What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Where do you find out when Netflix movies expire?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Sometimes they tell you when they're expiring underneath the picture in the menu. Sometimes the date passes and they don't expire, sometims there's no date and they just vanish.

Netflix can be real frustrating.

Oh, by the way, it's still up here in Canada.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finally got around to watching Edge of Tomorrow. I never read the original novel for All You Need Is Kill, but I did highly enjoy the manga adaptation. As for the movie, I enjoyed it a lot. Probably one of the most entertaining summer blockbusters from last year, which is saying a lot considering how strong the output was from that season of the year. I think it's also proof that you can do good Hollywood big-budget adaptations of stories originating from Japan if the source material is treated with respect (despite having clear differences in the movie, which is only natural for any adaptation), and if you have a good director, writer, and actors to execute it with.

It's a shame that the movie underperformed despite very good critical reception, though like many others, I'd blame that on the marketing not properly selling people on the concept of this movie. That, and the fact that Tom Cruise starred in the Sci-Fi flop Oblivion just a year earlier probably turned most movie-goers away from this film.

Spark Of Spirit

You can kind the novel in most bookstores now. I haven't seen the movie, but I've been wanting to pick the book up for awhile.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I plan to get around to reading it eventually. I've got some other books to get to first, though.

On another note, I just watched The Grand Budapest Hotel. While not my personal favorite movie of last year, it was definitely a throughly entertaining film with a great sense of wit and humor to the dialogue. It's also the only Best Picture candidate from the 2014 Oscars roster that I've managed to see, thus far. I still need to get around to Birdman and Whiplash. The rest don't really interest me that much, to be honest.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just re-watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Yep, still my favorite movie of all-time. Excellent acting, excellent cinematography, and arguably one of the best scores from one of the best composers in the history of film-making.

In particular I really love Sergio Leone's ability to get the best out of the actors in so many ways other than just dialogue. So many scenes give you nuanced impressions of the characters just through their subtle gestures and facial expressions. This is something that he has also utilized very effectively in both of his "Once Upon A Time" films.

Beyond that, I have been watching this movie since I was a kid, and it has never failed to entertain me.

Avaitor

I now own the entire Evil Dead franchise thus far on Blu, including 2K13. I'll try to get to it all sometime this week, but it's really that one that is my top priority.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I decided to take a break from studying today and watched It Follows, which was getting a lot of good buzz.

In terms of modern horror movies, it's definitely got something going for it, and I appreciate the old-school style of cinematography and the excellent musical score, but I can't help but feel like the film is far from the masterpiece that critics seem to be making it out to be, and while an entertaining watch, I wasn't the least bit scared by it.

Overall, it's a good film despite some problems, but also a bit overrated, IMO. I'm still glad that I saw it, though. I needed a break from studying all day.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched another horror film, this time of a more psychological nature, The Babadook. It was great, IMO, and incredibly well-acted. While I wasn't really scared by it, the story kept me constantly intrigued and not knowing what to expect. It also relies on very little violence and basically no jump scares, which is very refreshing.

Avaitor

Oh yeah, that's on Netflix now. I'll get to that soon, since it looks great!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

It is? Then so will I!

On this subject, only one film has ever scared me.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I love it when a movie takes something that you associate with childhood and makes it terrifying. In this case it's in the form of a children's pop-up book:

"If it's in a word or it's in a look, you can't get rid of the Babadook."

It's just such a catchy line that stays in your head, much like a nursery rhyme, except way more psychotic.

gunswordfist

Now I'm really interested. That reminds me, I still need to watch It. Creepiest film that I've never finished.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Do you mean Stephen King's "It" by any chance? That mini-series scared the hell out of me as a kid, though as an adult not so much because....it's Tim Curry in clown make-up, which is entertaining as hell, but not scary now that I can't get that out of my head. I still find it to be a really entertaining movie to watch, though, despite a really disappointing ending.

gunswordfist

Yep, It. I've only seen some of it..It as a kid. I just really remember the part where the clown's voice talked to the group that killed him. Pretty chilling.