Reviews & Features Discussion

Started by Foggle, December 27, 2010, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

Quote from: Eddy on July 10, 2011, 11:47:19 PM
Great review their, Kiddington!

I must have seen a cut down version of this movie or something. I don't remember seeing Vicky, Chester, AJ, or anyone besides the "important" characters to the plot at all during this movie. And I watched the entire thing. But I'm not complaining or anything, as it sounds like I got off easy.

Again, great job of reviewing that horrid piece of trash!
Yeah, I do believe they were showing an edited version after the fact. I noticed a couple of people commenting about that on Twitter earlier today.

I'm not sure exactly why they would do this, but I do find it funny that they cut out each and every scene with the three worst characters of the movie. I mean, everybody's pretty bad for the most part... but Vicky, Chester, and AJ were by far the worst of the group.

...and yes, by not seeing any part of Vicky, you definitely got off easy.  :light:

Avaitor

"Tootie; the insane, ugly girl"

I stopped reading right there.

This review REEKS of butthurt Trixie Tang shipper.

Uh... wut?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Commode

Haha, hope that's not our J!!!.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Yeah, I noticed that earlier. Don't 'ya just love trolls?  :happytime:

At first, I almost thought that was Mario500 using a different name, but then I realized this isn't really his posting style. If that were him, he would have lectured about my review being too negative, and there was no need to be so negative... because negative is BAD. =P

Foggle

I laughed a lot harder than I should have. :happytime:

Foggle

Part 1 of the Summer Clusterfuck is up!

EDIT: I added a new section specifically for Clusterfucks on the Features page, btw.

Commode

http://www.corvusonline.net/corvuschatter/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12420

Found this while I was googling this site(using the computer on the ship).  I want to say this is GregX's, but I can't be sure.  And there is some pretty big disagreements in there as well.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Heh, yep, that's GregX. I actually have an account on this board, but left after some changes in locations and power. And because some of the guys were jerks.

That last page is hilarious, though. Maybe I'll log back on to respond to everyone.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

This should probably go in the Top Cartoons Talkback thread, but I don't know how to move specific posts, so I'll let it slide. ;)

Wow @ that last page. I'm detecting some intense levels of butthurt. Go ahead and give them the what-for, dude.

Kiddington

This one actually made me laugh the most:

QuoteOK, looked up this group. Really not sure their credentials or anything. I would put more credence in this list if it was made up of persons actually from the industry, both the technical and writing side of things as well as actual critics. I would like to see some actual criteria used to judge these.
Since when do you have to have "credentials", and/or work in the industry to have an opinion on animation? Give me a break. We can't all have Jerry Beck's job.

...well, but hey, look at this way; you guys are getting some free promotion out of this. That's... something. =P

Avaitor

You know, I would be interested in there being a ranked list of animated works that gets remade every decade or so ala Sight and Sound.

I'd love to see what actual professionals have to put into a list like this.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Really, to be honest I'm actually surprised that there weren't more negative comments than what I saw. With lists like this you'll always inevitably get people who disagree, as no matter what you'll always have people with different opinions. That's all fine and good and I respect the people like Greg X who could express their opinions in a more civil manner. There were some really butthurt posters on there, though, but not as many as I would have expected.

I'm still surprised that we never got too many complaints specifically about Dragon Ball making it over DBZ or YYH making it in the top 10. The only person who complained about either of those shows on that thread is Greg X, and to be fair I can see where he is coming from as he always struck me as the type of guy who would not be so keen on shonen series, especially in how they differ from the formats of American action cartoons, which to be fair can be said to have superior formulas with faster pacing and such (though I would defend the entry as deserving of being high on the list no matter what). That said, we still got some positive responses to our list so its fair enough to say that we do have a lot of genuinely great and deserving entries on our list.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on July 13, 2011, 06:06:32 PM
This one actually made me laugh the most:

QuoteOK, looked up this group. Really not sure their credentials or anything. I would put more credence in this list if it was made up of persons actually from the industry, both the technical and writing side of things as well as actual critics. I would like to see some actual criteria used to judge these.
Since when do you have to have "credentials", and/or work in the industry to have an opinion on animation? Give me a break. We can't all have Jerry Beck's job.

...well, but hey, look at this way; you guys are getting some free promotion out of this. That's... something. =P
Most people in the industry and "real" critics don't tend to make lists like this. It's part of the reason we pushed to make something like this. As far as lists go, hate if you will, but I would like to see at least one link to a better one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 13, 2011, 06:48:27 PM
I'm still surprised that we never got too many complaints specifically about Dragon Ball making it over DBZ or YYH making it in the top 10. The only person who complained about either of those shows on that thread is Greg X, and to be fair I can see where he is coming from as he always struck me as the type of guy who would not be so keen on shonen series, especially in how they differ from the formats of American action cartoons, which to be fair can be said to have superior formulas with faster pacing and such (though I would defend the entry as deserving of being high on the list no matter what). That said, we still got some positive responses to our list so its fair enough to say that we do have a lot of genuinely great and deserving entries on our list.
I do know that Greg hates DBZ, and I guess the original Dragon Ball as well. And I don't know how much of YYH he's seen. I would think that Chapter Black would change his opinion, but if he didn't find anything special in the first episode, who knows what say to him about it.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I definitely don't see how anyone who saw any of the Chapter Black arc of YYH could possibly say that its "nothing special." And to be clear on what I mean, I could still perfectly understand if they said its still not their cup of tea or if they don't like that kind of story-telling, but I certainly can't see how anyone could deny the uniqueness and effort put into that arc by saying that its nothing special, especially for an action cartoon. If someone can call Avatar terrific despite not really doing anything truly stand-out in the medium until its 3rd season (well, that's at least what most people tell me, including my friends who are fans of the show), at the very least they can't call Chapter Black run-of-the-mill by any stretch.

I can understand if Greg X doesn't like DBZ (hell, even I have a shit-ton of problems with it, myself), and can even respect his opinion of he hates the original Dragon Ball just as much, but I sort of have a hunch that FUNimation's sub-par dubbing for DB might have given him a harsher opinion on the series. But, for what its worth I don't think that even he could deny the series's importance in animation, even if it was mostly an influence on anime than western animation.

Anyways, it'd be nice if somebody responded to some of the stuff that the more sensible users on that thread had to say. I'd do it myself but I actually can't give an adequate response for most of the series that people have problems with (either being or not being on the list), so I wouldn't be of much use there.