Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Saying stuff like "tripfag" is completely acceptable. Using "faggot" in the derogatory sense is not. ;)

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 20, 2012, 11:56:00 PM
I don't know when these people took control of the industry, but it needs to stop.

Reminds me of when I heard that fangirls (most likely of the Fujoshi type) of Mamoru Miyano (Light Yagami's seiyuu) went ballistic when he announced his engagement, and sent death threats to either him or his fiance. What a pathetic bunch of "fans". And the industry caters to these people?

Dr. Insomniac

Since apparently DVDs are fucking expensive in Japan, and the only people who would choose to buy them are fanatics, studios have to pander to them in order to get the most sales. So I guess the only way to fix it would be if DVDs/BDs suddenly saw a fall in price value.

Spark Of Spirit

^Yeah, that's still an issue that needs to be addressed. These types of people are ruining everything to do with the subculture.

Quote from: Rynnec on February 21, 2012, 12:12:09 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 20, 2012, 11:56:00 PM
I don't know when these people took control of the industry, but it needs to stop.

Reminds me of when I heard that fangirls (most likely of the Fujoshi type) of Mamoru Miyano (Light Yagami's seiyuu) went ballistic when he announced his engagement, and sent death threats to either him or his fiance. What a pathetic bunch of "fans". And the industry caters to these people?
That's probably what this arc in the story is based on (same mangaka as Death Note), judging.

But yeah, I don't get the obsession with "purity" and "waifu"s in the current otaku culture. It's not enough that people do this in their spare time, but it is affecting Japan's output quite harshly and negatively as you can see from stuff like this and Insommy's review. For a subculture that is becoming dangerously niche instead of growing, this stuff is really damaging in a lot of ways.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

The problem with such pandering is that it comes at the expense of the overall quality and the alienation of all other audiences.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 21, 2012, 12:17:48 AM
Since apparently DVDs are fucking expensive in Japan, and the only people who would choose to buy them are fanatics, studios have to pander to them in order to get the most sales. So I guess the only way to fix it would be if DVDs/BDs suddenly saw a fall in price value.

From what I've heard, the reason DVDs/BDs are so expensive is because they're produced mostly for use by rental stores since they're not nearly extinct like Blockbuster is here. Though its true only the most hardcore fans pay that insane price for uncensored/fixed DVDs. My pal got lucky and found some japanese DVDs at a secondhand bookstore this weekend and paid 25 bucks for just 6 episodes. Kinda sad when that's considered a steal.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 21, 2012, 12:19:32 AM
But yeah, I don't get the obsession with "purity" and "waifu"s in the current otaku culture. It's not enough that people do this in their spare time, but it is affecting Japan's output quite harshly and negatively as you can see from stuff like this and Insommy's review. For a subculture that is becoming dangerously niche instead of growing, this stuff is really damaging in a lot of ways.

See here and here.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 21, 2012, 12:50:58 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 21, 2012, 12:19:32 AM

See here and here.
But like, where did this come from? It isn't something that came over time, it sort of just happened. I probably shouldn't throw stones though, I mean we have a pretty big manchild problem on this side of the world that is probably not going to get better any time soon and we even have our TV programs to cater to them too.

But the catering to this style of life is more worrying. Not say they should outright hate on these people or something, but by doing this they not only cease almost any chance of worldwide appeal (and lots of money) but they don't really offer anything new to anybody. I know why moe exists, but it really needs to be treated as what it is supposed to be; a niche fringe. When you let the niche take over the mainstream you end up with disco on the radio, 'reality' TV taking over the television, and movie games taking over video games. The death of variety, which leads to the death of the medium.

Entertainment's really taken a beating this last decade.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 21, 2012, 01:06:12 AM
I mean we have a pretty big manchild problem on this side of the world that is probably not going to get better any time soon and we even have our TV programs to cater to them too.
Wut? Explain further. :whuh:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on February 21, 2012, 08:37:49 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 21, 2012, 01:06:12 AM
I mean we have a pretty big manchild problem on this side of the world that is probably not going to get better any time soon and we even have our TV programs to cater to them too.
Wut? Explain further. :whuh:
Oh, never mind me. I'm just putting my own biases out there.  :sweat:

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Does this have anything to do with the average age of marriage being on the rise and the number of grown men who pursue their own interests while remaining single growing rapidly in the last decade?

Because I could totally live with a world like that.

Daxdiv

Yeah, I can sort of live in that world as well. I don't feel like I need a woman in my life right now.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on February 21, 2012, 11:30:22 PM
Does this have anything to do with the average age of marriage being on the rise and the number of grown men who pursue their own interests while remaining single growing rapidly in the last decade?

Because I could totally live with a world like that.
Heck, you don't even need that ever since the rise of the "mancave".

I'd rather people NOT be married or in a relationship than have those.

Edit: Uh, anyway, this is sort of drifting off topic.  :-X

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle