Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on February 14, 2013, 11:49:56 PM
Adele is the British Taylor Swift

-They both dedicate entire albums to bitching about their exes...
-...aside from the token "maybe I'm the bad guy after all" track on each album, ("Somebody Like You", "Back to December")
-This trend of songwriting really only changes for movie soundtracks ("skyfall", "Safe and Sound")
-They both even sound the same in interviews.

Admittedly, this is a stupid post. But yeah, I don't get the appeal of Adele, but at least she doesn't bring womenkind back 50+ years like T Swift does.
Yeah, it's not a formula I care much for either.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Man, I think I'm the only person alive who doesn't like TMBG.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

No-Personality

Does that mean you don't love "Istanbul" and "Particle Man"?

If you mean: "I think I'm the only person alive who doesn't like" those songs... Yes. Yes you are.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I like the music videos from Tiny Toons. The songs themselves are meh.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I don't know if I've ever told you guys this, but I'm not really that big of a Judas Priest fan. Of the three godfathers of metal, I'd still consider their work essential, but unlike Sabbath and Maiden, who have tons of albums I'd recommend, there's only a couple of Priest albums I'd namedrop. While I like their best stuff enough to consider myself a fan, I'm not in love with them, and here's why:

-Weak production values on their 70's albums. Have you listened to their first few albums recently? They sound so tame and reserved, even compared to some of the other bands from that era, such as Motorhead, Rainbow, Scorpions, and yes, even Sabbath. Rocka Rolla's lame blues-influenced sound makes it almost unlistenable, and the production on it doesn't do it any favors. I do think they came closer to matching their live sound by Killing Machine, but it's still hard to listen to those first few LPs.
-Weak songwriting in the 80's. That said, their 70's material is still among my favorite based primarily on how well most of their songs were written and performed live. Pretty much any live take on "Victim of Changes" is worth listening to, based on Glen and KK's chemistry throughout.

But have you listened to British Steel lately? It's 2/3 lame anthems, with few highlights about. This is the direction tat the band went through during the rest of the decade, with lowest common denominator lyrics, safe jams and weak solos being their main trend during most of their albums. Even the band's attempts at "edging" back up, like Defenders of the Faith, came out as uninspired more than anything.
-Rob. Sacrilege, I know, but I'm not a huge fan of Halford, at least not anymore. He's got the range, but not much of a singing voice, especially now, when it seems like all he does is hum and screech. He can still outperform most anyone with that scream, but I wouldn't dare put him above Dickinson, Dio, Barlow, Gillian, Coverdale, Hughes, Akerfeldt, etc, since all of these guys have been able to project their voice amongst the melody of their performers unlike Halford.

Like I said, I really like what I do like of Priest (Unleashed in the East and Painkiller above all else), but I'm just not that big of a fan.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I actually am surprised, but I do agree. I don't want to say I find JP very 'generic' but... that's... probably the best description of them there is. Their material rarely sticks with me.

Nel_Annette

Just listened to the iTunes samples of Geoff Tate's new Queensryche album.

Holy fuck. Just holy fuck. What did he do to my precious "I Don't Believe In Love"?  :sad:

As for the new songs, they seem to have the same problem I had with DTC: some of the actual music sounds promising, but Tate's warbling muppet voice takes a shitparade all over it.

I'm really hoping the other guys and Todd La Torre put out a great one this summer. I feel so bad for them with Tate being so bitter about everything that he's going to childish lengths to get in the way, like releasing this steaming piece of shit just to steal attention from them.

Avaitor

Yeah, I saw some footage of his new band perform, and ruin "Eyes of a Stranger". It doesn't sound like Geoff's winning the battle OR the war.

I am curious to see how he got KK Downing on the album, though.

New blog!

No-Personality

Quote from: Avaitor on March 14, 2013, 10:40:11 AMYeah, I saw some footage of his new band perform, and rape "Eyes of a Stranger".

;D   ;D   ;D
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I'm sure that'd be more pleasant than hear Geoff try to do Mindcrime-era stuff at this point.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Hopefully Tate's Queensryche will realize he's the weak link, and kick him out to continue as a second Queensryche, leaving Geoff to begin a third Queensryche so that the cycle can begin anew.

Commode

I always had an inkling that you weren't a Priest fan, you always presented indifference whenever they were mentioned.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I am a fan, but I can count the albums that I'd like to own on one hand. Maybe add another finger to that if I'm being generous.

New blog!

Avaitor

I think ya'll know my feelings on Metallica, but I feel like I have less use for them every single day. Whenever I try to listen to them again, I feel nothing but rage. And not the good kind of rage certain types of metal should give you.

Rage as in, why these guys? Why are these lame, bloated sellouts still such a big deal? Why do people still listen to their earlier stuff, when so many other bands were doing it better even then? Why are there stans for this band today? Why does a guitarist as bland as Kirk Hammett get praised for having no distinct tone? Why have they sold so many copies of their shitty albums?

Metallica's continued admiration is one of the biggest anomalies in music.

New blog!