Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I'm pretty sure paint-huffing middle-schoolers could come up with better stories than this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'll never look at Little Bill the same away again. Then again, I don't really look at Little Bill to begin with, so...

I get a headache just reading these things. I can't imagine what you're going through watching them all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on August 12, 2011, 10:31:22 PM
I'll never look at Little Bill the same away again. Then again, I don't really look at Little Bill to begin with, so...
Sounds like someone needs some private time.  :>

Foggle

Good article! I always wanted to know what was so bad about IS, but I could never bring myself to watch it. Sounds terrible. :immad:

Kiddington

I was more bored than appalled with the first episode. It was bad, yes, but leaning more towards the "bored to tears" aspect (as opposed to the "hentai/giant cartoon boobs in your face for 20 minutes" aspect).

I'm expecting much worse in Episode 2. Actually, make that dreading much worse.  :wth:

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Nice article, but you are kind of right when it comes to Charlotte.

I've been rewatching a lot of the show recently and the one thing about her that stuck out was that when she wasn't absorbed in her work, she was actually a pretty good mother to Angelica. The problem is that she's pretty much always working, so she doesn't really get to be much of a mother to Angelica. Anything she does to Angelica is purely an attempt to be a good mother toward her and when she overreacts it's because she just plain doesn't know better. Angelica is probably subconsciously thinking this behavior is totally normal and intentional, which is why she doesn't seem to realize a lot of her cruelty. That's my take, anyway.

Uh, anyway, I like your picks.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

My favorite moment from Pre-Hibernation Week.  :happytime:

...anyway, great choices; agree on pretty much all of 'em. I'm actually a little surprised to see Ginger on the list, though; would have never expected to see that on anyone's list of "great Nicktoons moments". Not that I'm against it, mind you; just surprised. I never really thought it was a bad show, per say (minus the ass ugly character designs, but that was pretty standard Klasky Csupo fare, when you think about it); the writing was usually pretty good, at least, and I appreciate what Nick was going for here with an animated drama. I give it more credit than most people tend to; it wasn't great, but still an OK series, IMO.

Dr. Insomniac

Aside from some typos, pretty good list. Other than replacing "Gaz, Taster of Pork" with something like "Tak: The Hideous New Girl", this would perfectly coincide with my favorite Nick episodes.

Avaitor

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 17, 2011, 11:17:18 PM
Aside from some typos, pretty good list.
Yeah, I kind of wrote this in a rush. I had to head out by 10 and was likely going to finish it the next day, but I was already over halfway done when I was planning on leaving. So I sped through everything else. I caught a typo or two before I posted it, but didn't give the list as thorough of a check as I did. I'll look into editing some stuff later.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 17, 2011, 11:17:18 PMOther than replacing "Gaz, Taster of Pork" with something like "Tak: The Hideous New Girl", this would perfectly coincide with my favorite Nick episodes.
TBH, I was probably going to go with the Halloween episode for Zim, but Chalmers suggested "Gaz, Taster of Pork", and since I love the character, I went with it. Tak's ep would have been another good one, too.

I don't think adding Ginger should have been a big surprise for me. I think I've made it pretty clear that while I don't love the show, I see enough good in parts of it to give love. Another episode I considered was "Hello Stranger", the one where Ginger wrote a poem about her estranged father. As a child with a distant dad myself, that really struck a chord with me when it first aired.

New blog!

Foggle

Very nice article! Too tired to update the html right now, but I'll get on that first thing tomorrow.

Sven Hoek, though...

Avaitor

Yeah, I figured that would be a surprising choice, particularly for Desen. I stand by my say in the article, though.

New blog!