Greatest Villain Tournament

Started by Pharass, January 27, 2011, 10:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pharass

Friends..

We have gathered today for one purpose and one purpose only:

To Conquer The World!!

Well, ok, we shan't do that yet. Instead, we have gathered here to decide which villain in fiction; books, movies, television and what have you, is the biggest and baddest bad guy of them all. The first match of round 1 will commence shortly, but first allow me to explain how the game works. It's really quite simply, quod erat demonstandum:

Each match will consist of five villains. Your mission is simply to rank these villains in order from best to worst. I need not point out that 1st place= Best, do I. Sooner or later, two out of these five will proceed to the next round. As for the other three, well I'll leave that to your imagination.

Well then, my lovelies. Shall we begin?

Round 1, Match 1

Commander Rehalt Guou (Guyver)

Vs.

The Weeping Angels (Dr. Who)

Vs.

Magica de Spell

Vs.

Magneto (X-Men)

Vs.

Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

1. Magneto
2. Vicious: While I do prefer "Cowboy Bebop" over "X-Men",  I can't help but find Magneto a slightly more interesting villain than Vicious. With that said, this snake in human form is unsettling enough to gain second place.
3. Magica de Spell: Aside from Glomgold, Magica is definitely my favorite of Scrooge's adversaries. Incidentally, my favorite comic featuring her is the one in which she has a wand that will cause whoever it's used on to forget the next word he hears. To wit: If the affected hears the word "walk", he will forget how to walk and has to crawl on his belly. Great stuff!
4. The Weeping Angels: I've seen their first episode, pretty spooky stuff.
5. Commander Guou: I've only seen a few episodes of "Guyver" (the 2005 animé that is, I haven't seen any of the other versions) but so far, I really like the "evil mastermind" vibe this guy gives off . Plus, look at that hair; it just screams villain. Or  maybe "Aunt May", I'm not sure.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

1- Magneto (Probably my favorite villain in the game.)
2- Magica (Doesn't stand much of a chance, but she's always been my favorite foe of Scrooge's. June Foray was a big part of that.)
3- Vicious (Honestly, I always found Vicious to be an average, if effective, rival. I'm more familiar with him than the following two, though.)
4- The Weeping Angels
5- Guou
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Magneto (Too much iron in your blood.)
Weeping Angels (Don't blink.)
Vincent (In the rain... in the rain...)
Magica (should rewatch DuckTales)
Guou (could watch Guyver)

Daxdiv

Magneto (He ripped out Wolverine's skeleton one time. That's pretty much the epitome of villainy)
Magica (I liked her in DuckTales, and what I've read from the old comics.)
Vicious
Weeping Angels
Guou

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm going to go ahead and say same as Avaitor for this round, for basically the same general reasons as he listed.

Honestly, as much as I love Cowboy Bebop, I was never that big a fan of Vicious. I mean, he was a well-made villain who had some terrific voice acting done for him in the English dub, but he honestly never stood out to me that much aside from being a fairly worthy adversary for Spike. He's fairly memorable in his own ways, but he's never been one of my personal favorite anime villains.

Pharass

Ok, guys, I think it's time to wrap this match up.

Now, when tallying the votes, I decided to go with a rather simple system (math not being one of my stronger subjects). Basically, 1st place= 5 points, 2nd place= 4 points and so on. Thus, the results for the first match are:

Guou= 5pts
Weeping Angels= 12pts
Magica de Spell= 17pts
Magneto= 25pts
Vicious= 16 pts

Magneto and Magica move on to Round 2.

Round 1, Match 2:

Iago (Othello)

Vs.

Alfred Bester (Babylon 5)

Vs.

Vincent (Collateral)

Vs.

Satan (Paradise Lost)

Vs.

Livia (I, Claudius)

----------------

1. Iago: One of Shakespeare's greatest villains (possibly the greatest), he is the template for all the false, treacherous "friends" in fiction.
2. Livia: Quite possibly my favorite female villain; Livia is not above poisoning her husband and her second son when she perceives them as threats to her schemes. Plus, she had all the best lines.
3. Milton's Satan: An incredibly persuasive villain who makes you root for him even as you realise what a petty, self-serving bastard he really is. Of course, the fact that he's the most interesting and complex character in the poem could have something to do with it.
4. Alfred Bester: Not only is this guy my favorite "Babylon 5" villain, but he's also my favorite human character on the show. I'm currently on season 4 and so far , I've enjoyed every episode he's appeared in.
5. Vincent: Haven't seen "Collateral"

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

I'm not very familiar with any of these pieces of work, but I'll try to vote anyway.

1- Satan
2- Iago
3- Alfred Bester
4- Vincent
5- Livia
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Out of all of the characters on this list, I am only familiar with 2 of them, so my voting will kind of have to reflect that:

Vincent
Iago
Alfred Bester
Satan
Livia

Pharass

Iago= 13pts
Alfred Bester= 8pts
Vincent= 8pts
Satan= 10pts
Livia= 6pts

Iago and Satan move on to Round 2.

The next match will be up shortly.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Round 1, Match 3:

The Wicked Witch of the West

Vs.

Eneru (One Piece)

Vs.

Horius Parry, Vicar of Rerek (The Zimiamvian Trilogy)

Damn it! I can't find a picture. I'm considering posting a quote from the book instead, how's that sound?

Vs.

Gordon Gekko (Wall Street)

Vs.

Biff Tannen and all his iterations (Back to the Future Trilogy)

--------------

1. The Vicar of Rerek: This guy is so damn obscure that his chances of moving on are slim indeed. A shame, because he's one of the most deliciously evil villain I've ever read about and completely steals the show from the rather stuffy hero.
2. Eneru
3. The Wicked Witch of the West: I think I prefer Roquat as far as "Oz" villains go, but she's definitely memorable enough for me to give her 3rd place.
4. Biff Tannen
5. Gordon Gekko: Greed may be good,  but unfortunately for Gordon I haven't seen "Wall Street".
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

The Witch
Eneru
Horius Parry (well, he's gotta be evil if we can't find any pictures of him)
Gordon Gecko
Biff (never really liked him, never really hated him. He exuded a quality of indifference for me.)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Awww....No picture for Eneru? Ah well, here's my votes:

1. Gordon Gekko (He's seriously underrated among movie villains, IMO)
2. Eneru (I think he's both a very fun yet sinister villain, who is also one of those evil guys who has an insane God-complex....except in this case he practically has the powers of a God to back up his ego with)
3. Biff (I'll be honest, I only nominated him because we needed to fill in some extra spots; don't get me wrong, I love him as a villain but he's far more of a fun villain that I really find to be memorable in all of his incarnations throughout the different time periods explored in the Back to the Future film trilogy, than he is a villain who can actually be taken all that seriously)
4. The Wicked Witch of the West (I think the book better portrays her villainy than the movie ever did, but either way its been ages since I've either read or watched The Wizard of Oz, so that unfortunately does affect my opinion of her since I don't remember her achievements as a villain too well)
5. Horious Parry (Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with this villain, but I'm sure he's great and memorable; I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I'm not too well-versed in villains from literature, anymore)

Anyways, this was a great round. I at least know something about all of the villains in this list (except for Horious, unfortunately), and I do have a liking for each of them that I know of (though with very different reasons for each).

Pharass

Ensatsu-ken: Considering that the guy is from an obscure pre-"Lord of the Rings" work of fantasy, I wouldn't feel too ashamed about not having heard of him before if I were you.

Anyway, for those interested, here's the low down on the character:

Horius Parry is (not unexpectedly) the chief villain of "The Zimiamvian Trilogy" by E.R. Eddison, which is set in the fiction land of Zimiamvia. Prior to the beginning first book, the king of Zimiamvia has been assassined and the two most powerful men in the land: Horius Parry, who is the regent of the land until the king's legitimate son comes of age (and the one who was behind the assassination) and Duke Barganax, the king's illegitamte child are duking it out for control of Zimiamvia. That's the gist of it, at any rate.

What makes Parry into one of my favorite villains of all time is how vivid and larger than life he is (I can't help but picture him like an evil Brian Blessed). While at first he appears to be merely an ill-tempered brute we soon learn that he's also a masterful schemer who makes deals that he has no intention of keeping and is patient enough to swear fealty to a rival more powerful than him until he's in a position to stab him in the back.

The guy just dominates every scene he's in and whenever the focus switched to the hero, I found myself wanting to read more of Parry doing wonderfully evil things, such as killing one of his own dogs, by biting through it's throat.

In short: E.R. Eddison was way better at writing villains than heroes, mostly because his heroes always come of as a bit too perfect.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Daxdiv

Gordon Gekko
Eneru
Biff Tannen
Horius Parry
Wicked Witch

gunswordfist

FUCK!!!!! I couldn't save Guou!!! Guou>>>>>>>>>David Xanatos.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody