everything they've done is great, though! Be sure to check out Dha Gue Dhi Nah, Psicoactiva TV, and Tu Si Que Molas.

A Certain Ratio is a great post-punk group, and they get extremely funky on a lot of their tracks. Some albums aren't so good, but overall their sound is groovy as hell (and very 80's). Check out Down Down Down, Mickey Way, Do Du Beep, and Touch.

Fun Lovin' Criminals is one of the greatest bands of all time IMO, and their early stuff (everything through Loco) is highly funk-based, usually combined with rap, blues, lounge, jazz, and rock. Some of my favorite songs ever include The Grave And The Constant, All For Self, Swashbucklin' In Brooklyn, King Of New York, and Bump. Sadly, the music video version of Bump isn't nearly as good as the album version, but the former is all you can find on YouTube!

I'm running low on time sadly, but here are some other recommendations for you!
Raise The Roof! (Funk)
The Transatlantics (Funk)
Smoove & Turrell (Funk/R&B) - Also check out Smoove's solo release, Dead Men's Shirts, which is very funky!
Mandrill (Funk/R&B)
Supergroove (Funk/Rock) - Only Traction and its various b-sides are good, though. (But they're great!)
Fdel (Funk) - Look for the album Audiofdelity. Great DJ, don't think he's released any other mixes though.
Paradise Lunch (Funk/Jazz) - They did the opening for Baccano! :lol: The one album I've heard by them is awesome.
G. Love [with or without Special Sauce] (Blues/Funk/Rap/Rock) - Only funky maybe half the time, but be sure to check some of his stuff out.
Infectious Grooves (Funk/Metal)
O'Funk'Illo (Funk/Metal/Rap)

The Shadow Gentleman

Thanks! I'm not as incredibly familier with funk is general, so I'll have to check out some more stuff by the legends you mentioned (I already love James Brown).

Foggle

Quote from: Graywulf on January 22, 2013, 04:06:25 PM
Thanks! I'm not as incredibly familier with funk is general, so I'll have to check out some more stuff by the legends you mentioned (I already love James Brown).
Pick up the album Mothership Connection by Parliament! Trust me on this. ;)

Avaitor

It's pretty cliche, but my favorite funk album is probably Maggot Brain.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I prefer 50s rock to 60s rock (rockabilly especially), and I find big band swing the single most underrated musical genre.

Instrumental music is overlooked for no reason

Brian Wilson is the best songwriter of the entire 1960s decade. And I'm not just referring to Pet Sounds.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 22, 2013, 06:33:39 PM
Brian Wilson is the best songwriter of the entire 1960s decade. And I'm not just referring to Pet Sounds.
I dunno man, I love Wilson too, but it's really hard to discredit Frank, and all of the quality work he put out in the 60's.

He was on a whole other level from the rest of the crowd.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 22, 2013, 07:51:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 22, 2013, 06:33:39 PM
I dunno man, I love Wilson too, but it's really hard to discredit Frank, and all of the quality work he put out in the 60's.

He was on a whole other level from the rest of the crowd.
I'm not discrediting him, I just feel that Brian Wilson is basically the epitome of what pop music was originally meant to be. So much so that people either underrate him (and dismiss his work because of Mike Love's mouth) or have only heard Surfin' Safari and think that's all he's done for his entire career.

A song like In My Room is really underrated for what it did for the industry when it came out. Reflecting on where it is now from then is almost embarrassing, actually.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton