Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Surprise!

I felt like at least finishing this off.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

'oly 'ell!

I've been waiting for this one!

Spark Of Spirit

It's short because I really, really didn't want to dissect those episodes. There's little to say about them just that they're probably some of the worst cartoons ever made, and that's without hyperbole.

Don't watch this show. Ever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

The two-parter where Stimpy gets pregnant is quite possibly the most vile thing I've ever witnessed.

Spark Of Spirit

It's hard for me to pick favorites, but the one where Ren murders the horse in cold blood to no punchline as the episode ended (and Ren bit off a guys hand) left me staring blank at the screen.

There's nothing of merit in the show at all.

Foggle

Quote[Billy] West said in an interview that when Kricfalusi asked him to voice Stimpy, West replied by saying that he did not wish to voice Stimpy in this cartoon. West said in an interview that he believed that the cartoon lacked humor and that voicing Stimpy in it would damage his career.
:lol: Good shit!

Foggle

Quote from: IMDb[inside the homeless man's mouth, his uvula goes into Ren's ass five times. Ren wakes up, shocked, and jumps up and yells at Stimpy]
Ren Hoek: Hey! WHO'S THE PITCHER, AND WHO'S THE CATCHER?
Stimpson J. "Stimpy" Cat: You're the pitcher, I'm the catcher! You're the pitcher, I'm the catcher! See?
[Stimpy points to a blackboard hanging on the side of the mouth, which reads "You're The pitcher, I'm the catcher" over and over again]
All the proof you need that this show sucks.

Spark Of Spirit

Even Billy West could tell.

And that scene is exactly what I mean. It makes no sense in any context and is simply rushed out to be shocking. So, so, terrible.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Wait....so someone was actually payed to write that....I mean actually paid the same kind of money that actual talented writers earn for writing lines like that? Does that mean that some producer out there was actually willing to fork over valuable cash for that kind of writing?

Kiddington

This, ahem, "version" or Ren and Stimpy is proof positive that John K. no longer carries an ounce of credibility, and really is the reason why he needs to just shut the fuck up already. Whenever he bitches on his blog about how awful he thinks some modern-day cartoon is, all I can think to myself is "This coming from the guy who made APC. THE guy who made APC. You have absolutely NO room to talk, buddy."

Pretty much one of the absolute worst shows ever, animated or otherwise, without question. I haven't seen it in at least 7-8 years, and I still remember how truly vile and awful it was. Hard to get much worse than this, really.

Good review, by the way. I don't blame you for keeping it short; who would actually want to review this as in-depth as possible? I couldn't imagine.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  8)

As for John K, I think he lost pretty much all credibility with me after making this show. I just can't take the opinion of one who makes something this vile seriously. I respect the things he has done (up to a point, anyway), but APC is worse than ANY of the shows he rails on about in his blog and I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

Spark Of Spirit

I'd also like to add that Ren Seeks Help was one of the few times where I had to stop watching a television show and seriously question the emotional state behind the person who wrote it. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but it really does feel like a legitimate cry for help most of the episode.

I don't bat an eye at most offensive stuff on South Park or Family Guy (at most I just roll my eyes or whatever), but that episode... If you think stuff like that is entertaining enough to write it then I think you might at least want to see someone about it. That episode wasn't just bad, it was a bit scary.

Commode

And that's supposed to be the good episode of APC. :lol:
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Ren Seeks Help is actually sickening. There's a (relatively thick, honestly) line between dark comedy and fucking disturbing, and that episode crossed it big time.

Daxdiv

I always heard a rumor floating around that Ren Seeks Help had some events lifted from John K. childhood. If that's the case, I don't want to know what his childhood was like. This is one of the mystery's about the world that is best left unanswered.

I remember when I first watched the series back on Spike TV, I was wondering where the hell most of the jokes were going. Especially in the first episode, Ren Seeks Help and Fire Dogs 2. The only legit laugh I got from that was the end of the Ren Seeks Help where Mr. Horse just yells at Ren for no reason. I don't know why I laughed at that, maybe it's because I sympathized with him and listening to Ren's story would make me feel insane. Other than that, I never got around the seeing the episodes that never aired on TV. I think I'm better off living in my ignorant bubble for the time being.