"Guardians of the Galaxy" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, August 06, 2014, 06:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

What a bunch of A-holes!

Gamora: "I'm a warrior, an assassin. I don't dance."
Star-Lord: "Really? Well, on my planet, we have a legend about people like you. It's called Footloose. And in it, a great hero, named Kevin Bacon, teaches an entire city full of people with sticks up their butts that, dancing, well, is the greatest thing there is."
Gamora: "Who put the sticks up their butts?"

Release Date: August 2nd, 2014
Studio: Disney (Marvel Studios)
Director: James Gunn
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (HDTV)
Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Seldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Lee Pace, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillen, Djimon Honsou, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close

Plot Summary: After discovering a mysterious orb in another part of the galaxy, Peter Quill from Earth, is now the main target of a manhunt led by a genocidal maniac Ronan The Accuser. Being hunted across the galaxy Quill gets lumped together with a group of misfits that need to learn how to get along before they can become the "Guardians of the Galaxy"

COMMENTS?

...its been too long hasn't it?

Avaitor

Unless Age of Ultron sucks somehow, it's safe to say that Phase 2>Phase 1.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on August 06, 2014, 07:06:45 PM
Unless Age of Ultron sucks somehow, it's safe to say that Phase 2>Phase 1.

I can agree with that, just so long as we don't count AOS as a thing.

It's funny, though, if you had asked me last year, I'd say that Phase 2 was a bit of a step down. It's funny how 2 excellent films just a few months apart from each other can do so much to change my mind so quickly.

Spark Of Spirit

AOS is not canon. I reject it.  >:(

Is Iron Man 2 phase 1 or 2?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote***** 4 (100%)
As it should be.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on August 06, 2014, 07:33:51 PM
Is Iron Man 2 phase 1 or 2?
Phase 1. It actually came out before Thor and Captain America.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I understand to an extent why people consider Iron Man 3 and The Dark World to be disappointments (even though there's no way that I'd consider them anything but upgrades to their most previous releases), but I'd take both over Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk any day, although I still like TIH for the most part. Meanwhile, The Winter Soldier and GOTG were just excellent.

But yeah, AOS doesn't count as anything.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Avaitor

I'm totally getting a Rocket Raccoon Funko Pop vinyl figure!

The best part about it is that I don't even have to pay for it! DMR has them up, as well as Starlord and Groot. I'm definitely considering the former, but Funko is apparently working on another kind of Groot figure that I'd gladly buy instead...

New blog!

talonmalon333

I thought some of the movies in Phase 1 felt a bit manufactured, like they were made kind of to just establish a character and have them set up for The Avengers. With the movies in Phase 2, though, the movies seem to have been given more time and care when they were being made. Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy have joined Iron Man, The Avengers, and Spider-Man 2 as my favorite Marvel superhero movies (yes, I'm still a huge fan of Spider-Man 2).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I disagree. The only phase 1 film that I felt was "manufactured" as an advertisement for The Avengers was IM2, which had way too many references shoehorned in for its own good. Other than that, Thor definitely had the most set-up for The Avengers, since it introduced Loki as the villain as well as the idea of other beings from other worlds, but even still, it worked as a solo film as well. As for the first IM, CA, and Hulk, each felt like they could work as stand-alone films with the exception of the ending to each which clearly referenced The Avengers.

Spark Of Spirit

If you know nothing about the whole thing, The First Avenger can even lead right into Winter Solider and you wouldn't even know the difference.

The Shadow Gentleman

Finally saw this with my brother today. We both loved it. Easily my favorite Marvel movie after the Captain America films.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This and both Captain America films are pretty much my favorite comic book movies, let alone being the best Marvel films. The first CA is like the Raiders of the Lost Ark of comic book movies (and an amazing tribute to the golden age of superheroes), the second one is like the James Bond of comic book movies, and Guardians is basically the Star Wars of comic book films, with a bit of Firefly throne in (which reminds me that I really want to re-watch Serenity).