Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I get so much play off of that album.

The entirety of The Cult's 80's stuff is pretty strong, actually.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on January 24, 2013, 10:33:00 PM"She Sells Sanctuary" is the best song of the 80's.

I sure hope this isn't a minority opinion, though.
I just (re-)did my Top 300 Singles of the 80's list (last month). "Rain" made it, "Sanctuary" didn't:

http://mubi.com/lists/my-top-300-greatest-singles-of-the-1980s-full-list

Quote from: Graywulf on January 22, 2013, 02:02:04 PM-Dylan is a poser and has a terrible singing voice.
I can't stand over 90% of BD's music, so I'm inclined to agree.

Quote from: Graywulf on January 22, 2013, 02:02:04 PM--Lennon is overrated.
I'd agree if it weren't for "Instant Karma!" and "Whatever Gets You thru the Night." (Oh yeah, and I like "Happy XMas.")
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

Do you remember the "Shallow Boy" chick from Boy Meets World?

Tori Amos is the real-life version of her.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Karamazova

I absolutely loathe Amanda Palmer, though a bunch of people I know worship her.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 27, 2013, 12:41:04 PM

Wasn't she based on Fiona Apple, Alanis Morrisette and most of the angry girl movement?

It's actually funny how well they nailed the trend with that episode.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Too Tough To Die is End Of The Century done right.

It's also the best album they ever made and exactly what they had been trying to do sonically since their first album.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

No-Personality

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2013, 02:51:27 PM

Wasn't she based on Fiona Apple, Alanis Morrisette and most of the angry girl movement?
Do you really have that narrow a view on women in music?

Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, and Alanis Morissette have made incredible music. It can't be written off with 1 word.
and I love it.

Avaitor

I don't think Spark was attacking the female singer-songwriter craze with his post, and neither was I. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's a fan of some of Alanis and Fiona's stuff, and I appreciate all three myself.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: No-Personality on January 27, 2013, 07:53:27 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 27, 2013, 02:51:27 PM

Do you really have that narrow a view on women in music?

Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, and Alanis Morissette have made incredible music. It can't be written off with 1 word.
Uh, that was the era of rock music. I spoke nothing of the quality of the music.

No-Personality

You belittled the music by putting it in the same narrow box that people who should have taken it more seriously did, making themselves look like assholes. You... want to associate yourself with that kind of brainless sexism because other people will accept it as a familiar shorthand?

I'll say I'm sorry if I should but I really, really can't stand this kind of thing. It boils my blood when someone is a part of a discussion where praise is thrown out to artists who are no less debatable than Apple, Amos, and Morissette and yet these women's music is so quickly dismissed.

Oh, and my comment wasn't only directed at you.
and I love it.

Spark Of Spirit

It was the easiest way to describe an era in music when women wrote aggressive music and people parodied them in an archetype. I just used three quick names that came to mind to state an example It's not quite a Greaser and Soc relationship because I was just trying to make a quick distinction. If people want to know the truth, the music is right their to listen to, they can make their own distinction.

You don't have to apologize, we're just arguing semantics.  ;)

But if I offended you, I'm sorry. Anyway, Head Over Feet is one of my favorite songs from the era.

Commode

I always found it funny that the "angry women of rock" title was focused on artists like those, especially in an era that also had the likes of Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney, The Distillers, and Tilt(some of my favorites).  All of them were much more aggresive and/or abrasive than anything those others put out.  I mean, Alanis has "You Oughta Know", which is an aggresive song in it's own right, but her other well-known songs are fairly upbeat.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

No-Personality

Quote from: Comeau on February 01, 2013, 12:44:59 PMI always found it funny that the "angry women of rock" title was focused on artists like those, especially in an era that also had the likes of Bikini Kill, Sleater-Kinney, The Distillers, and Tilt(some of my favorites).  All of them were much more aggresive and/or abrasive than anything those others put out.  I mean, Alanis has "You Oughta Know", which is an aggresive song in it's own right, but her other well-known songs are fairly upbeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgi7P97lu0

;D
and I love it.

Avaitor

Adele is the British Taylor Swift

-They both dedicate entire albums to bitching about their exes...
-...aside from the token "maybe I'm the bad guy after all" track on each album, ("Somebody Like You", "Back to December")
-This trend of songwriting really only changes for movie soundtracks ("skyfall", "Safe and Sound")
-They both even sound the same in interviews.

Admittedly, this is a stupid post. But yeah, I don't get the appeal of Adele, but at least she doesn't bring womenkind back 50+ years like T Swift does.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Avaitor on February 14, 2013, 11:49:56 PM
Adele is the British Taylor Swift

-They both dedicate entire albums to bitching about their exes...
-...aside from the token "maybe I'm the bad guy after all" track on each album, ("Somebody Like You", "Back to December")
-This trend of songwriting really only changes for movie soundtracks ("skyfall", "Safe and Sound")
-They both even sound the same in interviews.

Admittedly, this is a stupid post. But yeah, I don't get the appeal of Adele, but at least she doesn't bring womenkind back 50+ years like T Swift does.
Wow, I never thought about that. Now that I think about it, your right. Now I've finally pinpointed the reason I don't like Adele.