The Retro Gaming Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, November 20, 2011, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

You know what we need? Pokemon Channel 2. :blush:
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on April 22, 2012, 09:54:44 PM
You know what we need? Pokemon Channel 2. :blush:
Fuck. No. Pokemon Channel is quite possibly the most worthless "game" ever created.

Commode

I don't even know what Pokemon Channel is.  Aside from Snap and Stadium, I think the only spinoff Pokemon games I like are Pinball and Puzzle League/Puzzle Challenge.  I kind of wanted to try Trozei! as well.

Oh yeah, and the Trading Card Game(the Game Boy game, not the actual trading card game).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yes, Pokemon Pinball was great.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

My friend really likes the music in the game.  Specifically the music for the Meowth mini game.

Avaitor

I finally played a bit of Puzzle League at my friend's dorm a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. Gorilla Games has it for like $6 or $7, so I should probably get that already.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... whoa... whoa.. WHOA! What I am getting from this is that none of you ever played Pokemon Ranger? Are you serious? I mean I can understand not playing Mystery Dungeon, while the story is great in PMD, the gameplay drags on. Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of Dungeon Crawlers. But Ranger was one game that used the DS fully and I enjoyed the mechanics put into it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 22, 2012, 09:53:39 PM
I never got into the Stadium style game because I just didn't get the appeal. I mean, I get the appeal, but it's really not what I wanted.

Well, there's not much to really get, really. It essentially takes Pokemon to its essentials: the battles. That's the main reason I play Pokemon, anyways. I liked stadium because it allowed you to go through tons of different battles against really challenging trainers. That's my major problem with the actual gameboy games. The trainers were ridiculously easy in that game and offered up little to no challenge for you unless you were specifically doing a level handicap run. In Pokemon Stadium, all of the trainers were on the same level as you so it really allowed you to have fun and explore the depth and strategy of the combat system. I honestly wish there were more games like it, personally, or rather that the main games actually did feature trainers for you to compete with which were that challenging, later on in those games.

gunswordfist

I wish long running series would have less spinoffs and more actual entries to the series. Didnn't Pokemon's hype die down because they took too long to give us a real game after Yellow? I remember I lost interest and Ididn;t even get to play Yellow until around the time Silver & Gold came out.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I think it was the gap between gen 2 and gen 3 that lost a lot of hype. It took a long time for something that didn't really take advantage of the GBA all that much like it should/could have.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2012, 11:04:16 PM
I wish long running series would have less spinoffs and more actual entries to the series.
Crazy talk. Operation Raccoon City and Outbreak are obviously far better than any of the main series Resident Evil games.

Avaitor

I don't think the gap from Yellow to Gold and Silver was too bad. That was like what, a year? And I know that enough people were still playing catch up at that point that the wait wasn't a big deal at all.

I think the wait from Gold and Silver to Crystal or even Ruby and Sapphire did hurt the franchise more. But I think the fad really died down because... it was a fad. They just cool down in popularity after a year or two.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 22, 2012, 11:12:35 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 22, 2012, 11:04:16 PM
I wish long running series would have less spinoffs and more actual entries to the series.
Crazy talk. Operation Raccoon City and Outbreak are obviously far better than any of the main series Resident Evil games.
My bad. I'll shall never speak again.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

Pokemon Puzzle League is great. Even if it just Tetris Attack with a Pokemon theme.

And I really like Pokemon Snap, honestly. I find it to be a relaxing game. Just sit back and take photos of Pokemon. Plus, it was always fun triggering different things in stages to see what would make which Pokemon come out.

Commode

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 22, 2012, 10:50:30 PM
That's my major problem with the actual gameboy games. The trainers were ridiculously easy in that game and offered up little to no challenge for you unless you were specifically doing a level handicap run. In Pokemon Stadium, all of the trainers were on the same level as you so it really allowed you to have fun and explore the depth and strategy of the combat system. I honestly wish there were more games like it, personally, or rather that the main games actually did feature trainers for you to compete with which were that challenging, later on in those games.
Yeah, I noticed this doing a run through of Yellow recently.  The game starts off challenging when all you've got is Pikachu, who really isn't that good both offensively and defensively(given the fact he's a mouse) and of course has the disadvantage of having Brock as the first gym leader/the track through Mt. Moon, and you're pretty much forced to find a Pidgeotto in the Viridian Forest and start leveling it up quick.  But once you get to Cerulean and you can get Charmander/Bulbasaur it gets easier.  If you're just going though the game normally all the trainers you'll meet will almost always be at levels below you, and if you have a team like Pikachu/Pidgeotto/Dugtrio/Charizard/Blastoise/Venusaur(the team I had) you won't have any issues all the way through Giovanni.  It's after that that you are forced to grind, because at that point all of your Pokemon should be somewhere in the 50s, but at those levels the Elite Four will wipe the floor with you.  It's so strange the huge gap that lies between the latter game trainers/the last couple gym leaders and the Elite Four, you'd think Blaine and Giovanni would be tougher than they are.