Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Music

Started by Avaitor, November 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

As much as I love Spock's Beard, the album Snow is just a rip-off of the movie Powder. And even then, only a few songs on the album are good. And you can tell they were trying to go for a The Wall/The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway concept album thing, but it just doesn't work for me.

Avaitor

y'all need to be more open to metal. Just saying.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Well, I like Diablo Swing Orchestra, if that counts. Plus all kinds of funk metal.

Avaitor

I'm just on a such a Ghost high right now, and I'm hoping to get more of you guys to listen to their stuff already. No luck.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

SSJ Jake

Been a while since I posted here and some of my tastes have changed a little. A lot of this will be mainly my opinion on Metal or Hard Rock, but without further or do:

-I consider Soundgarden to be a Metal band. Some Metalheads might say "no they're Grunge you fuckin poseur" and yes they definitely boarder on being Metal and Grunge, but listening to their music there's a lot of old school Black Sabbath influences and overall heavy feel that makes me say they're Metal. Even Ecyclopaedia Metallum recognizes them albeit not without some controversy (why them and not early influences like Led Zeppelin many have wondered). If they're to be counted as a Metal band they're the first one I ever got into.
-King Diamond's Abigail is the greatest album ever. While not an entirely unpopular opinion it seems like most Metal fans wouldn't consider anything from King Diamond or Mercyful Fate as their number 1 or even in their top 5.
-KISS sucks. I'll take Thin Lizzy or even AC/DC as my Hard Rock fix over them any day.
-Also I agree with Matt Pike on Aerosmith.
-Master of Puppets is overrated as Hel. Do I really need to explain why?
-Volbeat is a good band. I avoided listening to them for a while but when I finally did, thanks to King doing vocals in one of their songs therefore catching my interest, I find that the cross between Metal and Rockabilly works for me. Reminds me of Danzig kind of.
-I like Pantera, but I don't have a raging hard on for them like many American Metalheads do. They're a good Gateway Band, just not great.
-Messhuggah is...meh. They're not a terrible I just can't get into them.
-Ozzy Osbourne, like Metallica, gets far more credit than he deserves. I like early Black Sabbath, though I prefer the Dio era, and his first two albums were good in my opinion, but he's not that great of a singer. Plus the media knows him more for biting heads off of small animals (which is pretty Metal, but still) and for having his own stupid reality show than for his music, yet he still gets touted as the "Father of Metal". Ugh.
-Devin Townsend looks more badass completely bald than with the skullet and goatee. Some how he manages to make himself look even crazier.

Also Ghost is one of the best recent Metal bands to come out, though I don't know if that counts as an "unpopular opinion".

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Avaitor

Well I agree completely with Ghost.

As for Pantera, their best album is easily Power Metal, which like the rest of their pre-Cowboys albums, they refuse to acknowledge. I also still have a soft spot for CBH, and a handful of songs from elsewhere, but as a whole, they don't do much for me anymore.

I can see why they're a big deal here, though. Pantera kind of were the first metal band to portray a sort of southern hospitality. Granted, there were plenty of death metal bands from Florida prior to their breakthrough, but Death, Morbid Angel and the like are universal. Pantera widely appeals to confederate flag-waving morons out there. But hey, Dime and the gang were at least more talented than Slipknot and their ilk.

New blog!

Commode

KISS does suck, but I don't think AC/DC are any better in that regard.  Maybe the fact that they aren't as fake and manufactured, but I am hard pressed to name an AC/DC song that I can actually stand to listen to these days.

And I agree about Volbeat, and have always agreed about Soundgarden.  Love that band.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Van Halen>Bon-era AC/DC>KISS>Brian-era AC/DC

In terms of the hard rock giants. Thin Lizzy and UFO would be above them all though.

New blog!

SSJ Jake

Where would you rank Guns n' Roses?

All admit AC/DC is very simple as far as Rock goes. I enjoy them mainly for the Bon Scott era (they probably should have just split up after he died like they considered doing) but, like Metallica and Ozzy, I think they get more credit then they deserve. Still I enjoy their earlier music, it's just simple fun songs about sex, Hell and Rock 'n' Roll for me. And I know KISS is that too, but I'll take Bon's vocals over anyone from KISS any day.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Avaitor

Below KISS. Aerosmith might make it between Van Halen and Bon Scott, but only if I'm being fair and only acknowledge the first 4 albums.

New blog!

No-Personality

Been preparing to do my Top 100 Singles of 2000-2009 list and so I cruised a few "best of" lists out there and... here are a few important conclusions I've come to:

1. The whole wide world has gone insane. Christina Aguilera's "Dirrty" is repellant. And always has been.

2. I can't stand Cee-Lo Green. Sure, if the production on a track of his is amazing, I'll have no choice but to credit it. However, if I never hear his voice again- I'll be happier.

3. I flat-out do not like Daft Punk. I think very highly of "Around the World" and always will. But I noticed a pattern of them trying to tap into some 70's funk-disco-AM radio jam sunny blissy sound-stuff with most of their singles... Isn't that what "Music Sounds Better with You" did perfectly way before "One More Time"?

Chemical Brothers > Daft Punk
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

I think Queen is one of the few bands where I don't like their group harmonies at all.

Van Halen? Yes please. AC/DC? I wish Brian would let them do it more. But with Queen, I can't stand it when everyone else tries to sing along.

New blog!

Avaitor

I've been talking to a friend, and we both have come to agreement that this is Sabbath's worst song that isn't on Born Again.

A mighty tough claim, but I stand by it.

New blog!

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on April 24, 2013, 02:46:16 PM
Well, I like Diablo Swing Orchestra, if that counts. Plus all kinds of funk metal.
Can you give me a few recommendations for funk metal? My ears have become thirsty for something different. =)
=============

Not a big fan of them, but I'll be going to a KISS concert next month. And this may sound really odd, but I'm doing this as research to find out if they really have something beyond being one of the most overly-hyped rock bands of our time - And live shows are the best way to measure the talent of a band. Don't get me wrong as I do plan to enjoy the show for what it is. I don't necessarily hate them, but their over-commercialized nature is what disgusts me.
  :bleh:

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Il on July 24, 2013, 04:23:45 PM
Can you give me a few recommendations for funk metal? My ears have become thirsty for something different. =)
Not much exists that I know of, but I'd recommend O'Funk'Illo, Infectious Grooves, and Mammal off the top of my head. There are a lot of bands where the tag funk metal could probably be considered appropriate, but I'm not sure if I'd consider them as such since I don't really know what differentiates metal from hard rock. Check Wikipedia for more possible recs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funk_metal