Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Insommy took the six hour challenge a few months ago. Here's an article about it: http://animationrevelation.com/readables/?p=2481

Dr. Insomniac

Seeing this after more than three months is a bit confusing, to be quite honest. I'd be scared for the man who wrote that article, until I realize that person was me. Then I fear ever more.

LumRanmaYasha

Pessimism over Toonami has generally annoyed me lately, but dammit Doc, that was hilarious.  :lol: I do hope you have taken proper therapy after suffering such a traumatic experience.  ;)

I myself have taken the six-hour challenge once. Well, unintentionally. I was staying up reading through the Attack on Titan manga, and I just had Toonami in the background. I don't remember much of what aired that night except for the last InuYasha, which was a filler episode involving Myoga's horny wife possessing people in order to find him for...whatever reason. Sadly, I actually found that episode more entertaining than pretty much any of the Attack on Titan chapters after the Female Titan arc.  :P

Anyways, awesome reviews as usual on the clusterfuck, guys.  :thumbup: Last season was the first I checked out a new anime series that wasn't a long runner while it was airing, so I wanted to try it again this season too. Besides Space Dandy (of course), I am enjoying Noragami and Silver Spoon 2 quite a bit. On the latter, I was wondering why didn't anyone review the first episode of Silver Spoon 2? And on a tangent, Foggle, did you watch the Seven Idols movie for Wake Up, Girls and the first episode or just the first episode? The reason I'm asking is because the movie is supposed to be watched before the first episode of the show and I have watched it and found it entertaining enough, though I too honestly am not quite sure what the show expects to accomplish by being a "realistic" idol story anime (being that I normally hate idol anime, the only reason I did and am still watching this series is just to see if it'll turn out to be a Bakuman of sorts for them).

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on January 21, 2014, 10:40:17 PM
Pessimism over Toonami has generally annoyed me lately, but dammit Doc, that was hilarious.  :lol: I do hope you have taken proper therapy after suffering such a traumatic experience.  ;)

I myself have taken the six-hour challenge once. Well, unintentionally. I was staying up reading through the Attack on Titan manga, and I just had Toonami in the background. I don't remember much of what aired that night except for the last InuYasha, which was a filler episode involving Myoga's horny wife possessing people in order to find him for...whatever reason. Sadly, I actually found that episode more entertaining than pretty much any of the Attack on Titan chapters after the Female Titan arc.  :P
I almost survived all the way through with him, but I had to drop out at 5:30. (Just in case you're wondering, Insomniac wrote most of the article, except for the introductory paragraph and a couple of sentences here and there. I was mostly moral support and proofreading.)

QuoteOn the latter, I was wondering why didn't anyone review the first episode Silver Spoon 2?
Juu was supposed to review it, but he ended up not being able to, and no one else wanted to take it.

QuoteAnd on a tangent, Foggle, did you watch the Seven Idols movie for Wake Up, Girls and the first episode or just the first episode? The reason I'm asking is because the movie is supposed to be watched before the first episode of the show and I have watched it and found it entertaining enough, though I too honestly am not quite sure what the show expects to accomplish by being a "realistic" idol story anime (being that I normally hate idol anime, the only reason I did and am still watching this series just to see if it'll turn out to be a Bakuman of sorts for them).
I only watched the first episode. I may go back and take a look at the movie soon, though.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on January 21, 2014, 10:57:19 PM

I almost survived all the way through with him, but I had to drop out at 5:30. (Just in case you're wondering, Insomniac wrote most of the article, except for the introductory paragraph and a couple of sentences here and there. I was mostly moral support and proofreading.)

5.5 hours is still almost completing it, so kudos on your effort as well.   :)

Of course, Vlord has done the 6 hour challenge over a dozen times or something. Surely, we are all spineless, weak-minded cowards compared to him.  ;)

One of these days I'm going to try and do the 6.5 hour challenge. Maybe on the last day Space Dandy airs (or, failing that, the last day Bleach does. A farewell to Dandy will be a sad goodbye, but Bleach finally going off the airwaves will be a cause for celebration :D).

Quote from: Foggle on January 21, 2014, 10:57:19 PM
Juu was supposed to review it, but he ended up not being able to, and no one else wanted to take it.

Ah, I see. That's too bad, though honestly Silver Spoon 2 plays off of established elements from the first season, so it's not quite a good point of entry for anyone who hasn't finished that anyway.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Great article, Avaitor!

I've certainly been enjoying the change of pace this season. I think it was for the best, and it should help put some new life into the show, without changing it fundamentally. After all, Archer was never really about the whole spy thing; at it's core it was about bickering co-workers and their relationships with one another. That stuff is still there in Archer Vice, but now the show has new opportunities and situations to put its characters in to stay fresh and funny.

I am confused about this line though:

QuoteFour episodes in, and this has got to be the best season of the show since season 4.

Was this intentional or a typo? I only ask because Archer Vice is season 5 so the statement doesn't make much sense. :P

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on February 05, 2014, 08:48:45 PM
QuoteFour episodes in, and this has got to be the best season of the show since season 4.

Was this intentional or a typo? I only ask because Archer Vice is season 5 so the statement doesn't make much sense. :P
Definitely intentional. ;)

I largely agree about Vice; it's been pretty brilliant so far. I was surprised to see the ratings drop from season 4, though. There seem to be some dissenters out there (mostly congregating at IMDb), but overall it seems to be incredibly well-received, and rightly so.

Avaitor

Oops, I meant since season 2.

I got distracted a bunch yesterday, so I didn't get much of a chance to proofread this.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Good write-up as usual. I actually stooped to watching this episode on my phone using 4G, since my Internet was down last night, because I couldn't wait an extra day to see it, especially after having to wait an extra 8 hours for CR to upload the episode. That's very telling of how great this series has gotten for me.

Foggle

WHAT A GOOD FUCKING EPISODE

Great work, Marquis. Dat comparison image.

Glad to see you're enjoying the show more now, E-K. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wrote this spoiler-free thing about this series that I like. Actually, it DOES have spoilers for Cowboy Bebop and 20th Century Boys, so you may want to refrain from reading this if you are one of the 0 people on this board who have no yet seen Cowboy Bebop, or one of the undeserving members who has somehow still managed to refrain from reading 20th Century Boys. ;)

Also, you may want to take a look at it before I realize how much I hate my own writing and decide to change everything up.

But, as I say in the write-up, this is merely only the first time of many that I'll be visiting this series. I will be coming back with new write-ups along with Cartoon X, who has agreed to work with me, and if possible I'll see if I can get Pharass to contribute his input as well.

Avaitor

Oh my, this is a fantastic article! It really makes me more interested in the series.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Glad to hear it! I'm also curious to hear your opinion on the art-work. It's very Tezuka-like with the simplistic designs and very fluid style of line-drawing, and last I recall I remember you saying that you liked that style with Black Jack (unless I'm confusing you for someone else). Either way it's a type of art design that you just don't see in manga anymore, and IMO it holds up extremely well. It's something that I wish I had praised more in my write-up, looking back at it, now.

But yes, the real heart of this series is in its writing. Interestingly, from what I've read about it, I believe it shares a similarity with Marvel comics of the 60's to 70's in that a lot of people thought it might just be kids stuff, but just like with stuff like Spider-Man and X-Men, it grew a huge cult following with college students during that time period, who drew the parallels between the series and real life, and helped make the character of Joe Yabuki into a Japanese icon, similarly to how a character like Spider-Man eventually became a house-hold name for a very similar reason in America.