"It Happened One Night" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, September 04, 2011, 09:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

"I never did like the idea of sitting on newspapers. I did it once, and all the headlines came off on my white pants. On the level! It actually happened. Nobody bought a paper that day. They just followed me around over town and read the news on the seat of my pants."

Release Date: Feburary 23, 1934
Studio: Columbia
Director: Frank Capra
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1
Starring: Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly

Plot Summary: Ellie Andrews has just tied the knot with society aviator King Westley when she is whisked away to her father's yacht and out of King's clutches. Ellie jumps ship and eventually winds up on a bus headed back to her husband. Reluctantly she must accept the help of out-of- work reporter Peter Warne. Actually, Warne doesn't give her any choice: either she sticks with him until he gets her back to her husband, or he'll blow the whistle on Ellie to her father. Either way, Peter gets what (he thinks!) he wants .... a really juicy newspaper story.

COMMENTS?

Watched this one yet again today. It's really a beautiful film that everyone should see for themselves. There isn't much else to say.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I should probably add more of a review into these talkbacks, shouldn't I? Especially for classics that you guys may not have seen before.

This is one of the first screwball comedies, a precursor for sitcoms in feature film format, and arguably one of the sharpest. The humor isn't as in your face as a lot of films from that era, but makes up for that in subtle wisecracks, brilliant character moments, and amazing chemistry between the two lead stars. A scene I always think of is when Peter shows Ellie how men undress. It may not seem like much, but I think it's a very clever way for him to make her feel uncomfortable when Peter wants her away for a little, and Gable's delivery throughout is just gold. He's relishing every moment before she walks out, and you can tell.

The story may seem a little trite, but that's because the film has been copied, ripped-off, and inspired from so many other movies, TV shows, and what have you since its release. There's an obvious spark between the two since the first time they meet, and the story develops with their yearning at the centerpiece throughout the entire thing. By the time we get to the end of the film, I feel like we fall in love with the two characters enough that we hope that they find their way and make up. And to not spoil the ending, I feel that it ends on just the right note for the movie.

This, to me, is one of the classics that truly defines being a classic and is essential viewing. I can't recommend it enough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

There have only been three movies to sweep all the major catagories at the Oscars: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Silence of the Lambs, and this.

Pretty amazing feat.