Channel Larry (EDIT: Channel Awesome renamed to just Nostalgia Critic)

Started by Commode, December 30, 2010, 12:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Daxdiv

Oh yeah, that's right. Forest Gump and Pulp Fiction came out in the same year. I keep forgetting that people that think that PF got snubbed are burned from Forest Gump. Whatever haters gonna hate, I love Forest Gump as well. Lt. Dan is my favorite character in that movie.

I remember watching Crash once in High School. I was wonder what I was supposed to feel during this movie. Was this movie supposed to make me feel bad about racism existing? I don't get it. I think my least favorite part was when that cop shot that kid in the car and he was just getting out a photo of something dear to him.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 10, 2012, 01:25:00 PM
Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2012, 12:46:13 PM

I love this movie. It totally deserved to--

NO.

I really don't like Pulp Fiction and think that Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors of our time. So yeah, he can go shove that movie up his ass. ;)

No disrespect to Avaitor, though, who I know considers this movie to be his favorite. I just can't get the appeal of it, myself.

Avaitor

That's still the biggest snub in Oscar history to my mind. Or at least it's tied with My Fair Lady beating Mary Poppins.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Biggest Oscar snub for me is In Bruges losing best screenplay to fucking MILK. Get that crap outta' here. :anger:

Avaitor

Milk's a good movie, but not because of the screenplay, which is pretty basic.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Pulp Fiction is a movie that is the classic definition of style over substance.

I like it, but 'Best picture' material? I don't see it.

The English Patient I never understood. I think that Seinfeld episode was pretty dead on with the movie, honestly.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

So, the Critic's latest episode was a crossover with Diamanda on Heavy Metal. I tried watching her once and stopped because I didn't care for her shtick, but she was okay here. The review was all right, but most of the Critic's jokes weren't funny. A number of them were just nitpicks disguised as jokes.

I think the reason why I was comfortable with this one despite it not being very funny was because it was decent when Hagan and the Critic gave the movie straight criticism.

I love Heavy Metal, as it has some good animation by early 80s standards (even if it doesn't hold up that well now). But what they said about each story ending right when they feel like they're getting started was spot on.

Yes it's based on an anthology magazine, but that doesn't mean the movie based on it shouldn't have a tighter narrative.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

In regards to the end of that video, is that a hint that maybe we'll be getting a crossover between NC and JO sometime down the road? I ask because I would totally want to see that.

Lord Dalek

They should totally do Akira together.

Commode

Not sure if this could also go into it's own thread but...

The NC has put out a list of his Top 11 Simpsons Episodes.  It's a pretty solid list, and I totally agree with his number one choice, even if it's not my favorite.  The episode is probably the best example of emotion in the show, of the characters being more than just cartoon characters and more like real people than the characters in live action sitcoms at the time, and it's at the start of the second season.  So yeah, totally agreed.

Nothing on the list past season eight though. :humhumhum:  Even all the THOH clips he showed are from season eight or before(except for one shot, at which he even makes a jab at).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Wow, the footage for "22 Short Films About Springfield" looks awful. I guess Doug doesn't own season 7 on DVD.

Huh, I thought #1 was going to be "Lisa's Substitute" based on your post, because I'm stupid like Bart. Honestly, I think that would be a fair top choice itself.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just saw the NC's review of signs. That's the first genuinely hilarious review of his I've seen in a long time. I was honestly laughing out loud through most of it. Sure, other people have torn the movie apart and picked apart most of the same flaws that the NC just did in this video, but he executes this review quite well regardless, with his own unique spin to the jokes. The NC's sense of humor really works in this review, I suppose, and this is one of the few that didn't feel like it was completely forced to be a half-hour long just to meet some status-quo (granted that it did seem somewhat stretched out, but most of the time it was actually funny to watch rather than just having a single good joke spread between every 5-minute interval).

Peanutbutter

I agree that his Signs review was good. It's been a while since the Critic went on a really good rant. I think this one was great because you can tell Doug's been waiting to do this one for long time. We practically had a preview of this episode when he did his "Movies I Hate that Everyone Else Loves" list. If Doug could pull of a good review over a popular film like Signs, then I don't see why he shouldn't go after Matilda. Especially since that would mean seeing Mara Wilson's awesomeness again.

Avaitor

You'd think that Doug himself would already be sick of Matilda after his rants and Mara Wilson cameo not that long ago. But hey, if he can do it and has been saving something up, more power to him.

Anyway, I really liked this one too. I actually think that so far, this has been NC's best year in a while.

New blog!