Avaitor's Top 25 Marvel Stories

Started by Avaitor, May 12, 2012, 12:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 13, 2012, 02:39:47 PM
QuoteI do like the part when she tells Captain America that America is full of shit unlike what he remembers. So true.
Yeah, an America where civil rights was out of the question, being gay was considered a trip to the asylum, and lobotomies were viewed as an acceptable medical procedure is absolutely better than what we have now.

But back to comics, I'm seeing a noticeable lack of stuff from up to 10 years ago. I know that no one's a fan of the Quesada era, but there's still some gems, like Marvel 1602.
:D I know but I didn't want to get into because I didn't want to derail this topic, jackass.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 13, 2012, 03:08:09 PM
Clone Saga, One More Day, Onslaught Saga, and possibly something to do with statutory rape .
*Fixed...or wait, wasn't that the 80s? :sweat:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 13, 2012, 07:10:15 PM
Clone Saga, One More Day, Onslaught Saga, and possibly something to do with statutory rape .
There's a lot of bad examples.

Like Cannibalism.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 13, 2012, 07:22:57 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on May 13, 2012, 07:10:15 PM
There's a lot of bad examples.

Like Cannibalism.
And incest.

Avaitor

A pre-cursor to The Hunger Games, really.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

^^Haha, cannibalism. I was decided between that and statutory rape but the memory of something about Teen Titans The Judas Contract decided for me.

On to Brak's Avaitor Dad's top 5:

I rarely laughed as much in my adult years as I did Deadpool #11 and I clearly have never laughed so much during a comic book. I doubt another comic book will be able to poke as much fan at its own medium.

I heard they retconned Jean Grey's actions. Someone compared it with how Hal Jordan going mad and killing all those Green Lanterns' in Emerald Twilight was retconned in I believe Rebirth (I read both Emerald Twilight and Rebirth) with how a villain basically made him go on that killing spree so I'm guessing it's something like that. What's not heard to guess is the motives behind both retcons. "Heroes do no bad. Me good!"

So...so that's exactly how Gwen didn't. Everywhere I heard about it, it was kind of vague. I think I heard about how Spidey tried to save her with a web. Everyone here needs to read Spider-Man Blue. Not a single soul dies or even gets any kind of bad injury and Gwen's death isn't shown or detailed at all but it's still probably the saddest comic I've read to date. All you need to know is it's about Peter first meeting Gwen (don't know if that's a retcon or not, honestly doesn't matter because it'd be a great retelling at worst) and how her death still affects him even after he married Mary Jane (and especially on a certain holiday)

Avaitor

While digging through my collection, I found a great little epilogue to my #8 choice that I might just tag along- Avengers #280. Ir shows Jarvis in his hospital bed, still suffering from the attack by the Masters of Evil, as he's not spared the possibilities of his downsides. Right after, Tony Stark arrives to tell Jarvis that he would gladly pay for his loyal butler to retire with his full salary in check.

Jarvis seriously contemplates this, as he goes through flashbacks of his entire course with the Avengers. As many highs and lows as you can imagine from the beginning to that current point in time are brought up, straight down to Jarvis' final answer. It's a sweet little story, and a good introduction piece for newbies, since it contains a lot of recaps.

The next 5 issues right after it also lead to a great arc where Zeus brings the current team over to Olympus to pay for the near-death of his son. Thor is especially on trial, since Zeus considers him the most responsible for Hercules' pain. Also worth checking out if you can find them.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Hmm. Seems poignant.

On other good Marvel comics, you ever read Ruins? I really like what Ellis does to the entire Marvel Universe there.

Lord Dalek

Ruins just makes Marvels ever funnier. Poor Phil.

Avaitor

New blog!

Pharass

Great job, Avaitor. Your list certainly made me want to dig deeper into the Marvel-universe, since I've only read a few of the comics mentioned on it.

The Surtur Saga contains one of my favorite moments. It's when Thor, Odin and Loki are about to go to battle with Surtur and each one of them cries out his battlecry:

Thor: For Odin!
Odin: For Asgard!
Loki: For me!
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

It's "For myself!", but it's such a great scene nonetheless. And there's also a great epilogue story right after the arc finished, I believe Thor #355.

And for just about all of these, there's at least one or two very interesting What If's... to look up. But those may require more knowledge of the MU than just the stories I posted in question, which is why I didn't mention any of them.

New blog!

Pharass

My mistake. In my defense, it's been years since I last read that particular comic.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.