"The Godfather" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, March 16, 2012, 08:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

An offer you can't refuse.

Michael Corleone: "Well, when Johnny was first starting out, he was signed to a personal services contract with this big-band leader. And as his career got better and better, he wanted to get out of it. But the band leader wouldn't let him. Now, Johnny is my father's godson. So my father went to see this bandleader and offered him $10,000 to let Johnny go, but the bandleader said no. So the next day, my father went back, only this time with Luca Brasi. Within an hour, he had a signed release for a certified check of $1000."
Kay Adams: "How did he do that?"
Michael Corleone: "My father made him an offer he couldn't refuse."
Kay Adams: "What was that?"
Michael Corleone: "Luca Brasi held a gun to his head, and my father assured him that either his brains or his signature would be on the contract."
Kay Adams: ....
Michael Corleone: "... that's a true story."
Kay Adams: ....
Michael Corleone: "That's my family Kay, it's not me."

Release Date: March 24, 1972
Studio: Paramount
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Richard Castellano, Robert Duvall, Sterling Hayden, John Marley, Richard Conte, Diane Keaton

Plot Summary: The story begins as "Don" Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia "family", oversees his daughter's wedding. His beloved son Michael has just come home from the war, but does not intend to become part of his father's business. Through Michael's life the nature of the family business becomes clear. The business of the family is just like the head of the family, kind and benevolent to those who give respect, but given to ruthless violence whenever anything stands against the good of the family. Don Vito lives his life in the way of the old country, but times are changing and some don't want to follow the old ways and look out for community and "family". An up and coming rival of the Corleone family wants to start selling drugs in New York, and needs the Don's influence to further his plan. The clash of the Don's fading old world values and the new ways will demand a terrible price...

LD Talkback #168

As part of the celebration of Paramount Pictures' Centennial, I figured we should discuss a certain film that isn't getting a blu-ray release this year (...since its been available since 2008). =)