Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

QuoteBrian Wilson is the best songwriter of the entire 1960s decade. And I'm not just referring to Pet Sounds.

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Guys, I'm not saying he was the only good songwriter of the 60s, just that I consider him the best. (Also, Brian is rarely the singer, he's the guy who wrote the songs)

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 22, 2013, 08:08:45 PM
QuoteBrian Wilson is the best songwriter of the entire 1960s decade. And I'm not just referring to Pet Sounds.

Cheap Thrills is a fantastic album, I agree.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 22, 2013, 08:15:41 PM
Guys, I'm not saying he was the only good songwriter of the 60s, just that I consider him the best.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 22, 2013, 06:33:39 PMI find big band swing the single most underrated musical genre.

Seconded

I can't make an educated statement on this, as I haven't listened to nearly as much music as you guys, so I'm just going to point at my avatar and run.

Although I do agree that Wilson is an amazing song writer.

Spark Of Spirit

Fun fact: Pet Sounds is McCartney's favorite album.  ;)

But yeah, I used to like Lennon more but as I've gotten older McCartney's stuff has become more preferable to me. His solo material is better, too.

Nel_Annette

I like jazz and funk, but I prefer rock overall.

Agreed about McCartney and Harrison being the true soul of The Beatles. I love their solo material. Lennon's... not so much. Especially the albums that feature (shudder) Yoko.

Never cared much for 50s rock and roll or the big band stuff.

Also... I despise ska music. More than country or crunkcore or whatever. I don't know why, I just... loathe ska.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 22, 2013, 10:13:19 PMAlso... I despise ska music. More than country or crunkcore or whatever. I don't know why, I just... loathe ska.
Really? Is it because of how wacky it can get?

I can understand not liking it, though. It's very much an acquired taste, especially since most ska bands have really awful lyrics (usually an attempt to be "goofy" or "punk") or result in overusing the quiet/loud dynamic that was so adamant in the 90s.

Nel_Annette

The wackiness is part of it, and I usually find singers in the genre to have insanely obnoxious voices. I kind of also associate it with all the douches I knew in middle school and high school who would listen almost exclusively to it.

Avaitor

Let's be real, the best Beatle was Harrison.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 22, 2013, 11:10:51 PM
The wackiness is part of it, and I usually find singers in the genre to have insanely obnoxious voices. I kind of also associate it with all the douches I knew in middle school and high school who would listen almost exclusively to it.
Oh yeah "frat ska", I know what you mean.

Have you ever heard the album Truth & Soul by Fishbone? It's not really a ska album (it has some ska songs on it), but it's mainly a rock and funk album and that might be more up your alley. Ska is really good when it isn't novelty music.

Lord Dalek

Spark Of Spirit