Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Movies

Started by GregX, February 03, 2013, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 16, 2013, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 16, 2013, 12:14:54 PM
Let's talk about the good changes instead. This is the best one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I&hd=1
Die.

No kidding, that video is one of those things that goes past the point of "so bad it's funny" and straight down to "it's so bad it can't be funny" (at least that's how it is now, when I first saw it I nearly died laughing I must admit), because it could potentially destroy an awesome moment of the series for anyone. Luckily I generally forget that it even exists. I think I forced myself to. :P

talonmalon333

I had no idea where to post this, but one opinion I can never get behind is when people say Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom. Don't get me wrong, I liked Crystal Skull, but I feel like many make this claim as if to just say "Oh let's not pretend Temple of Doom was perfect either". And I'm not saying Temple of Doom was a great movie, either. Raiders and Last Crusade stand together on their own level.

Spark Of Spirit

I still like Temple Of Doom. It's a really silly, but really fun, movie.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I like Temple of Doom better than Crystal Skull, myself. I thought it was a fun movie.

A lot of people use the argument against it that it's racist and insensitive;because, you know, it's not like Indiana Jones movies EVER stereotyped any other cultures before or after this.[/sarcasm]

For the record, I'm Indian, and I've never had a problem with Temple of Doom for anything regarding racism. It's just silly stereotypes for the sake of being silly and fun, which is what the movie was going for. It trusted that it's audience was smart enough to tell the difference, but I guess they apparently weren't. For what it is, while I don't love the movie by any means, I thought it was a great adventure movie in it's own right. It's nowhere near as well-constructed or as fun as Raiders and Crusade were, but it's still a worthy addition to the Indiana Jones film-series, IMO.

As for Crystal Skull, I don't like it, but not for the same reasons as everyone else bitches and moans about. Just like how I didn't have a problem with Temple of Doom's silliness, I also didn't have anything against aliens being in an Indiana Jones movie. The way it was handled was done in a way in which it felt like it fit in with the general lore of the series. My problem with Crystal Skull was always that....it was boring. I could forgive Temple of Doom since it was still fun-spirited, and ultimately entertaining 80's cheese. As for Crystal Skull, though, it just didn't do it for me. It was neither well constructed enough nor silly enough to hold my attention. It was just a mediocre adventure story, which is why it's my least favorite Indiana Jones movie, personally. I don't hate it with a burning passion or anything like so many other people seem to (it takes A LOT for me to downright hate a film on that level, and Crystal Skull doesn't even come close to that), but I do generally agree with people that it's the weakest Indiana Jones film by far, even if it's for different reasons.

talonmalon333

Many people seem to find it boring for that same reason, minus the fact that you don't mind the aliens.

While I like the movie, I do think it's pretty average.

Angus

I need to rewatch the fourth one sometime, haven't had the inkling to rent it.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Not Another Teen Movie>every movie it parodies
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on September 25, 2013, 03:26:12 PM
Not Another Teen Movie>every movie it parodies
    10 Things I Hate About You
    Almost Famous
    American Beauty
    American Pie
    Better Off Dead
    The Breakfast Club
    Bring It On
    Can't Hardly Wait
    Cruel Intentions
    Dazed and Confused
    Election
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Grease
    The Karate Kid
    Lucas
    Never Been Kissed
    Pretty in Pink
    Risky Business
    Road Trip
    Rudy
    Save the Last Dance
    She's All That
    Sixteen Candles
    Varsity Blues
    Summer Catch
Can't agree.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

Yeah man, Not Another Teen Movie is great, but several of those movies are better.  Dazed and Confused alone is one of my favorite movies ever, but also Fast Times, the John Hughes movies, The Karate Kid, Road Trip...
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think you guys are forgetting what the title of this thread is. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

The thing is, I think Almost Famous is one of his favorite movies so I'm confused.

Avaitor

I don't even remember any Almost Famous references in the movie. ???

But I have to admit, I was off, and forgot about some great movies they touched, like yes, Dazed and Confused. But I definitely do prefer it to most anything John Hughes did for teens or a lot of the films that came out around that time (but clearly not all).
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I'm still waiting for the really unpopular opinions like "Triumph of the Will was more inspiring and moving than Schindler's List could ever be." or "Godfather Part III is better than the other two."

Commode

The Lord Of The Rings movies are boring awful bullshit.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.